Grid Guide

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bdbauer

Re: Grid Guide

Postby bdbauer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:00 pm

It's certainly not the most convenient thing, but TitanTV provides a good grid guide and you can configure favorites. It can show what is on a specific channel for three days at a time. It just isn't connected to the DVR at all, so if you find something you want to record you'll have to go to HDHR and find it in Discover.

Again, it's not a great solution but I don't know of a better way to see what's on a channel in the coming days. It does have a record button and I may write a small Windows program that adds an item to the HDHR DVR when I get some idle time (but the data it provides isn't exactly what HDHR DVR is looking for).

unklmik

Postby unklmik » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:10 am

With a WAF of 00.00% for the slice style grid, there will be nothing other than WMC for Windows 8.1 Pro in this household. Two laptops, 3 desktops. and 1 Android TV. If SD were to offer an extra cost grid style EPG (maybe including EPG 123) for all OS platforms, we would convert (in my case, to Android and/or Windows 10) to a newer supported OS. Of course, a free grid EPG would be better.

It's taken me over 8 years to get the WAF up to 75%. Even now, she still has to ask/call me as to how to operate the remote, watch a specific channel or schedule a recording. Most times, I just try to stay away from her.

All kidding aside, the old grid style EPG is much simpler and easier to use, even for me.

jboymichelstein

Postby jboymichelstein » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:28 am

I agree that it is simpler. I like that the spectrum (time warner) on demand app has both options. As well as a list of my favorite shows so I never miss anything. I am not talking about favorite channels. If they are so set on a slice discovery guide, they should at least let me make a list of everything i want to watch when the seasons start. Looking through 300+ channels per time slot to find what is on is more than frustrating. You scroll from 7pm to 8pm then the discover page jumps back to the top cause it is still loading the images. I would rather have just a title that I can actually read instead of an image. I still use WMC for my daily usage along with the spectrum app on my samsung tv. HDHR is manly for live tv (since spectrum will not release a android tv app) in the bedroom. I record things I watch by myself so my wife doesn't get pissed at me.

ReyRaym

Postby ReyRaym » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:06 pm

Grid guide is a deal breaker.
I just started the trial.

1. I'll have to buy new boxes that support the HDHomeRun App, probably at $40+ per.
2. Have to pay a yearly subscription fee to use the DVR service, even though it is hosted on my own network & hardware.
Should just be a one-time purchase, like most software, with add-ons/major upgrades for purchase.
3. Coming from a WMC setup, my only cost is cablecard fees and electricity. :D
Plus, I'm gonna have to convince the whole house into this. :|

Anyway, at least the option to switch/add-on a grid guide. Been trying to use Emby, but it is laggy/unreliable for Live TV at best.

One last plea.....PLEASE. PRETTY PLEASE.

Thanks

JeffRand
Device ID: 131C369D, 1321FB16

Postby JeffRand » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:58 am

@ReyRaym I was recently censored for saying hell would freeze over before we see a grid guide. Apparently I was wrong, so your wish is granted. Or at least SD said they were "considering it".

rpcameron

Postby rpcameron » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:36 pm

@ReyRaym I was recently censored for saying hell would freeze over before we see a grid guide. Apparently I was wrong, so your wish is granted. Or at least SD said they were "considering it".
In the past, Nick had stated that a grid-based guide would never happen. More recently Nate said he was unaware of such sentiment and that it was a future possibility. Where the truth is might be somewhere in between.

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:06 pm

2. Have to pay a yearly subscription fee to use the DVR service, even though it is hosted on my own network & hardware.
Should just be a one-time purchase, like most software, with add-ons/major upgrades for purchase.
I believe what you're paying for is the guide info, which is not free.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:53 pm

Confirming, guide data is an ongoing cost we pay per customer.

As a comparison, most open source DVR solutions use Schedules Direct which is also a once a year payment.

Nick

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:59 pm

Confirming, guide data is an ongoing cost we pay per customer.

As a comparison, most open source DVR solutions use Schedules Direct which is also a once a year payment.

Nick
Emby and Plex both use Grid Guide (gracenote) and offer lifetime membership... I very rarely use the HDHomeRun to view llivetv or recordings because I prefer grid guide also. I can easily see what is on for the next 2-3 hours on my favorite channels in 1 glance.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Postby nateb » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:23 pm

Emby and Plex both use Grid Guide (gracenote) and offer lifetime membership... I very rarely use the HDHomeRun to view llivetv or recordings because I prefer grid guide also. I can easily see what is on for the next 2-3 hours on my favorite channels in 1 glance.
True, but those lifetime memberships are over a hundred bucks. For that cost, you're effectively locking yourself into using our software for a minimum of 3 years to recoup costs. I guess it could be an option to look into.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 pm

True, but those lifetime memberships are over a hundred bucks. For that cost, you're effectively locking yourself into using our software for a minimum of 3 years to recoup costs. I guess it could be an option to look into.
But you also get remote access ;)

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:32 pm

Plex Pass in no way, shape or form, is required for remote access. Plex will NEVER see a thin dime from me until they start putting users first (instead of last) and I've had remote access since day one. Plex Pass in no way, shape or form, provides special support above and beyond what is considered No Support (their current customer model). There's a few myths about Plex Pass exposed!

Here's a myth about a grid guide exposed - even Plex realized early on they were going to be in big trouble with users (which for Plex is amazing) if they didn't come up with a grid guide. Now THAT right there should tell everybody something.

;)

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:28 am

Plex Pass in no way, shape or form, is required for remote access. Plex will NEVER see a thin dime from me until they start putting users first (instead of last) and I've had remote access since day one. Plex Pass in no way, shape or form, provides special support above and beyond what is considered No Support (their current customer model). There's a few myths about Plex Pass exposed!

Here's a myth about a grid guide exposed - even Plex realized early on they were going to be in big trouble with users (which for Plex is amazing) if they didn't come up with a grid guide. Now THAT right there should tell everybody something.

;)
It is required to access the DVR and remote access to the DVR.

ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Postby ACraigo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Right... my bad.

At my house MCEBuddy has already been doing (most of) what Plex wishes it could do - for about 15 years now.

I haven't really found the need to change what's been working so well for so long. A quick trip down the forum threads about Plex-DVR make it pretty clear I've made the right choice.

;)

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:27 pm

Right... my bad.

At my house MCEBuddy has already been doing (most of) what Plex wishes it could do - for about 15 years now.

I haven't really found the need to change what's been working so well for so long. A quick trip down the forum threads about Plex-DVR make it pretty clear I've made the right choice.

;)
Yeah Plex DVR is quite bad. Emby is more polished and more reliable as far as DVR but a little weak on LiveTV tuning. Channels DVR is the best as far as scheduling more flexible of the paid options also has remote access .... but not even close to SageTV (open source) now that they have gone to 64 bit.

HDHomeRun DVR is the most reliable and fastest (tuning) but it has the weakest way to schedule recordings.... way too limited... plus it is the only one without a grid guide.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”