Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rykr

Re: Grid Guide

Postby rykr » Tue May 22, 2018 7:08 pm

... Grid guide (Excel spreadsheet), seems sooooo archaic in today's age....
I appreciate your perspective. The common wheel probably seems pretty archaic to someone who spends all their time on supersonic transports, but as old as it is it's still pretty darn useful to a gardener pushing a wheelbarrow. I've been an engineer/scientist for nearly 4 decades now and I'm still looking for something that puts more information in front of me at a glance than a basic grid. I'd bet even the calendar on your smartphone is laid out in grid style.
I hear ya on the grid guide. It is superior but the discovery page is useful too. [removed by moderator]
Thanks for the tip on TVheadend - I'll definitely be looking into it.
I have TVHeadend working well but be warned it doesn't natively support hdhomerun prime tuners. I have a custom build working here and there is quite a bit of setup work necessary. I have mine working well but it's not "turn key"

rykr

Postby rykr » Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm

“If DRM is not a concern, Tvheadend has a great DVR option for FREE.......... hahaha, I like free.”

Personally, I am very willing to pay for the additional functionality of Channels vs TVheadend, most notably the comskip function, although there are many other features on Channels. DVR which are superior. The only way to decide is to test Channels DVR for a month.

Channels automatically marks commercial breaks and utilizes a 1-2 button comskip function (depends on remote) when viewing. For those of us totally commercial adverse (and lazy), one can view utilizing MrMC (ATV/iOS or Android) or Kodi...both of which automatically skip the commercial breaks.
I've been tempted by Channels DVR even though I have comskip integrated into my tvheadend setup so my commercial breaks are marked as well and auto skipped by kodi and I don't have to pay the $8 per month. But I will say that I think the user experience/WAF of the channels app is superior to kodi especially on tvOS.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:17 pm

If they still had those and the alka seltzer commercials...I’d definetly not use “skip” function :lol:
Maybe considered cruel and unusual punishment, but I MAKE my young granddaughters watch at least one or two episodes of the oldies from the 50's, 60', 70's, etc., every time they come over. They are learning the characters names and info about their lives, thanks to **Bertha**. They come prepared to binge watch Back to the Future, 1, 2,3, at least every other month.

But I record all the oldies (at least few episodes of each show), with the commercials intact..... Their idea of media consumption is YouTube 90% and Netflix 10%, of course that is only in their spare time, the majority of their time is texting, or whatever they do on their phones.

But, I must confess, I do all my recording, and live watching, using the HDHomeRun app. BUT, I prefer Kodi for watching my recordings. It is much, much easier for me to find **shows** that I wish to record, using the HDHomeRun app, but then, again, I am OTA, so not a lot of diverse channels to confuse me. I am easily confused, I prefer to keep it simple, the KISS method.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue May 22, 2018 7:18 pm

“If DRM is not a concern, Tvheadend has a great DVR option for FREE.......... hahaha, I like free.”

Personally, I am very willing to pay for the additional functionality of Channels vs TVheadend, most notably the comskip function, although there are many other features on Channels. DVR which are superior. The only way to decide is to test Channels DVR for a month.

Channels automatically marks commercial breaks and utilizes a 1-2 button comskip function (depends on remote) when viewing. For those of us totally commercial adverse (and lazy), one can view utilizing MrMC (ATV/iOS or Android) or Kodi...both of which automatically skip the commercial breaks.
Ah, but I seek out those "old" commercials, **where's the beef**, and now you want to kill those for the next generation?? :)
If they still had those and the alka seltzer commercials...I’d definetly not use “skip” function :lol:
" I can't believe I ate the whole thing"

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:22 pm

" I can't believe I ate the whole thing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKifpMtlNs

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Maybe considered cruel and unusual punishment, but I MAKE my young granddaughters watch at least one or two episodes of the oldies from the 50's, 60', 70's, etc., every time they come over. They are learning the characters names and info about their lives, thanks to **Bertha**. They come prepared to binge watch Back to the Future, 1, 2,3, at least every other month.

