When do channel lineup changes proliferate? NUCLEAR SUMMIT not listed!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
averyfreeman

When do channel lineup changes proliferate? NUCLEAR SUMMIT not listed!

Postby averyfreeman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi,

I'm wanting to record the North Korea summit tonight on CNN and MSNBC, but the lineup still shows the usual prime-time lineup even though they've been advertising live coverage of the summit for the past week.

How does the lineup change? Why hasn't it changed by now? I can't record the stuff if it's not in the listing because it'll just think it's an already recorded show and skip it (i've been missing my 'Meet The Press' the last few Sundays, too... grrrr)

Thanks!

Edit: When will we be able to just hit the record button when viewing live and have it start recording?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: When do channel lineup changes proliferate? NUCLEAR SUMMIT not listed!

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:09 pm

CNN's listings on their own website don't show it, so not much anyone can do about that. The MSNBC listing for the SD channel is updated, but not the HD channel for some reason. It's too late for Gracenote to do anything about it since their data only updates once a day, but I can temporarily switch the MSNBC HD channel to the SD listing if you want to get the right metadata. What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun and what channel number is MSNBC HD?

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 pm

CNN's listings on their own website don't show it, so not much anyone can do about that. The MSNBC listing for the SD channel is updated, but not the HD channel for some reason.
Oh! What a novel idea, checking the broadcaster's listings! I can't believe I didn't think to do that... derp...
It's too late for Gracenote to do anything about it since their data only updates once a day, but I can temporarily switch the MSNBC HD channel to the SD listing if you want to get the right metadata. What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun and what channel number is MSNBC HD?
OK So Gracenote, I will have to read up about them, are they a service like Schedules Direct?

Re: Switching the SD lineup to HD,

MSNBC HD for Comcast Seattle lineup is 661
My two HDHRP numbers:
1326E235
1313788A

Never know which HDHRP is going to record what - although I noticed the recordings do appear to go to one first before the other.

What about being able to hit record button to record live? I think it's literally the only thing I miss about WMC.

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:13 pm

Gracenote is one of the main providers of listing data. They provide data to both us and Schedules Direct, as well as a number of cable providers.

I switched the listing over so you should be able to schedule it now.

To record live you'd have to hit the record button, then select the episode to record.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Gracenote is one of the main providers of listing data.
(and for others who may not be steeped in the industry) the three big names for US EPG are Gracenote (a Nielsen Company company), R.o.v.i. (corporately now known as TiVo) and FYI Television (Ericsson). They also typically have (various) international contractual arrangements. Each have their pluses and minuses, and just as with AV software for Windows, one can find point examples where one, or the other, is better or worse, than the others.

"Event" programming(*) is a challenge for all (and "event" programming is arguably the only remaining justification to even have Live TV (does anyone watch Live TV any more for non-event programming? If you raise your hand, you are one of the legacies, and not the future of content consumption as perceived by the content providers)).

(*) Breaking news (in this example), or live sports, are typically in this category, and are (to advertisers) are marketed as "DVR-proof" as they must be watched live (and include all those wonderful commercials). There is a push by some to move more and more content to be considered event programming (doing things such as audience voting for a few hours)).

averyfreeman

Postby averyfreeman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:03 pm

Gracenote is one of the main providers of listing data. They provide data to both us and Schedules Direct, as well as a number of cable providers.

I switched the listing over so you should be able to schedule it now.

To record live you'd have to hit the record button, then select the episode to record.
Yep, I see it in the listing - thanks a bunch, it's scheduled now (hopefully it won't think they're duplicates of the same program and record all the blocks)

Re: recording live - the problem with having it constantly tied to the listing is a couple things:
1) I've accidentally deleted or removed faulty recordings that were going to play again that evening, but the scheduler has them flagged as already recorded and will not record them again
2) Instances like this where the listing has the same title but span over several hours time may think it's duplicate
3) Sometimes stuff gets renamed ever-so-slightly so it doesn't record anymore (I think that's what happened with Meet The Press, or happens every so often when they append the names of hosts to news broadcasts that were previously listed generically, etc.)

Having the option to just hit record for the channel you're on would be really cool, and additionally scheduling record of a time span on a particular channel, too - to avoid the re-naming issue

Is this hard to implement?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:09 pm

All of the recording logic is tied to the listing data, so implementing that would require a fundamental change in how the engine works.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”