Mac - Ignore old programs when recording?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
neil459

Mac - Ignore old programs when recording?

Postby neil459 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:09 am

Went to set up recording this morning. Searched for Supernatural in the discover view. Found it. Selected it. Clicked record all.

Now the problems start.

1) It shows recording an old episode dated Feb 8, 2018 on March 22. I've already watched that episode and don't want to record it.

2) Clicked Recent, thought that might fix it. Nope. It stills shows that it will record the old episode.

How do I tell the DVR to only record new episodes?

Neil

GGRussell

Re: Mac - Ignore old programs when recording?

Postby GGRussell » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:04 am

Should not re-record it even though it is 'flagged' as possible recording. Only exception to this is if you deleted the file outside the HDHomeRun app or you deleted with re-record option.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 am

Recent is what aired in past 90 days. As stated, It should not rerecord if you still have it or deleted through the app. If deleted through the app and told not to rerecord it is handled server side and should not show as a possible candidate. If you still have it, the engine makes that determination at time of recording so it is still presented as a candidate.

If you wish, you can use other tools (including manually making the request through a browser) to set the AfterOriginalAirdateOnly property to a date that is now or in future and it won't present older episodes than that date (and if far enough in future will only be new as FirstAiring should override as it should be present)

neil459

Postby neil459 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Should not re-record it even though it is 'flagged' as possible recording. Only exception to this is if you deleted the file outside the HDHomeRun app or you deleted with re-record option.
I never deleted it or watched it through HDHomeRun.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm

. . . . If you wish, you can use other tools (including manually making the request through a browser) to set the AfterOriginalAirdateOnly property to a date that is now or in future and it won't present older episodes than that date (and if far enough in future will only be new as FirstAiring should override as it should be present)
How do I do that?

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Some of use the “Free” version of InstaTV on iOS. You are able to change to “New” only. SDDVR doesn’t have this option in gui,

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Neil,
If you leave it on recent it will only record stuff that aired in the last 90 days and will only record it once. If you delete through the app it won't rerecord it. Along time ago when there was a duplicate recording issue I used InstaTV to change some of them to new only. I have since changed it back to recent as that way it will pick something up if for some reason something failed to record. HDHR has not failed to record anything for me. The only problem I've had is when I was running it on an old Windows computer and the computer itself would crash.

It sounds like you are NOT using the app to watch and delete though so you should probably use InstaTV. If you are not watching in HDHR then what are you using?

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:59 pm

@GetMatt

It appears that Neil is a very new user of SDDVR and is just trying to learn how to navigate (utilize). :roll:

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:36 am

Some of use the “Free” version of InstaTV on iOS. You are able to change to “New” only. SDDVR doesn’t have this option in gui,
I don't use iOS.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Neil,
If you leave it on recent it will only record stuff that aired in the last 90 days and will only record it once. If you delete through the app it won't rerecord it. Along time ago when there was a duplicate recording issue I used InstaTV to change some of them to new only. I have since changed it back to recent as that way it will pick something up if for some reason something failed to record. HDHR has not failed to record anything for me. The only problem I've had is when I was running it on an old Windows computer and the computer itself would crash.

It sounds like you are NOT using the app to watch and delete though so you should probably use InstaTV. If you are not watching in HDHR then what are you using?
My TV.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:39 am

@GetMatt

It appears that Neil is a very new user of SDDVR and is just trying to learn how to navigate (utilize). :roll:
Yep. And very frustrated at that. I'm thinking as bad as it sounds that I should just go back to EyeTV. Or maybe there is some text file someplace that I can edit to set up recording as that would be an improvement.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:08 pm

@GetMatt

Yep. And very frustrated at that. I'm thinking as bad as it sounds that I should just go back to EyeTV. Or maybe there is some text file someplace that I can edit to set up recording as that would be an improvement.
So my main point with new vs recent is that after a few weeks New and Recent are essentially the same thing. Once you get past the point of it recording reruns of recent episodes it will act the same as if you set it to new. But that only works if you delete using the HDHR app. For example if you were to set a new series (e.g. Krypton) to record it doesn't matter if you set it to all, recent or new because they will all do the same thing. Once you've deleted an episode it will not record it again unless you specifically tell it to rerecord when deleting. For the long term recent is a better setting anyways and will only record something that is not new if for some reason the original airing was missed.

If you are savvy enough you could setup HDHR WebUI and manage your recordings that way.

neil459

Postby neil459 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:05 pm

If you are savvy enough you could setup HDHR WebUI and manage your recordings that way.
Yep, I'm savvy enough, I think, having been CTO in an HD video recording/editing/production studio with internal software development, but I use a Mac because I don't want to have to be on my off time. If I have to go to this route, I might as well use one of the open source linux solutions, then I have near total control. Not saying I have the time to devote to that solution either.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”