Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bdbauer

Re: Grid Guide

Postby bdbauer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 am

I just moved off Comcast so I've had a grid guide for years. I still missed a lot of upcoming shows because it wasn't easy to search. I actually like the Discover tab because the searches come back so quickly, and it searches descriptions as well as show names.

My biggest frustration with HDHR is the inability to filter out the (36 of 43) channels I don't care about. They're the only company I know of that doesn't have that. A grid guide won't be very useful either if 85% of it is junk.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:53 am

I just moved off Comcast so I've had a grid guide for years. I still missed a lot of upcoming shows because it wasn't easy to search. I actually like the Discover tab because the searches come back so quickly, and it searches descriptions as well as show names.

My biggest frustration with HDHR is the inability to filter out the (36 of 43) channels I don't care about. They're the only company I know of that doesn't have that. A grid guide won't be very useful either if 85% of it is junk.
If you do not care about the channels disable them in my.hdhomerun page.

bdbauer

Postby bdbauer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:21 am

Well now I feel dumb. I had selected favorites, but I never expected clicking the star icon one more time would disable it. Thanks!

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:23 am

Well now I feel dumb. I had selected favorites, but I never expected clicking the star icon one more time would disable it. Thanks!
Perhaps they should have a key or legend, if you will, at the top of the page making this more evident. Assuming there isn't one.

tsimitpo

Postby tsimitpo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 pm

Well, I decided to plop down the $8 per month to use the more intuitive interface of ChannelsDVR. It has a grid guide, but it is cumbersome to use if you want to see what shows are on a certain channel in the next week or so. I have also not had the best experience with its reliance on transcoding and remuxing video to display through a web browser interface. Still nowhere close to Windows Media Center for overall DVR functionality.

If the grid guide costs more money, why not have an option to pay a bit more per month for one? Also really need to work on a better solution for playback. Perhaps provide an option to use VLC as the player?

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am

Well, I decided to plop down the $8 per month to use the more intuitive interface of ChannelsDVR. It has a grid guide, but it is cumbersome to use if you want to see what shows are on a certain channel in the next week or so.
Suggest an enhancement to the developers. They're pretty good about entertaining enhancement requests if they're not silly or outrageous.
I have also not had the best experience with its reliance on transcoding and remuxing video to display through a web browser interface.
I've had the opposite experience. Haven't used it much (I don't tend to watch TV on my computer), but it's performed flawlessly for me.

Remote playback on my iPad has likewise been flawless.

I didn't much like the idea of $8/mo. (there is an $80/year annual option, btw) or the per-app purchase costs, either. But both my wife and I are delighted with the results. Night-before-last, for example:

Wife: "Is such-and-such is set to record?"
(We were watching something else.)
Me: "I'm pretty sure I set it up. Just check on your iPad"
Her: "Oh yeah..."
<later...>
Me: "Did you check?"
Her: "Yeah."
Me: "Cool, isn't it?"
Wife: "Sure is!"

slaingod

Postby slaingod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Been using WMC with HDHR Prime for about 8 years. WMC has been fine for a long time, but then the quide data went bad, and SchedulesDirect solved that. Then Comcast started using some x264/AVC codec that the XBox360 extenders freeze on when you skip forward through commercials towards the end of a show, once or twice a night, which is very frustrating.

So I asked the wife today (after reading this thread and seeing that my channels aren't covered with DRM):
"So let's say we had an new DVR system, that didn't have that freeze problem once or twice a night, but it meant you didn't have a guide in grid format?" Response: "No way! Are you crazy?"

That is the problem for a lot of us. No amount of reasoning or 'showing them a 'better' way' will move them. I'd be happy to pay $20 annual for the DVR with Grid, and with BYOGuideData from SD.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:30 pm

That is the problem for a lot of us. No amount of reasoning or 'showing them a 'better' way' will move them.
There are other solutions that seem to offer what you want. If these features are deal breakers for your household, choose one of those alternatives.

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:33 pm

That is the problem for a lot of us. No amount of reasoning or 'showing them a 'better' way' will move them.
There are other solutions that seem to offer what you want. If these features are deal breakers for your household, choose one of those alternatives.
Curious about this - there are literally zero alternatives that support DRM. It would be nice to offer an option.

