Unable to play video-No Video Data-protocol error

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Beerman

Unable to play video-No Video Data-protocol error

Postby Beerman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Got this message on all devices trying to play live tv: Unable to play video-No Video Data-protocol error.
Rebooted units with no luck so far.
1321770E shows No Channels
132642e4 shows all channels yet no live tv will play. Recordings play fine.

Mid last year I had to replace 1 tuner and I'm now wondering if another has gone bad but since one tuner appears to be fine, why is it not playing live tv?
Or, could it be the TA's and a trouble with Cox? My cable box is working fine but I may need to give Cox a call.

Does this error sound familiar to anyone?

Just noticed signal strength on both tuners are about 50%. That's not good so a phone call it is.

Beerman

Re: Unable to play video-No Video Data-protocol error

Postby Beerman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:43 pm

Seems there is a problem in my area though very local. So, I guess it's a signal issue.
I wish there was a list of what some of the error messages so that we'd have some idea what to do when we see them.

Beerman

Postby Beerman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:18 pm

There was a signal problem on the pole in front of my house and Cox took care of it in one day so that's not too bad. I'm back in business.
However, I'm still seeing this same message on a few channels, some DRM, some not but all that I have received before and am paying for. I'd love to know what this message means.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Protocol error means the app got a response it didn't understand. You're running a nearly 2 year old version of the DVR software on an Android box, and the DVR was using different error codes back then, and the app doesn't recognize them. You need to update to the current Android app and set up the DVR in that. I forget if the version you're running was a separate install back then (I think it was), so you should also back up your recordings and uninstall the old software, then move the recordings over to the new storage location.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”