New to the DVR, a few questions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: New to the DVR, a few questions

Postby nickk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 pm

So what? I don't know about other users, but I would certainly prefer it to keep recording when viewing the other menus.
Then the question becomes when would it stop recording?

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 pm

Set a ten minute timeout timer. If they don't rejoin live TV... or start watching another video... or close the client... then the tuner gets freed up.... or even better... once they get to 9 minutes, ask them if they want to keep the tuner or free it up.

I fail to understand why this is really that hard of a concept to implement and yet we've had this conversation over a year ago and nothing ever happens.

Very frustrating... promised functionality going back coming up on 2 years is still nowhere to be found in this product.

Instead, we get useless stuff like trailers that nobody asked for.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm

I am able to stream live tv on the iphone using the wifi network, but when I go into the menu it says no DVR configured.
I don't know the first thing about iPhones so I can't help you with that.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Set a ten minute timeout timer. If they don't rejoin live TV... or start watching another video... or close the client... then the tuner gets freed up.... or even better... once they get to 9 minutes, ask them if they want to keep the tuner or free it up.

I fail to understand why this is really that hard of a concept to implement and yet we've had this conversation over a year ago and nothing ever happens.

Very frustrating... promised functionality going back coming up on 2 years is still nowhere to be found in this product.

Instead, we get useless stuff like trailers that nobody asked for.
Until the DVR can steal a tuner from a device to record something scheduled I would rather not see this happen. All of these things would need to be added at the same time.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:51 pm

Until the DVR can steal a tuner from a device to record something scheduled I would rather not see this happen. All of these things would need to be added at the same time.
The software should throw up a prompt on the screen to ask what action to take. My Verizon box from TEN YEARS AGO had this functionality. If it needed the tuner you were using, it would throw up a prompt to ask you if you wanted to switch to one of the other tuners that was recording or let you cancel a recording to free up a tuner.

I sincerely doubt that's going to happen anytime soon given the pace and attitude of SD development, so at least give us buffering in menus. It's really ridiculous that if I'm watching a program and a commercial comes on about a show that I decide looks good and I want to record, I have to wait until the next commercial break to go into the menus and set the recording. This is horse ****.

The inability to implement standard functionality that's been implemented for years on other consumer DVRs is what's really frustrating with this product and after two years of seeing promised functionality not be implemented, I no longer recommend this DVR to anyone.

I don't know what they're working on, but they've seriously dropped the ball on refining the software. There's not been a single enhancement of significance in over a year.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:10 pm

I don't know what they're working on
New UI infrastructure, protected channel record, protected channel playback on other client platforms, and 6-tuner Cablecard.

Nick

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 pm

So what? I don't know about other users, but I would certainly prefer it to keep recording when viewing the other menus.
Seriously? I would think this would be obvious. When the client is closed, or the tuner is needed to record a scheduled program or another client needs a tuner. Windows Media Center is great at handling tuner contention, poor signal, poor bandwidth, scheduling recordings and a myriad of other things. I just can't understand why there is such resistance to providing simllar functionality.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:04 pm

I just can't understand why there is such resistance to providing simllar functionality.
All I can figure is they don't want to put the effort into this stuff so we get excuses. The product is 'good enough' in their eyes.

They'd much rather focus on things that bring in more money like Apple platforms than spend time refining and getting right the existing platforms.

It's really getting frustrating as a user.

Nobody asked for or cares about trailers, but God knows how much time was spent on that in lieu of these promised enhancements.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:10 pm

I just can't understand why there is such resistance to providing simllar functionality.
All I can figure is they don't want to put the effort into this stuff so we get excuses. The product is 'good enough' in their eyes.

They'd much rather focus on things that bring in more money like Apple platforms than spend time refining and getting right the existing platforms.

It's really getting frustrating as a user.

Nobody asked for or cares about trailers, but God knows how much time was spent on that in lieu of these promised enhancements.
I am incredibly frustrated by the slow pace of development. The Mac builds are tremendously slow in coming and major hugs still remain - deletion, for example. It doesn’t matter is it’s fixed internally. If it isn’t the the customer’s hands, it’s not fixed.

It seems that SD has a very small team that is being pulled in too many directions. They don’t have the resources to quickly address issues. This DVR is more like a high school project than a real product.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:55 pm

The Mac builds are tremendously slow in coming and major hugs still remain - deletion, for example.
Delete is the one bug we are tracking with Apple platforms.

This particular issue remains because it is not fixable with the old UI architecture without problematic side-effects on Apple platforms (debugged and researched in depth).

This was part of the catalyst for the UI architecture upgrade, along with other key features we want to add.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm

@RockandRoller70

“They'd much rather focus on things that bring in more money like Apple platforms than spend time refining and getting right the existing platforms”

Can you please provide evidence of your claim focus on Apple platforms?

I will grant you that SD added iOS (but many months ago)...however, it is still crippled compared to other platforms. And it was originally planned for kickstarter.
TvOS is a total no show.
Mac: See comments by @dmbmke and others

We are all in the boat...waiting for improvements. None of us has seen any in the last several months, afaik.

At this point, I don’t really care about an improved UI (unless a total redo...personally, I will probably continue to use another super satisfactory solution).

I’m interested in DRM channel playback on additional platforms to Win10 (including Xbox One) and DRM recording/playback on ANY platform.

The planned 6 tuner Prime is great, however without the above DRM capabilities, I cannot see a need in my use case.

CC: @nickk

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

The Mac builds are tremendously slow in coming and major hugs still remain - deletion, for example.
This was part of the catalyst for the UI architecture upgrade, along with other key features we want to add.
We don’t have that upgrade available. Until paying customers have it installed, this is meaningless.

What is the timeline? When can we expect to see real remedies for the problems in the platform?

SD is long on promises and potential, but short on results.

I am closely flowing Plex and Channels. If either develops a Mac client, I will seriously consider changing platforms.

SD has really struggled to become a software company. Better to stick to hardware, where you are successful.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm

I will grant you that SD added iOS (but many months ago)...however, it is still crippled compared to other platforms.
?

The iOS platform has the same feature set as Mac and Android. The pending iOS release adds protected content support, making it feature-set comparable with the Windows 10 platform.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 pm

I will grant you that SD added iOS (but many months ago)...however, it is still crippled compared to other platforms.
?

The iOS platform has the same feature set as Mac and Android. The pending iOS release adds protected content support, making it feature-set comparable with the Windows 10 platform.
Many of us would be be glad to see “protected content support” on iOS...however, we still cannot delete (nor sort?), nor use a bluetooth keyboard on iOS. May be others can point to functions which are missing (since I hardly use except to ensure that nothing degrades upon firmware/software updates), but IMO the current implementation is not feature set comparable.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:48 am

Standard DVR Features:

- Show current location in buffer on the progress bar

- Initiate an immediate recording and have it utilize the buffer ***

- Pause / resume when entering/exiting menus. At it stands now you lose your buffer if you enter the menu. ***

- set number of episodes to keep

- record first run only (recent is not sufficient)

- record hd only

- record off specific channel only

- show used/available space on recording drives

*** - Promised features

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”