Comcast XFinity - Card from receiver?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
swtm

Comcast XFinity - Card from receiver?

Postby swtm » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 pm

I had a bad receiver that was not being used at my house. About to cut the cord and go with HDHR, so I went into Xfinity local store after chatting with an agent online. Returned my old receiver to get the new one. Told the agent I wanted to get a cable card instead. He said "we don't offer cable cards at all, sir". I said something about the agent saying I could get a card, and he said no cards, just receivers. So then, he pulls a receiver out of the storage, looks new and all wrapped up. He sets it on the counter and points to the card easily accessible inside the receiver and said "you're the second guy who has asked me for a card. There it is". So, I got the receiver and the card's inside.

I then had to get an agent over chat tonight to help activate the signal so I could get cable using the receiver. Should I be able to remove the card from the receiver and plug it directly into the HDHR Prime to get rolling?

GetMatt

Re: Comcast XFinity - Card from receiver?

Postby GetMatt » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Go talk to another agent. They do offer cablecards a and are required to provide it to you in lieu of a cable box.

mikeb
Silicondust

Postby mikeb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:21 pm

From a technical standpoint yes, the card from the reciever can be used.

However where you can run into problems is that Comcast treats that card and the receiver as one entity from an inventory and activation point of view -- the card is often burried behind security screws and anti-tamper labels and is only ever intended to be used within the receiver, meaning you may run into issues getting that particular card reprogrammed. The original receiver uses a two-way protocol with the cablecard relaying status to Comcast through the cable system while devices like the HDHomeRun are one-way where activation involves you reading status information off the screen to Comcast support.

You should try to get the cablecard directly from Comcast as GetMatt said above.

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:29 am

I have Xfinity/Comcast and have two Tivo's and 1 HDHomeRun Prime and am using 3 cable cards from them. Make sure to get the multi tuner cards and not the single tuner cards. Talk to another representative.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:03 pm

I plan on getting the new tuners when they are released for sale but I dread having to go through the activation process with Comcast.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:20 pm

I have Xfinity/Comcast and have two Tivo's and 1 HDHomeRun Prime and am using 3 cable cards from them. Make sure to get the multi tuner cards and not the single tuner cards. Talk to another representative.
They are also required to provide multistream CableCard by default.

chipwitch

Postby chipwitch » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:56 am

I had to actually CALL them. Not all their stores are setup to provide the card. No idea why that is such a challenge. Very inconvenient for me. I drive right past a store, but had to drive 20 miles to the store that handles them for my area. I think making them available but not convenient is part of their strategy. I believe they lost a lawsuit against requiring their customers to rent their equipment. They don't make enough money on the cable service apparently. :?

captjoe06

Postby captjoe06 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:55 am

I called xfinity and am having three cards sent to me just in case the first or second doesn't work and they are providing a free return box for the other two cards once I get the HDHR Prime set up. The lady couldn't have been nicer on the phone.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”