Windows 10 content protection error

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Gary987

Windows 10 content protection error

Postby Gary987 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Using HP Laptop with Windows 10 and HDHomerun app. Can't play certain channels; "unable to play content protection error"
diagnostics enabled
HW: Model: HDHR3-CC, Device ID: 1327D8AD
PS3 device appears to be working (ignoring poor user interface for now).
Also having similar trouble with Firestick connected to TV. "Unable to play channel Failed to connect"

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Windows 10 content protection error

Postby jasonl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on the Windows 10 PC.

The Android app does not currently support accessing DRM channels. Support for that is in development.

Gary987

Postby Gary987 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:01 pm

Spectrum Cable gave me a tuning adapter box that has a cable and usb connection to the HDHomerun Prime. Is that supposed to resolve the DRM compatibility issue?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Does nothing for DRM. What it does is allow tuning of SDV channels which may or may not be drm protected.

DRM protectef content has strict rules. Whenever it happens to me (about once a month and/or the first time running after an update) i have to restart the laptop. The main problems (assuming it will work at all-requirements met of Microsoft codec, tpm or uefi) will be hdcp (on all digital displays) and a rtt <7ms (and i swear sd has this closer to 5ms)

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:05 pm

DRM compatibility is up to the software and hardware you're using to watch. Currently, DRM channels are supported by the HDHomeRun app for Windows 10 and Xbox One, Windows Media Center on Windows 7/8.1, and DLNA devices that support DTCP-IP like the PS3 and some smart TVs. We are working on adding support to the HDHomeRun app for iOS and Android, as well as the HDHomeRun DVR. There are also various requirements for the devices the software is running on. What you're seeing with the content protection error has 2 primary causes: first, the network path between the computer and HDHomeRun is taking too long to pass data back and forth, which is commonly seen when using a VPN or some sort of nonstandard network configuration; second, if Windows thinks something about the PC has changed, it can invalidate the security keys that were set up by the app. This can be fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the app, which generates new keys. I've seen several of the latter occur recently when people updated the BIOS on the computer.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”