DRM channels - G. Scott

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
G. Scott

DRM channels - G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm in San Antonio TX our Spectrum has 95% all DRM minus the locals. Found this out after getting the Tuning Adapter as they need it for SDV and the Cablecard. So the biggest hurddle is DRM and only Windows 10 and or old Windows MCE works. No other app or platform allows the DRM channels to work.

So my idea of Plex TV on all my Roku was shot and I wasted money on the Prime. Now Im aiming for full cord cutting and finding that a hurdle to get exactly what I want. The Prime and Spectrum with Plex would have solved all my problems but nooo stupid Spectrum had to add DRM to every damn channel...
IrishTR, I feel your PAIN! I am in Buffalo, NY, and just changed over to Spectrum last week. After two trips to the local Spectrum store to get the cable card the installer does not carry, and the tuning adapter that the store associate failed to mention I would need, finally got it up and running yesterday. I too, wanted to use Plex to view and record Live TV. After getting it setup, and seeing all the channels I subscribe to in the channel lineup I was excited to see how the quality of the streaming was on my network.

So far no windows 10 devices can stream any DRM channels. I just get errors or constant buffering. I also installed the HDHR app on my IPhone with similar results, unable to play content, failed to connect! The only thing I can stream is non-DRM channels. I figured I would try Plex. After running a scan through Plex it picked up only 55 of 349 channels that my Prime unit shows in the channel list. Only the non-DRM can be watched or recorded in Plex. I will give kudos to the Spectrum app that works very well streaming on my Roku TV and IPhone, and yes I get ALL the channels I subscribe too!

So far, I am very disappointed on my Prime purchase so far. I thought I did enough research before I made my purchase of the HDHR Prime unit. Now I put out to the forum and the moderators, is there something I am missing? If the HDHR Prime unit has access to all the channels, why can I not stream them to my devices on my network? I know that wireless devices can be suspect to streaming, but some of my PC's are connected by cat5e cable. My Roku TV in connected wireless and streams the Spectrum app perfectly on the 2nd story. In my opinion it is the app that is the issue here, so Silicondust, get the app updated to work with Windows 10 and IOS. Please!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: DRM channels - G. Scott

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Win10 should work if the PC meets the requirements.

We would like to get some diagnostic data.

If you are using a Windows PC:
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest beta HDHomeRun Software for Windows from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the CableCARDtab
  5. Click OK
  6. Open the HDHomeRun app
  7. Move your mouse to the top-left corner and click on the hamburger stack icon that appears
  8. Enable Send diagnostic information
  9. Try to watch a DRM channel
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm

I have done what you said to do in your previous post, but upon doing some more research, I found that my problem was the monitor my PC was connected to. It was connected to a monitor that only supported a VGA connection. Once I connected to another monitor with HDMI, the channels streamed fine. However after watching for about 20 minutes, the picture froze, but the sound still played. Tried to change channels and got a message that it could not display the channel. Had to close then reopen the app to get the stream to play again. I tried a few of the other channels and it seemed okay till I tried some of the music channels that I am subscribed to. The audio would be laggy and studder, and the video would be pixelated. It did not matter which music channel i tried, they all did it. My device ID is 1327A91A

By the way, the app still does not work on my IPhone either.

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm

The logs indicate video playback stopped because the HDCP connection was lost with the display. This would typically point to a sketchy cable or flaky video drivers. Try a different cable and a different driver version.

What channel numbers are the music channels?

G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:32 pm

The music channels are in the 1900's. I have had bad hdmi cables in past, and usually I would get a blank screen or no video display, but all of the non-drm channels would work fine. But like I said in the previous post, I believe the issue was trying to watch on a vga monitor vs an hdmi compliant monitor. But I will test with a different cable.

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:49 pm

The logs show the signal quality on the channel that carries the must channels is quite poor. Do you have the HDHomeRun connected to the passthrough coax port on the TA? If so, you should instead use a splitter to connect both to the incoming line. Most TAs have a poor internal signal path that can result in reception issues when trying to receive channels through them.

