DVR problems

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rwade

DVR problems

Postby rwade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:45 am

I have HDHomeRun Connect Quatro.

I have HDHomerun Record Engine running on an 6TB WD MyCloud using manual install:

From a browser I can see the hardware:

I have Sony Bravia TV with HDHomeRun App loaded from Google Play Store.

When I start the HDHomeRun App sometimes I see that only 1 device is found and I do not get the Record button on the screen when the controls are visible, however Live TV does play correctly. When I go to see if the Recordings or Tasks, it says No DVR Setup.

BUT, sometimes when I start the App, I see that 2 devices are found and I see the Record button when the controls are visible, however Live TV DOES NOT WORK, I get Timeout Error and black screens for all channels. When I go to Recordings, I get a Loading message for quite a while and then it says No Recordings, if I then got to Tasks, it says No DVR Setup. But in one of my attempts at setting up a series recording on Discover, I was able to do so and it showed up on Tasks, but then it disappeared the next time I started the App (the App on the restart showed only 1 device as it started).

Any ideas what my problem is?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by rwade on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

jseymour

Re: DVR problems

Postby jseymour » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 am

Could be the MyCloud. In my research I saw many complaints about MyCloud NAS' falling off the network. Two most common "fixes" I've seen: 1. Give the MyCloud NAS a static IP address. (It can be a fixed DHCP-issued address, if you want.) 2. Don't let the MyCloud device sleep.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:01 pm

It looks like your NAS has hit the limit of being able to monitor directories for file changes. SSH in to the NAS and run:

Code: Select all

echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=524288 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf sudo sysctl -p
Then stop and restart the DVR. This will increase the limit so that more can be monitored.

rwade

Postby rwade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:39 pm

More info:
Eventually I got in on the Bravia with 2 devices and my missing task came back, then I added a few more tasks to get a couple more recordings.
The Recordings were made and show up in NAS directories as .mpg files, but App 'Recordings' still shows No Recordings.
HDHomeRun Apps on iPhone, iPad and FireStick seem to (almost) always show record button on controls bar, Live TV works, Tasks are there BUT STILL NO RECORDINGS even though they exist in NAS directories.

Then I went to my Win 7 PC and re-installed the HDHomeRun App for it. Aha, there was an install wizard there that let me enable the NAS automatically so I did, at which point even the HDHomeRun wizard said that the NAS hdhomerun_record had successfully started.

Still no recordings show up.

Then I used Jasons suggestion and got this:

Then I rebooted both the HDHomeRun Connect Quatro and the WD MyCloud (used 'sudo poweroff' in a Putty SSH session to shut down NAS properly and then cycled its power cable) and I also closed and re-opened the device HDHomeRun Apps.

Jason, which of the above was the 'DVR' that you told me to reboot (I assume the NAS?)?

And, amazingly, they all saw the existing recordings on the NAS (when they started with the Record button on the controls bar (record button still not always on the Bravia)) YEAH. :D :D

Only issue now is that the Win 7 PC App does not show DVR controls, Recordings or Tasks. I assume this is because the Win 7 App has not had DVR functionality added to it (hopefully at some point it will).

Will report other issues as i find them.

Thanks
Last edited by rwade on Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:35 pm

The Windows 7 app does not support the DVR. Given a choice of where to focus our development resources, it's behind a whole bunch of other things, like DVR improvements, Apple TV support, smart TV support, and so on. Windows 7 goes end of life in less than 2 years, and that weighs in too.

rwade

Postby rwade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:06 pm

Oh well, thats OK but I only just stopped using Win XP sp3 a couple years ago and expect to use Win 7 for a long time yet.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Given the trend of smart tv’s not being updated past 1-2 years of life, PCs and Macs which require more power...I applaud SD’s efforts on support of various low power consumption, lower cost, multi year updatable stb’s like Apple TV, Shield and other Android TV based boxes. Although not inexpensive when eol does occur...it will not be as costly as replacing a TV and ease of use for non computer types is a substantial benefit.

rwade

Postby rwade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 am

Still having problems with recordings not showing up in the App list but they exist on the NAS, starting new topic on this specific issue for ease of finding a solution for people with the same specific problem.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Do you have a ton of media files stored on the NAS and/or multiple things that might be monitoring those directories for changes, like the DLNA server on the NAS in addition to something else? The OS is running out of available monitors, and that's after we bumped it to half a million in your last post. This is the only instance I've seen where that hasn't been enough, but I suppose you might have a huge library and/or multiple things trying to use it. If you don't use DLNA or iTunes sharing you can turn those off and it would cut back the usage. Or, if there are some shares you have that have large folder structures but that you don't care about accessing media from (e.g. a share that you use for PC hard drive backups), then turning off media serving on that share would cut back on the usage.

rwade

Postby rwade » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

3 or 4 recordings on the NAS, thats all.

Currently only re-booting NAS forces a recorded sync and addresses my current problem.

I do have a large rsync backup share on that NAS though, will try turning off media sharing on that share as suggested.

EDIT: media sharing was already OFF on that backup share.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”