Is this a joke?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Busta999

Is this a joke?

Postby Busta999 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:20 am

I know it is close to 1 April but seriously this is not funny.

The setup of HDHomeRun Quatro was AMAZING - so easy so simple to well GREAT

I puckered up and bought the DVR license.

Ok setup was kinda weird...

I have 64TB of disk space so plant of room to record video....

Great!

But no, HDHomeRun wants to record to my SMALLEST drive - the boot drive. 64TB of disk online and it WILL ONLY USE the 225GB of disk remaining on my boot drive!!!!

There is a way to change the recording location, but apparently that part of the application was written in 1978!!!! Before GUIs became the norm on Macs...

This FOURTY YEAR OLD code requires you to command line and edit files as a super user.

This does not bode well for anything else unfortunately, so rather than waste any more time I'll get a refund and wait until the developers catch up with the 21st century :-)

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Is this a joke?

Postby nickk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:36 am

Hi,

The record/storage engine is a background service. You can change the record location by changing one line in the config file (and restarting).

I agree there is a case to be made for a preferences utility to configure this. It hasn't come up before but it makes sense - I will pitch it internally on Tuesday.

No problem issuing a refund on the DVR - just drop a quick email to support@silicondust.com

If you are comparing DVR solutions, the HDHomeRun DVR has some nice whole-home tricks... you can use it from any iPad, iPhone, Android device, XBox, Win10 PC, and other Macs in the home. This isn't your old one-PC DVR software.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:18 am

Quick follow up... you mentioned 64TB - are the drives that make that up local to the Mac, or a network share from a NAS?

If you are using a NAS then you should install the record engine on the NAS rather than the Mac.

Nick

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:55 am

I agree there is a case to be made for a preferences utility to configure this. It hasn't come up before but it makes sense - I will pitch it internally on Tuesday.
If this has never been discussed before, I would seriously consider replacing everyone on your UI and UX teams. This is a basic function that is not intuitive and difficult to access for the average user. That it has never been brought forward before gives me serious concerns about the future of this project.

SD’s development team consistently seems to overlook usability. The Mac client has been languishing for months since the High Sierra compatibility problems ahead of a promised update. I still can’t delete episodes using my mouse. Progress from the announcement of this entire DVR project has been incredibly slow in coming.

When is enough going to be enough for management?

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:38 pm

This is a basic function that is not intuitive and difficult to access for the average user.
The average user doesn't change this option. This is, however, a good example of the need to design beyond the average customer.
The Mac client has been languishing for months since the High Sierra compatibility problems ahead of a promised update. I still can’t delete episodes using my mouse. Progress from the announcement of this entire DVR project has been incredibly slow in coming.
The Mac client is solid. The problem with delete relates to the how Apple's UI engine handles multiple overlapping buttons. There is no simple fix without side effects - the fix required an architectural change to our UI code. It needs to work, so this is exactly what we have done.

Nick

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”