Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
zerid

Re: Grid Guide

Postby zerid » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:13 am

Hey guys I know this post is pretty old but I was curious if SD changed their mind about this. I noticed that Plex has implemented a grid guide for it's Plex Pass members, but also gives the user the choice to choose between the old interface and the grid guide. I remember reading something awhile ago the reason SD wasn't doing the grid guide because of the cost. I payed for the lifetime Plex Pass before the price was raised so the grid guide isn't costing me anything. Anyone know if SD is planning to do the same or are they firm on the whole we think our guide is better?
nope, pretty sure it will not happen in the foreseeable future.
What I find a little interesting is Plex's monthly cost versus other comparable offerings that include a grid guide. All I've ever heard was how expensive it is to provide a grid guide. As a lifetime member, they stand to lose money from me.
I was thinking the same thing, either it's not as expensive as everyone think, or they are going to eat the cost. They could be recouping the cost elsewhere, who knows at this point.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:23 am

nope, pretty sure it will not happen in the foreseeable future.
All I've ever heard was how expensive it is to provide a grid guide.
I was thinking the same thing, either it's not as expensive as everyone think, or they are going to eat the cost. They could be recouping the cost elsewhere, who knows at this point.
I don't understand the "expense" argument. Whether it's an "On Now" type guide (which is what Channels calls it) or a grid guide, isn't it the same EPG data?

I hadn't really felt a grid guide was all that big a deal. In retrospect I think I was only telling myself that so I wouldn't miss it using SD's apps. But I switched to Channels' apps and I have to say I much prefer a grid guide. Rarely use their "On Now" guide. Same with my wife.

Cuvis

Postby Cuvis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 am

All I've ever heard was how expensive it is to provide a grid guide.
I don't understand the "expense" argument. Whether it's an "On Now" type guide (which is what Channels calls it) or a grid guide, isn't it the same EPG data?

I hadn't really felt a grid guide was all that big a deal. In retrospect I think I was only telling myself that so I wouldn't miss it using SD's apps. But I switched to Channels' apps and I have to say I much prefer a grid guide. Rarely use their "On Now" guide. Same with my wife.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 am

Why don't we wait until the new ui is released and see what it looks like ...

ppilot

Postby ppilot » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am

Are we probably looking at an early fall release for that?

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

We are ;)

Deihmos

Postby Deihmos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:06 am

The new UI does not have a grid guide I was told.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:35 am

The new UI does not have a grid guide I was told.
Speaking for myself, I'm not (wasn't) expecting one. I support their plight to "reimagine" the DVR/Guide.

jbahlman@gmail.com

Postby jbahlman@gmail.com » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:52 am

I don't miss the grid guide after i have used the sd app for the last year. Most of my shows other than sports are watched later, so i don't do much looking. When i do, the slice works justs fine. This app is sooo much faster than the old Verizon boxes were. I just want a few of the other features that are left out.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 am

I don't miss the grid guide after i have used the sd app for the last year. Most of my shows other than sports are watched later, so i don't do much looking. When i do, the slice works justs fine. This app is sooo much faster than the old Verizon boxes were. I just want a few of the other features that are left out.
+1 I too do not miss the Grid Guide ... I like to scan for what is on now and next that is easy with the current guide.... Even in Plex that now has the grid guide I prefer the non grid guide.

But if it is possible to implement a grid guide and still keep the current then SD should do it... for those users that prefer grid guide.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:02 am

I find Discover Tab totally useless. First, I KNOW What channels I watch. Past 20 years there has never been anything on other channels I would watch. So historically, there never will be so why would I want to scroll through tons of 'thumbnails'? Most of those channels I have already X'ed out, but feel that is way too much trouble for average users. I only use Discover Tab Search bar to find a show to record. Then I have to know the exact spelling. Where do I find this info? Commercials, TitanTV guide or my local newspaper. I certainly can't find anything using the 'reimagined' Guide. If I had a way to type numbers on my remote for the XBox, I wouldn't even use that side guide at all.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:16 am

I find Discover Tab totally useless. First, I KNOW What channels I watch. Past 20 years there has never been anything on other channels I would watch. So historically, there never will be so why would I want to scroll through tons of 'thumbnails'? Most of those channels I have already X'ed out, but feel that is way too much trouble for average users. I only use Discover Tab Search bar to find a show to record. Then I have to know the exact spelling. Where do I find this info? Commercials, TitanTV guide or my local newspaper. I certainly can't find anything using the 'reimagined' Guide. If I had a way to type numbers on my remote for the XBox, I wouldn't even use that side guide at all.
I won't lie, I'm hoping for improvements. At least an option to sort things in a linear fashion wheter by date, time, alphabet, etc. The perceived randomeness is madening at times when you are looking for something specific. Searching with an on-screen keyboard is less than ideal. As I said, I support their plight but I'm hoping for more "imagination".

grumpygramp

Postby grumpygramp » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 am

If they're not going add a grid guide then we should at least have the ability to filter the results by channel.

Also multi select combined with filters would be good. Say I want to record 4 movies that appear in a row on the same channel; right now it takes 12 to 13 clicks/presses to get this done; if we had multi select you could get it done in 6 clicks/presses.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:33 am

My bottom line concern is not increasing the yearly fee for DVR subscription with 14 day guide. If it's possible to include the licensing fees for linear grid guide in the $35 a year, no problem.

I watch within the Live Channels app about as much as within the HDHomerun app, and LC uses a linear grid guide. If I'm searching in the Discovery Tab, I will only enter the least amount of letters necessary, which may give me more results, but bypasses the incorrect spelling issue,...( simple typing Sven will bring up Svengoolie, but, if I enter it wrong, like Svenghoulie I may get no hit).

What's great is we have lots of options to view what our HDHomerun tuners receive. I particularly enjoy that it is integrated into Live Channels, and seems to be working well there now. I have all my OTA channels, about 200 Pluto Channels, and TVirl adds in another 2000 m3u playlist channels from everywhere in the world, all in one linear grid guide.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Postby Ken.F » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 am

...( simple typing Sven will bring up Svengoolie, but, if I enter it wrong, like Svenghoulie I may get no hit).
Speaking of guides and Svengoolie, this was in the monthly newsletter:

We want everybody to know- we are well aware that many cable and dish providers have been changing what they list our program as, in their guides. Though some still list us as “Svengoolie,” others now list us by the movie name- which means, anybody setting their DVR to record “Svengoolie”- ends up with- nothing! We have no control over this- the national listings service, which provides the information to the providers, seems to list the show as whatever they want- so, if you record the program, always double-check what it’s listed as so you won’t miss it!

Gracenote is pretty good about listing it as the Svengoolie series but occasionally it gets listed by the movie name.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”