Paid DRM Channels - Strange decoding issue with picture

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
RockandRoller70

Paid DRM Channels - Strange decoding issue with picture

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm getting this strange issue with many of my HBO/Cinemax channels... but not all of them. Looks like some sort of decoding issue. This has been happening for a few weeks at least but I didn't have a chance to take a video of it until tonight.

Here's the video showing what is happening on many of my HBO/Cinemax DRM channels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbIMSxf ... e=youtu.be

foxbat121

Re: Paid DRM Channels - Strange decoding issue with picture

Postby foxbat121 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:01 pm

It is not decoding issue. It looks like network packet loss or cable signal problem. SD has the tool to test for network packet loss. As for cable signal, you need to use the Prime web page to view signal strength and quality while watching those channels.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 am

We would like to get some diagnostic data.
  1. If you have not already done so, please install the latest beta HDHomeRun Software for Windows from viewtopic.php?f=119&t=20613
  2. Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable “Send diagnostic information...” on the Advanced tab and click Apply. If you do not have an Advanced tab, close HDHomeRun Setup and reopen it.
  3. Unplug the power from the HDHomeRun and plug it back in
  4. After the powerup sequence finishes, click “Scan” on the CableCARD tab
  5. Click OK
  6. Open the HDHomeRun app and watch a problem channel for 10 minutes
Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Device IDs are: 1311127E and 1322D7A7

I did all the steps you requested. I'm still seeing the issue. I found it occurs on the FYI channel which is a non-pay channel so it's not limited to pay channels as I initially thought.

Please check the logs, thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Your signal quality is poor across all the channels. Looks like you're on Fios? Your ONT is dying and needs to be replaced.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:11 pm

The battery in my FIOS has been beeping for a few months and needs replaced, could that impact signal quality?

I thought that just impacted the ability to use the phone in the event of a power outage, but it seems to correspond to this issue.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:20 am

The battery in my FIOS has been beeping for a few months and needs replaced, could that impact signal quality?
I suppose it is possible, but most ONTs are designed to, and can, operate without batteries entirely (Verizon even has a tech note somewhere on stopping the beeping and removing the battery for those that do not need the backup). ONTs of a certain age just seem to have reached the other side of their bathtub failure curve. Which might not have mattered if Verizon had not pulled back from their entirely new gateway box after the trail last year (after years of rumors they were going to finally make it available).

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 am

You might want to hold off on buying a new battery. When my ONT died last year they replaced it with a model that doesn't have a backup battery.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:31 am

Thanks for the info. Guess I gotta get Verizon out here at my first opportunity.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 am

Got Verizon out here today and they replaced the ONT and everything is working good again.

They also got rid of the battery in this new model.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”