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

I have been exceptionally critical as of late, and I too hate that fact, but I hope it is understood that I am only offering constructive criticism. I love the project, I love the idea of the product, and the hardware has been beyond exceptional.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Curious about this - there are literally zero alternatives that support DRM. It would be nice to offer an option.
Actually there is one, whose predecessor hardware variants have been in the market for over a decade now. While I have not set foot in a Best Buy for quite some time, they used to be available in store to purchase and walk out with one.

slaingod

Postby slaingod » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Actually there is one, whose predecessor hardware variants have been in the market for over a decade now. While I have not set foot in a Best Buy for quite some time, they used to be available in store to purchase and walk out with one.
So while I know that paying $20 a year here or $20 there means paying ~$2-4 a month amortized, it does come down to the cost in for me, and who I am willing to paying it to. I could of course just go with my CableCo's offering and pay $50 a month extra for that, but I would rather poke my eyes out. I guess it comes down to if the grid is worth $60 a year to the WAF and I am ok with that, if I for example subtract out the SD price from Channels.

Funny story: I was in an EE lab in college while a friend was tinkering with digitizing NTSC signals with a custom circuit on an oscilloscope. His name is on the (expired) patents of the company I assume you are alluding to. I still had a ReplayTV before I had the HDHomerun prime. :)

There is a sunk cost fallacy that could be at play, but the idea of spending $100's on a bunch dedicated hardware plus a monthly fee when I have plenty of PCs and other universal devices available that can do the same thing seems wasteful, and I make weird choices sometimes when it means things might otherwise go to waste.

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

I have been exceptionally critical as of late, and I too hate that fact, but I hope it is understood that I am only offering constructive criticism. I love the project, I love the idea of the product, and the hardware has been beyond exceptional.
It's unfortunate that my comment [removed by moderator - see forum rules] was deleted. What harm is it letting that post be?

edit: I see that discussing patents is somehow against the rules. That's a curious one for sure. So outside of using that word in the prior sentence stating that using said word is against the forum rules, I have otherwise removed references to said word. I hope that's fair!
If this is somehow supposed to fall under the FUD umbrella, then I call shenanigans. This is a mature discussion regarding a product and its future, and a wish to incorporate features to which this entire thread is dedicated (and otherwise remains up and uncensored). I know that "grid guide" is apparently contentious, and inclusion of such has been tricky and thus alternatives have been heavily defended out of necessity, but can we not discuss changes in the tides? [removed by moderator - see forum rules]. We, the community beta testing your product, deserve some feedback. More importantly, we, who helped fund the kickstarter, most definitely deserve feedback, especially as to the future direction. We want this product to succeed, and we would also want to see modern features incorporated... [removed by moderator - see forum rules].
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, [removed by moderator - see forum rules], and I feel it is of little effort to readdress it in light to recent developments. Is it really too much to ask?

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:08 pm

If I'm thinking what you're thinking, that's a total set top box solution and not software. So let me clarify: there is no modern software solution that provides DRM-compatible DVR for the PC or consumer hardware in home, which is exactly what this forum would be about, considering we are talking about an HDHR Prime with CableCARD inserted, whereas the STB solution that you allude to would be inherently incompatible (due to the fact that, you know, said CableCARD would have to be inserted into it, and not the HDHR Prime, and thus stripping HDHR software from the picture).

So no, I refuse to accept that said STBs are competitive with HDHR DVR. So while instead we can utilize a dying Windows Media Center, that is, in fact, a dying/dead horse, no longer supported on Microsoft's latest OS family.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17 pm

There is a sunk cost fallacy that could be at play
You should to do a fully encumbered cost analysis for all alternatives. And that would include replacing the partner (with one that would be more open to alternative presentations!). For use of existing hardware, remember to include power in, and power (heat) out, and the cost to (eventually) replace and the cost (to the environment) of the lack of recycling (unless you are one of those that believe that dumping all e-waste in China has no cost), and your time (which is either very valuable, or free) to maintain those PCs (would you not rather go fishing?). In some cases, for a PC, the cost of electricity is itself close to $50/yr if left on all the time (as would be necessary for a DVR). Some of those costs are not directly yours, but they all add up, and few bother with the fully encumbered cost calculations. The cheapest solution is to stop watching TV and read a book (at least until you calculate how much it costs to keep your local library open, in which case you might argue to have it closed to reduce your tax burden for the few that use it now that everything is available on the 'tubes (I see more people using the computers in the local library than browsing the stacks for a good read)). Yes, I have gone far off topic, but most people cherry pick their cost calculations to support their already made up mind. Which is fine, as long as they understand that that is what they did.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Quick reminder that this is a support forum - discussion relating to patents isn't allowed as per forum rules.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”