Nvidia Shield - Silly Burrito

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
elabra

Re: Nvidia Shield - Silly Burrito

Postby elabra » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:26 pm

To expand upon this for other readers, as I'm pretty certain gtb knows these things...
There is no assurance that 5GHz will work better than 2.4GHz, but in most locations, for most situations, the odds are improved with 5GHz.
The determining factor being primarily signal quality, which is usually primarily dependent upon signal strength.

5GHz generally will not penetrate building structures and so on as readily as 2.4GHz, and will lose strength more quickly over distance. Bottom line: Use it when you can. Use 2.4GHz only when you cannot use 5GHz.

And one small disagreement...
Anyone who actually requires or depends on performance, quality and reliability goes wired.
Sometimes not practical. IME a good, clean 5GHz connection can be as good as a wired connection. But this also depends upon the hardware. I have little faith in the average consumer WiFi router and will not use them.

This is not to say wired isn't always preferable, because I agree that it is, but that 5GHz wireless can be perfectly satisfactory.
For those where wireless wont work and who don't want to go through the trouble/expense of punching holes through walls and already have a wired coax home(i.e. from an existing cable setup) don't overlook MOCA devices which will share your existing cable wiring infrastructure at home &share the coax already in the walls to provide solid wired ethernet speeds of up to 1 gigabit while still sharing your coax with cable and/or OTA signals.

I have my unfinished basement wired with Cat5 and Cat6 (because is is unfinished and easy to do myself) and some 1st floor locations where I could easily wire from the basement up the wall to first floor.

For the upstairs I simply used some Actiontec devices and find they provide equal speed and reliability for my devices on the 3rd floor as the devices on Cat 5 or Cat 6.

The Actiontec devices are not cheap but cheaper than paying someone to wire Cat6 from the basement to my 3rd floor rooms and better than dealing with hit or miss 5Ghz wireless in some of the rooms upstairs.

Connectivity is solid and fast!

i.e.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded ... =actiontec

or

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Powerl ... =actiontec

elabra

Postby elabra » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 pm

To expand upon this for other readers, as I'm pretty certain gtb knows these things...
There is no assurance that 5GHz will work better than 2.4GHz, but in most locations, for most situations, the odds are improved with 5GHz.
The determining factor being primarily signal quality, which is usually primarily dependent upon signal strength.

5GHz generally will not penetrate building structures and so on as readily as 2.4GHz, and will lose strength more quickly over distance. Bottom line: Use it when you can. Use 2.4GHz only when you cannot use 5GHz.

And one small disagreement...
Anyone who actually requires or depends on performance, quality and reliability goes wired.
Sometimes not practical. IME a good, clean 5GHz connection can be as good as a wired connection. But this also depends upon the hardware. I have little faith in the average consumer WiFi router and will not use them.

This is not to say wired isn't always preferable, because I agree that it is, but that 5GHz wireless can be perfectly satisfactory.
For those where wireless wont work and who don't want to go through the trouble/expense of punching holes through walls and already have a wired coax home(i.e. from an existing cable setup) don't overlook MOCA devices which will share your existing cable wiring infrastructure at home &share the coax already in the walls to provide solid wired ethernet speeds of up to 1 gigabit while still sharing your coax with cable and/or OTA signals.

I have my unfinished basement wired with Cat5 and Cat6 (because is is unfinished and easy to do myself) and some 1st floor locations where I could easily wire from the basement up the wall to first floor.

For the upstairs I simply used some Actiontec devices and find they provide equal speed and reliability for my devices on the 3rd floor as the devices on Cat 5 or Cat 6.

The Actiontec devices are not cheap but cheaper than paying someone to wire Cat6 from the basement to my 3rd floor rooms and better than dealing with hit or miss 5Ghz wireless in some of the rooms upstairs.

Connectivity is solid and fast!

i.e.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded ... =actiontec

or

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Powerl ... =actiontec
OOOOPS!! I just realized the 2nd example/link was for Actiontec Powerline adapter not MoCA. I have not had as much luck with powerline adapters and found them to be less reliable and much slower than MoCA but have never tried thisActiontec brand Powerline adapter.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 pm

+1 For Moca I have all my Tuners Nasses Etc.. down in the basement and have the Moca adapters described above from the Basement to my Comcast Router and Switch upstairs.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”