Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
spencer777

Re: Grid Guide

Postby spencer777 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:06 pm

It is required to access the DVR and remote access to the DVR.
Right... my bad.

At my house MCEBuddy has already been doing (most of) what Plex wishes it could do - for about 15 years now.

I haven't really found the need to change what's been working so well for so long. A quick trip down the forum threads about Plex-DVR make it pretty clear I've made the right choice.

;)
Yeah Plex DVR is quite bad. Emby is more polished and more reliable as far as DVR but a little weak on LiveTV tuning. Channels DVR is the best as far as scheduling more flexible of the paid options also has remote access .... but not even close to SageTV (open source) now that they have gone to 64 bit.

HDHomeRun DVR is the most reliable and fastest (tuning) but it has the weakest way to schedule recordings.... way too limited... plus it is the only one without a grid guide.
I think Hdhr is the best way to schedule recordings. You can pull up all shows Netflix style. I liked Emby, but it can't do that. Channels can kind of do that.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Right... my bad.

At my house MCEBuddy has already been doing (most of) what Plex wishes it could do - for about 15 years now.

I haven't really found the need to change what's been working so well for so long. A quick trip down the forum threads about Plex-DVR make it pretty clear I've made the right choice.

;)
Yeah Plex DVR is quite bad. Emby is more polished and more reliable as far as DVR but a little weak on LiveTV tuning. Channels DVR is the best as far as scheduling more flexible of the paid options also has remote access .... but not even close to SageTV (open source) now that they have gone to 64 bit.

HDHomeRun DVR is the most reliable and fastest (tuning) but it has the weakest way to schedule recordings.... way too limited... plus it is the only one without a grid guide.
I think Hdhr is the best way to schedule recordings. You can pull up all shows Netflix style. I liked Emby, but it can't do that. Channels can kind of do that.
It is good for certain things … I like retro horror movies but there is no way that I can tell the HDHRDVR to record all horror movies on my Retro channel … I use Sagetv for this … as I can schedule by Genre type and channels also by actors and lots more. I use HDHR for series not movies.

BTW I am just discussing all this because there is not much for us Prime users to talk about so I appreciate the conversation … :D :D :D :D

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:46 am

For 3 years I've been waiting for a WMC replacement. Your software is useless to me without a grid guide. I'll pay for an alternative guide service for WMC, or just drop your product all together. It's been a nice 9 year run though.

scyto

Postby scyto » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:02 pm

[removed by moderator]

que2

Postby que2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 am

As an original contributor to the Kickstarter DVR campaign I thought I'd drop by and leave 2 cents. As much as I would like to implement the HDHomerun DVR in our house, the consensus was that no one wants to give up the grid guide and that's with 2 streaming addicted kids. I appreciate the efforts put forth by SD to create a new GUI however as a business you have to also realize that you have to provide a product that appeals to all customers, not just those who share your vision of what a DVR interface should be. The SD Homerun DVR is legitimate alternative to cable company and **** DVRs, I would respectfully ask you reconsider your position give users the option of a regular DVR grid guide. Best of success in 2019 and going forward.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Postby clarkss12 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:06 pm

As an original contributor to the Kickstarter DVR campaign I thought I'd drop by and leave 2 cents. As much as I would like to implement the HDHomerun DVR in our house, the consensus was that no one wants to give up the grid guide and that's with 2 streaming addicted kids. I appreciate the efforts put forth by SD to create a new GUI however as a business you have to also realize that you have to provide a product that appeals to all customers, not just those who share your vision of what a DVR interface should be. The SD Homerun DVR is legitimate alternative to cable company and **** DVRs, I would respectfully ask you reconsider your position give users the option of a regular DVR grid guide. Best of success in 2019 and going forward.
Try some third party solutions. Emby has a nice traditional Excel spreadsheet guide, but the way your recordings are displayed is fantastic. I was a long time Kodi (XBMC) user, with tvheadend DVR server for my live and recorded media, but have since migrated to Emby (was not enthused with Plex).

