Fix for failing NAS install?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
klarpsnarkle

Fix for failing NAS install?

Postby klarpsnarkle » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm

I have seen some talk of this problem, but haven't found the fix. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

QNAP TS-251 QTS 4.3.4

Model: Windows Media Player
SSH Enabled: OK
SSH Session: OK
NAS Architecture: X86_64
HDHomeRun Share: Error
SMBD not found or not running
Unable to install

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Fix for failing NAS install?

Postby jasonl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Use demonrik's QNAP install package.

klarpsnarkle

Postby klarpsnarkle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Use demonrik's QNAP install package.
Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no joy.

I deleted the old HDHomeRunDVR off of the NAS. Downloaded the HDHomeRunDVR_0.9.31.qpkg and manually installed it on the NAS.
Went back to HDHomeRun setup and went to DVR and chose Use NAS for recordings, clicked on NAS Install, selected NAS, entered password and got the same error message as before.

See anything wrong in my steps?

Thanks again.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:46 pm

The package install completely replaces the NAS install in HDHomeRun Setup. Once the package is installed you should be good to go.

klarpsnarkle

Postby klarpsnarkle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 am

The package install completely replaces the NAS install in HDHomeRun Setup. Once the package is installed you should be good to go.
Here is what I am trying to make happen. Several of the shows I enjoy watching are DRM'd, so recording them with the HdHomeRunDVR is not possible. I still have a laptop that is running Windows 8.1 with Media Center, which of course will record all the channels. I am trying to get the Media Center recordings to go to to the NAS so that I can watch them on my desktop computer. But when I try to setup the DVR on the Media Center laptop, I get the aforementioned error.

Any thoughts?

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 am

What is being said, is if you wish to use a qnap for SD's DVR... don't use the NAS install, use demonrik's package (or manually install but that still wouldn't use the NAS install).

You should always record to a local drive, so for the case of WMC, you should have the primary recording folder on the computer itself and in your case you want SD's engine on the qnap so use demonrik's package (assuming you have DVR subscription). On your WMC machine you can add additional storage locations (such as on the NAS) and copy/move recordings to that location.

Also you only set up the DVR "once" don't do it on another computer or NAS... the DVR clients discover any engine on the same subnet. Also with win 7/8 one uses the Kodi add-on to access the DVR not the installed HDHomeRun app.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 am

I still have a laptop that is running Windows 8.1 with Media Center, which of course will record all the channels. I am trying to get the Media Center recordings to go to to the NAS so that I can watch them on my desktop computer.
You can only watch DRM recordings from WMC using a certified WMC extender like XBox360. If you just copy a DRM recording to another location, it can not be played back on a different device/PC.

klarpsnarkle

Postby klarpsnarkle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you all for the explanations. I can now stop beating my head against the wall.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”