But I record all the oldies (at least few episodes of each show), with the commercials intact..... Their idea of media consumption is YouTube 90% and Netflix 10%, of course that is only in their spare time, the majority of their time is texting, or whatever they do on their phones.

But, I must confess, I do all my recording, and live watching, using the HDHomeRun app. BUT, I prefer Kodi for watching my recordings. It is much, much easier for me to find **shows** that I wish to record, using the HDHomeRun app, but then, again, I am OTA, so not a lot of diverse channels to confuse me. I am easily confused, I prefer to keep it simple, the KISS method.
Bad Grandpa 8-)

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Speaking of commercial skipping - is there any indication whether this will be possible once DRM recording is functional? I know with WMC recordings marked copy-once could not be [easily?] edited to skip commercials. Because of that and how many channels/programs get marked copy-once by my lovely provider (hint: everything that's not a standard OTA channel), I just never got into it and just resigned myself to the FF (and almost always RW because I went too far!) buttons on my remote when I got to the commercials.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed May 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Editing of recorded DRM content is not/will not be possible. It would violate the basic concept of "copy once" by creating a second-generation copy.

ppilot

Postby ppilot » Fri May 25, 2018 9:06 am

Speaking of commercial skipping - is there any indication whether this will be possible once DRM recording is functional? I know with WMC recordings marked copy-once could not be [easily?] edited to skip commercials. Because of that and how many channels/programs get marked copy-once by my lovely provider (hint: everything that's not a standard OTA channel), I just never got into it and just resigned myself to the FF (and almost always RW because I went too far!) buttons on my remote when I got to the commercials.
Look up a program called MCE Buddy. It's super easy to setup, worth the money to pay for it and the premium comskip program, and works seamlessly with the HDHomeRun platform.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri May 25, 2018 9:50 am

Look up a program called MCE Buddy
And it will not work with protection required content (and it does not claim to) because it goes through the stream looking for transitions. If the content is encrypted, user mode programs can not work, for they will not have access to the unencrypted content. The alternative solutions which provide (out of band) transition information (i.e. commercial and scene detection) use different approaches (some decode the stream in otherwise protected environments, and some include humans as the final arbiter), but eventually share the timestamps of those transitions out of band which can be acted upon. AFAIK there is no current crowd-sourced commercial timing site.

Skip forward 30-seconds (or so) is the poor persons solution for skipping the commercials with fully protected content if you do not use one of those alternative commercial solutions which pay to provide their customers with commercial timing information.

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Fri May 25, 2018 8:06 pm

Editing of recorded DRM content is not/will not be possible. It would violate the basic concept of "copy once" by creating a second-generation copy.
I expected such. Thanks for clearing that up.

zerid

Postby zerid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Hey guys I know this post is pretty old but I was curious if SD changed their mind about this. I noticed that Plex has implemented a grid guide for it's Plex Pass members, but also gives the user the choice to choose between the old interface and the grid guide. I remember reading something awhile ago the reason SD wasn't doing the grid guide because of the cost. I payed for the lifetime Plex Pass before the price was raised so the grid guide isn't costing me anything. Anyone know if SD is planning to do the same or are they firm on the whole we think our guide is better?

Mediaman
Expert

Postby Mediaman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:32 pm

Hey guys I know this post is pretty old but I was curious if SD changed their mind about this. I noticed that Plex has implemented a grid guide for it's Plex Pass members, but also gives the user the choice to choose between the old interface and the grid guide. I remember reading something awhile ago the reason SD wasn't doing the grid guide because of the cost. I payed for the lifetime Plex Pass before the price was raised so the grid guide isn't costing me anything. Anyone know if SD is planning to do the same or are they firm on the whole we think our guide is better?
nope, pretty sure it will not happen in the foreseeable future.

zerid

Postby zerid » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:36 pm

interesting.....

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:10 am

What I find a little interesting is Plex's monthly cost versus other comparable offerings that include a grid guide. All I've ever heard was how expensive it is to provide a grid guide. As a lifetime member, they stand to lose money from me.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”