As far as ** looking ** for something to watch/record, this native HDHomeRun app can't be beat, none of my third party apps come even close.

que2

Postby que2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Try some third party solutions. Emby has a nice traditional Excel spreadsheet guide, but the way your recordings are displayed is fantastic. I was a long time Kodi (XBMC) user, with tvheadend DVR server for my live and recorded media, but have since migrated to Emby (was not enthused with Plex).

As far as ** looking ** for something to watch/record, this native HDHomeRun app can't be beat, none of my third party apps come even close.
I think you missed the entire point of the message. None of the other solutions you reference will work with DRM protected cable channels. A larger question might be why should end user even have to deal with third party solutions? SD has successfully developed a DVR product, all I am suggesting that it appeal to a broader base of customers as whatever one may think about a grid guide, it is the preferred format for a significant number of customers. To that point, Channels DVR might not even exist if HDHomerun DVR had released a GUI with option for standard grid guide. Are those subscribers or customers insignificant? Again, I wish SD continued success I only ask they reconsider the status quo regarding providing a standard grid guide as an option.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Postby GGRussell » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:22 pm

Again, I wish SD continued success I only ask they reconsider the status quo regarding providing a standard grid guide as an option.
[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

que2

Postby que2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Again, I wish SD continued success I only ask they reconsider the status quo regarding providing a standard grid guide as an option.

Karter

Postby Karter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 am

We have 10 PCs in our household, I made the choice years ago to retain the WMC solution, IMO nothing in the past or now does as good a job as it does. With the recent decision of Microsoft to drop it's guide service, we installed the EPG123 solution, and it actually is far superior to the old WMC guide information.

While Silicondust's first priority was dedicated to a hardware solution, they have done an excellent job. Their programming choices, again IMHO, are not their strong point, perhaps in the future they will move forward and offer alternatives. But I want to thank them for what they have provided.

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Postby mcewinter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:36 am

FWIW, MS is not removing guide data. They are removing metadata lookup for movies and music.

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:47 pm

FWIW, MS is not removing guide data. They are removing metadata lookup for movies and music.
Good to hear. I do appreciate the work SD has done, it's just frustrating to hear that they wouldn't even consider a grid. That was the whole reason I was a kickstarter supporter; WMC replacement.

younginvisions01

Postby younginvisions01 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Good to hear. I do appreciate the work SD has done, it's just frustrating to hear that they wouldn't even consider a grid. That was the whole reason I was a kickstarter supporter; WMC replacement.
I completely agree!!! Disappointed with SD's decision not to provide a grid option. People prefer choices. The don't like being forced to cope with something that you aren't completely satisfied with. It's like ordering a salad, but only given one choice of dressing, or going to a bakery that only sells chocolate cake, going to the bank to get 100's and all they have are 20's, buying a car and it only comes in 1 color... I could give many examples, but I hope they get the point.

[removed by moderator]

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:32 pm

I completely agree!!! Disappointed with SD's decision not to provide a grid option. People prefer choices. The don't like being forced to cope with something that you aren't completely satisfied with. It's like ordering a salad, but only given one choice of dressing, or going to a bakery that only sells chocolate cake, going to the bank to get 100's and all they have are 20's, buying a car and it only comes in 1 color... I could give many examples, but I hope they get the point.

[removed by moderator]
I see lots of options,...Live Channels app is FREE and has 14 day linear guide. Last December I purchased a lifetime Plex Pass for $79, that also has a linear guide. My girlfriend prefers Channels app for her Apple TV, that also features a linear guide.

bruiserker

Postby bruiserker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:03 pm

[removed by moderator]
I see lots of options,...Live Channels app is FREE and has 14 day linear guide. Last December I purchased a lifetime Plex Pass for $79, that also has a linear guide. My girlfriend prefers Channels app for her Apple TV, that also features a linear guide.
Those other options don't handle DRM channels. Only WMC, which IMO is by far better than the current offering from SD, has a grid guide and supports DRM without a monthly fee.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”