Problems with RW/FF (some shows worse than others)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Aveamantium

Problems with RW/FF (some shows worse than others)

Postby Aveamantium » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:20 pm

Some random FF/RW issues:

1) During playback (live and recorded) there are times when I can not go back past a certain point. On recorded episodes, I can restart HDHomeRun and the problem typically goes away.

2) During playback of recorded media, after skipping commercials the video will play for a second or two then freeze. Playback usually resumes after a few sec but not always. I can hit RW but the video will freeze at the exact same location? Again, restart usually will allow the video to proceed past the "freeze point". I can usually FF over the "freeze point" as well... This issue occurs more frequently on certain programs than others (Stephen Colbert show is really bad about FF/RW issues, regardless of episode).

I can play back on Plex without any of these issues so it seems to be limited to HDHomeRUN. I'm also exclusively using Windows 10 (App and Server). I can't remember this NOT being an issue with certain programs, I've just never reported it. ACC Passthrough has been disabled... Thoughts?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Problems with RW/FF (some shows worse than others)

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Are the recordings MPEG2 or H.264? We have come across an issue where certain H.264 recordings can have issues when seeking in the Windows 10 app.

Aveamantium

Postby Aveamantium » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:40 pm

Are the recordings MPEG2 or H.264? We have come across an issue where certain H.264 recordings can have issues when seeking in the Windows 10 app.
These are local channels (non-AVC) so I'm assuming they are being recorded in MPEG2...

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:48 pm

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

On the Windows PC
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest beta HDHomeRun Software for Windows from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the Digital Antenna or CableCARD tab
  5. Click OK
  6. Open the HDHomeRun app
  7. Move your mouse to the top-left corner and click on the hamburger stack icon that appears
  8. Enable Send diagnostic information
  9. Reproduce the issue
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and the time you encountered the issue (and which specific issue you saw) and we will check the logs.

Aveamantium

Postby Aveamantium » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Device IDs 13104043 and 1319830A

Watched a bunch of episodes of the Late Show starting around 3:30 this afternoon to about 6:30. Always happens after fast forwarding through the commercials. Episode starts after skipping commercials then freezes... Hit RW and it freezes the exact same spot but will resume after a few sec.

I clicked send diag. in the HDHomeRun App but forgot to do it in the setup as well. If this didn't work, I can easily reproduce...

dcalder

Postby dcalder » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Watched a bunch of episodes of the Late Show starting around 3:30 this afternoon to about 6:30. Always happens after fast forwarding through the commercials. Episode starts after skipping commercials then freezes... Hit RW and it freezes the exact same spot but will resume after a few sec.

I clicked send diag. in the HDHomeRun App but forgot to do it in the setup as well. If this didn't work, I can easily reproduce...
I have the exact same problem with the Late Show. At the start of his monolog it will freeze without continuing. Usually the second time I RW it will stop again at that exact same spot, but then a few seconds later the show will continue. Very easy to reproduce each night. It always happen when I skip to just as he starts his monolog. It doesn't seem to happen in other parts of the show as often after skipping and if it does, it will continue if you just give it a few seconds. Doesn't seem to happen often on other shows.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:37 pm

It has to be done in both in order to get the channel scan data. Also please provide specific times when the issue occurred, down to the second if possible, as it isn't always obvious in the logs when something happens.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:47 am

FWIW, and I realize that might not be much, I recorded two episodes of The Late Show With Steven Colbert (June 25 and 26). I tried letting it play all the way through to the end of the opening monologue, fast-forwarding to the very beginning of the opening monologue, fast forwarding through the first commercial break following the opening monologue--everything I saw Aveamantium and dcalder wrote was causing them issues. Everything worked flawlessly.

Setup

HDHomeRun Connect Quatro
Linux Mint 17 (Qiana) MATE running hdhomerun_record_x64 from the 20180418 build
Xiaomi MiBox 3 Oreo.

Aveamantium

Postby Aveamantium » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:10 pm

It has to be done in both in order to get the channel scan data. Also please provide specific times when the issue occurred, down to the second if possible, as it isn't always obvious in the logs when something happens.
Times are MDT:
13:36:20
13:54:45
14:08:55

Each time the video froze during FF through commercials and the only way to resume was to leave the episode and resume.

Thanks!

Thunderthud

Postby Thunderthud » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:07 am

"Each time the video froze during FF through commercials and the only way to resume was to leave the episode and resume."

This has been happening to me for quite sometime now as well. Windows 10.
Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:33 pm

I have a recording here I'm able to reproduce with and have reported it to the development team for further investigation.

Aveamantium

Postby Aveamantium » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:03 pm

I have a recording here I'm able to reproduce with and have reported it to the development team for further investigation.
Thank You!

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”