UK HD signal corruption - gooman

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gooman

Re: UK HD signal corruption - gooman

Postby gooman » Mon May 21, 2018 5:33 am

Latest news ... Nick has confirmed that it's definitely not an over-strength signal that's causing the problem. He too is now leaning towards some kind of FM interference.

He's given me a new diagnostic version of the firmware (received the day I went on holiday!) which I've now installed run. Hopefully he can find the cause of the issue this time!

andrewpmoore2

Postby andrewpmoore2 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 am

The dab filter didn't change anything for me so I still get the issues sadly.

danielpugh

Postby danielpugh » Tue May 22, 2018 12:22 pm

The dab filter didn't change anything for me so I still get the issues sadly.
Pants - sorry to have raised your hopes! Fingers crossed they get to the bottom it.

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 am

I'd read something elsewhere that suggested that some HDMI cables can leak RF when sending HD signals. I started thinking that this could be the cause, if the HDMI cable from the Shield to the AV receiver was causing the problem.

Just to be 100% sure that this wasn't a contributor, I turned off everything other than the TV and the HDHR, and watched the same channel on my Android tablet using the HDHR app, and simultaneously through the TV using the HDHR app on the Shield. I got screen corruption on both at the same time - when this was happening frequently, I then turned off the TV too (so the only equipment left on was my TV, the HDHR, the router and my tablet). This meant that no HDMI cables were live whatsoever.

The problem continued while watching on the tablet.

So it's definitely not HDMI RF-related, and seems to be interference picked up by the HDHR. As before, this interference is not seen when viewing the same channel (from the same antenna) on other tuners, such as my TV's in-built tuner or my PVR's tuner.

andrewpmoore2

Postby andrewpmoore2 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:23 am

Just thinking out aloud, we are both using a shield, have you tried using another device?

I'll try tonight

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed May 23, 2018 5:29 am

Yep - that's my point exactly. My final test was to replicate the problem with only my tablet, the HDHR and the AP/Router powered up.

gooman

Postby gooman » Fri May 25, 2018 10:21 am

As yet, no news from Nick ... :(

gooman

Postby gooman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:54 am

11 days after supplying more logs, and as yet no response (not even a confirmation of receipt, or even a "sorry, but we can't get to this for at least x days/weeks)

:cry:

gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:06 am

Nick has got back to me and asked me to run more diagnostics, but using a diplexer.

@danielpugh, you already have a diplexer - could you do follow the same instructions as below, and also post your Device ID here when done so that Nick can retrieve your logs too? NB - Nick mentions that the FM output needs to be terminated, which (from your previous post) I don't think you had done).

---
For testing can you please connect as follows...
UHF port - connect to the HDHomeRun.
VHF port - connect to a TV or something similar to act as a load to terminate the port.
Common port - connect to the antenna feed.

Then run HDHomeRun Setup, enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab again, then run a new channel scan on the Digital Antenna tab.

Please also try watching a few problem channels in the HDHomeRun app.

You mentioned it was worse at night - signals should be stronger at night so best to run the test at night.

andrewpmoore2

Postby andrewpmoore2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:19 am

I should be able to try that too as I got one (although I've not tried it with the termination, without it, it was no better)

danielpugh

Postby danielpugh » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:01 am

Nick has got back to me and asked me to run more diagnostics, but using a diplexer.

@danielpugh, you already have a diplexer - could you do follow the same instructions as below, and also post your Device ID here when done so that Nick can retrieve your logs too? NB - Nick mentions that the FM output needs to be terminated, which (from your previous post) I don't think you had done).

---
For testing can you please connect as follows...
UHF port - connect to the HDHomeRun.
VHF port - connect to a TV or something similar to act as a load to terminate the port.
Common port - connect to the antenna feed.

Then run HDHomeRun Setup, enable "send diagnostic information" on the Advanced tab again, then run a new channel scan on the Digital Antenna tab.

Please also try watching a few problem channels in the HDHomeRun app.

You mentioned it was worse at night - signals should be stronger at night so best to run the test at night.
so that is a more complicated one for me (or not) - ill explain what i have setup

masthead booster -> diplexer (joins input from dab aerial to uhf) -> power supply (to masthead) -> 4-way splitter
1 output -> diplexer (fm not terminated but uhf to hdhomerun connect)
1 output -> wall plate diplexer (fm connected to dab/avr), tv connected to tv
1 output -> waiting for me to fit a wallplate (currently non-diplexed wallplate to sony tv that works fine)
1 output -> waiting for me to fit a wallplate (currently non-diplexed - neither will be connected - for future use)

a diplexer it splits off certain frequencies from the main signal so the lower range is simply not there on the uhf output
not sure why termination would be needed but in a way it is provided on one of the outputs as it is connected to the dab radio

so not sure if that fits with your needs??

gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 am

Hi Dan.

On doing a little light Googling, it looks like any diplexing output needs to have a 50ohm load on each port for it to function correctly. Otherwise the signal doesn't get split at that output.

In your case, if you add a load (TV, radio or anything else) on the FM side of the output diplexer that the HDHomerun is attached to, all should be well I think.

gooman

Postby gooman » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Just fitted the diplexer and used my TV tuner as the FM load.

Checked before fitting - picture breaking up. After - rock solid (so far) at 94% signal strength and 100% signal and symbol quality.

If all remains good I'll run a new channel scan and send diags as per the instructions.

Obviously it's only a sticking plaster - don't want to have to have a load on the FM port. Wonder why the hdhr is susceptible to FM interference when none of my other tuners are?

gooman

Postby gooman » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Been running for 2 days now with the diplexer (and an FM load) and it's been Rick solid throughout.

For me at least, this seems to be a viable workaround (though I wouldn't call it a permanent solution).

Dan, Andrew, how about you guys? Any news?

andrewpmoore2

Postby andrewpmoore2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:43 am

I've not had chance over the last couple of days. Need to find a radio that I can get near the hdhomerun! Does it then need to be powered on?

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”