G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm not quite sure what you mean by using a splitter to connect both. My set up consists of the following:

My incoming cable comes into the house to a two-way splitter. Only one cable goes from the out to my main tv where there is a three-way splitter. One out is going to the modem, one goes to the cable receiver, and the other goes to the TA cable in. The TA has a cable out which goes to the HDHR and the TA has a USB connection that goes to the HDHR. The HDHR then is connected to my router. All the splitters being used are ones I received from Spectrum cable.

Thanks for the quick replies!

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm

He means split the signal to the TA and Prime rather than going through the TA with the rf signal... though a cisco TA should compensate for any loss and you may get away with daisy chaining often some frequencies have issues going through the TA so it is usually better to split the signal (and you should terminate the out of the TA). If you are in a motorola area, the output loss of the TA is nearly as bad as going through a 4 way splitter so it is almost always better to split with a moto TA. Most likely I would look at replacing the 3way splitter with a 4way.

G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm

I guess I can try it, but I thought the TA was needed to receive the DRM channels from my cable provider?
Thanks

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm

The TA is needed for SDV channels (not necessarily drm channels) and when connected does all resolving. All communication between the TA and the prime is through the usb cable. Both the TA and the prime need an rf (coax) connection but the rf signal is the "same" (other than signal levels/potential issues)

I'm not sure thats your issue other than jasonl seeing a signal issue which is why i would see ic things get better (typically i always see issue over wifi with the drm protected music channels that dont really have video (basically a static image) when using anything other than wmc but any issue on those channels basically corrupts the stream for several seconds until that static image is sent again)

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 am

If you did as mentioned here and are still having signal issues I would suggest using a TAP prior to the splitter for the modem. Modems and Tuners don't always play well together and the TAP will isolate the modem from everything else. This could also help the modem get a better signal. We used to have issues with signal until I finally ran into a cable guy who really understood his trade and gave me a tap for the modem. It dramatically improved both the cable signal to my tuners and the modem.

G. Scott

Postby G. Scott » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:16 pm

Well......I have done what jasonl had suggested, and thanks signcarver for your explanation. When I use my windows computers and xbox one all channels seem to be working fine. My problem now is, I have an older plasma tv that I would like to use a device to stream my cable from the HDHR prime unit. I do not want to use a pc or an xbox (the xbox is my kids). I have an android tv box that I have the hdhomerun app and kodi with the hdhomerun installed. Both ways cannot stream the channels that are flagged as DRM. Will the hdhomerun app ever be updated to support DRM channels on android?
I also run Plex on another computer on my network, and would hope that someday the Plex Media Server would finally be able to tune in and record the DRM channels.
I have also tried a raspberry Pi3 running OSMC, that does not stream the DRM channels either. I have just purchased the codecs from the raspberry Pi foundation, so once I get the license keys, I will try that. My hope is that the Pi will work since it runs a version of Linux. Does anyone have a setup that works besides a microsoft product?

sspell

Postby sspell » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 pm

There is nothing that will play and record DRM content other than WMC, Tivo, Cable company boxes. Right now the SD DVR in windows 10 or X box will only play DRM with record DRM coming soon. How long soon is don't know. Doubt if Plex and the other DVR softwares out there will ever have DRM. So no use trying other options they won't work.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:10 am

You will not be able to play DRM channels on a Pi either.

IrishTR

Postby IrishTR » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Ya I ripped mine out it's worthless. HDHomeRun with Cable forced DRM = 8 channels at best viewable on anything besides a Win10 PC or even shittier WMC. Utter waste of time and money. But it's forced me to Save money by dropping cable completely and going with a Philio+Sling Subscription. Now I get every channel everywhere on every device for less than half the cost Shame I would have really liked to enjoy it via Plex to go along with my 18TB media server! Oh well cable can kiss my rear end!

WTS one worthless HDHomeRun Prime!

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”