Import Plex content

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cerickso41001

Import Plex content

Postby cerickso41001 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 pm

I've been working on a TV/DVR setup for my wife. Although neither client is ideal, I think she likes the HDHomeRun client a bit better than the Plex client. That said, I have some shows that I've recorded using Plex during our text period these past few weeks and I'm wondering if there's a way to have these show up through the HDHomeRun client. Simply moving the files from one directory to the other on the NAS obviously doesn't work. Is there a way to get it to 'discover' these shows? Do they need to be transcoded into a different format with HandBrake or something?

I can send her to the Plex client to catch up on those shows, but I'm just trying to make it a bit easier for her.

Ken.F

Re: Import Plex content

Postby Ken.F » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

The files need to contain the HDHomeRun DVR metadata and they must have a .mpg extension for the DVR system to see them. The only way that I know to convert Plex DVR .ts files to HDHomeRun DVR compatible files is run them through the donator version of MCEBuddy using the HDHomeRun profile.

elabra

Postby elabra » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:59 pm

The files need to contain the HDHomeRun DVR metadata and they must have a .mpg extension for the DVR system to see them. The only way that I know to convert Plex DVR .ts files to HDHomeRun DVR compatible files is run them through the donator version of MCEBuddy using the HDHomeRun profile.
That would be my suggestion as well. Afterwords, MCEBUDDY can continue to be used to remove commercials from the recorded shows and saved commercial free for later viewing so it would not be "throw away". You might be able to use the free version - I think it will still allow you to use the HDHOMERUN profile with the free COMSKIP although it will take a lot longer to transcode compared to the paid version (but if you only have a few shows and don't want to keep using it afterwards it may be OK).

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm

That would be my suggestion as well. Afterwords, MCEBUDDY can continue to be used to remove commercials from the recorded shows and saved commercial free for later viewing so it would not be "throw away". You might be able to use the free version - I think it will still allow you to use the HDHOMERUN profile with the free COMSKIP although it will take a lot longer to transcode compared to the paid version (but if you only have a few shows and don't want to keep using it afterwards it may be OK).
I do not think the free Version will read or write the metadata to the file.

cerickso41001

Postby cerickso41001 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:51 pm

I appreciate the info. From the sound of it I'm better off just having her use the Plex client to watch through what's on there for that time period and be done with it. :) Thanks again!

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”