Where are latest promised UI Improvements?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
DebbieFL33

Where are latest promised UI Improvements?

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 pm

I’m trying to refrain from nagging about DRM improvements...even though it’s the paramount feature on my wish list. I realize this can be a long, arduous process and applaud SD for all of their efforts.

But what about the SD announced improvements to the UI? To me, these improvements are solely within SDs control. I (and others) have been anxiously awaiting release, but still no joy. Although I currently do not use SD DVR due to several factors (UI and limited process features) being a “quasi kickstarter” backer the possibility of significant improvements interests me.

It is getting very tiresome to check on this forum and see no progress. Channels is moving forward by leaps and bounds...IMO it is the premier DVR service. Plex although slow on solving problems is adding new features on a regular basis. Other traditional DVR services may not be adding features, however, have had better functionality for years...although not the breadth of platform usage.

jasonmcroy

Re: Where are latest promised UI Improvements?

Postby jasonmcroy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:10 pm

I am not usually one to jump in on threads of this nature, but I really have to agree with you on this.

I stopped using the SD DVR about a month ago and I have been using Emby exclusively. Don't get me wrong, on the recording side of things I find the SD DVR to be rock solid and the guys have done an awesome job! This isn't meant to take away from that at all.

I really want to like the SD DVR overall but there are just too many missing things with the UI and I check back here almost daily hoping for the promised update. I am totally willing to come back and use it if it comes along with something better on the UI end.

I have even tried out the Channels DVR and paid for a month and paid for the Android App. I really like their UI and setup. The ONLY thing I can't think with in using it exclusively is the $8.00 per month fee. To me, it's not worth that amount.

Anyway, I really hope the re-design comes pretty quickly as I would like to try it out.

Bagpuss

Postby Bagpuss » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:06 am

I'm very much looking forward to the new software too.

Channels is the gold standard by which all other software should be judged in an Apple household for sure. But I agree with you on the $8 a month for the DVR, it is hefty, and I'm sure it must put many folks off, especially if you've laid out the cash for iOS and Apple TV versions of the client apps.

rykr

Postby rykr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 am

I agree with you guys on all points.

One, updating the UI is not rocket science and supposedly they have been working on it for months. And nothing? Not even a simple UI to group channels? Not even a simple view to see the recording schedule? Developing simple things like this even with the current UI wouldn't take more than a week or two and still they insist on irritating their most loyal supporters with *nothing*. Just not good business.

And I also don't understand channels charging $8 / month. Do they not understand that dropping it to $4 per month very likely more than double or even triples their user base increasing their overall revenue? I know at $4 per month I'd more than likely switch. Again, just not good business. I think the Walmart model works best here. Make a little money off *lots* of customers.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:04 pm

One, updating the UI is not rocket science
Silicon Dust has released all the commands needed to create your own.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:47 pm

But I agree with you on the $8 a month for the DVR, it is hefty, and I'm sure it must put many folks off, especially if you've laid out the cash for iOS and Apple TV versions of the client apps.
But also note that Channels sees more rapid development. You get what you pay for.

ppilot

Postby ppilot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:54 pm

But I agree with you on the $8 a month for the DVR, it is hefty, and I'm sure it must put many folks off, especially if you've laid out the cash for iOS and Apple TV versions of the client apps.
But also note that Channels sees more rapid development. You get what you pay for.
Channels also is focusing on the easier part of the equation. SiliconDust unfortunately is splitting time.

Van

Postby Van » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I'd ditch HDHR App for Android TV Live Channels if I can. HDHR UI and usabilities are just awful. I could care less about DVR since most of the major channels have VOD apps or "GO" apps or "Now" apps. I just want to watch Live TV with DRM support. I only have two options right now: the old green app and RUI on Samsung. I have to disable DVR, something that I paid for, to use RUI.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

Channels also is focusing on the easier part of the equation. SiliconDust unfortunately is splitting time.
I don’t know what you mean.

sspell

Postby sspell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

How about this SD development instead of ready all apps for all platforms get the windows 10 UWP app out or turn your focus on the platform most ready if it has DRM. As a beta tester would be willing to put up with a few bugs if usable without pulling the hair out Ha! Windows 10 is my preference since I invested in the DVR for that platform but whatever throw us that bone man!

rykr

Postby rykr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:45 am

One, updating the UI is not rocket science
Silicon Dust has released all the commands needed to create your own.
haha. That's your argument? I have no right to complain about the pace of development because I could write my own? That's ridiculous and also not entirely true. Apparently it is impossible to use their API to get a list of specific recordings that will happen. Just look at the web ui that is unable to give you a specific list of upcoming recordings.

ppilot

Postby ppilot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:19 am

Channels isn't dealing with anything on the DRM side which makes their overall road map much simpler.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Channels isn't dealing with anything on the DRM side which makes their overall road map much simpler.
I guess my core concern lies there. SD seems to be trying to be all things to all people, and consequently doesn’t have enough internal resources to move efficiently on anything.

SC is a great hardware company. It is, howvmever, having loads of difficulty becoming a software company. I’d rather see them sell off the DVR business and just make great hardware. It was a good idea but they have struggled to keep up with expectations from the beginning of their Kickstarter campaign.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:08 pm

I guess my core concern lies there. SD seems to be trying to be all things to all people, and consequently doesn’t have enough internal resources to move efficiently on anything.

SC is a great hardware company. It is, howvmever, having loads of difficulty becoming a software company. I’d rather see them sell off the DVR business and just make great hardware. It was a good idea but they have struggled to keep up with expectations from the beginning of their Kickstarter campaign.
I disagree they are close to DRM and that is the most important piece to those that own Prime Devices. Most of the stuff they promised in the KickStarter they have accomplished minus DRM....plus those that supported the kickstarter have not been charged additional fees.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:34 pm

...and its $8 per month - for non DRM? No thanks. A grid guide isn't as valuable as people here make it out to be. At the end of the day, I just want to watch the TV I paid for. I'm not interested in being taxed furthermore.

I won't lie though; my wife uses live channels because it has a grid guide. The app is buggy. I have to re-scan the tuners from time to time. It decides to randomly switch to channel 1 - Google Play - when it loses the channel line up. DRM might be the key to get her to use SDs app.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”