Android TV - Nvidia Shield 2015 - Watch DRM Channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Coolsaber57

Android TV - Nvidia Shield 2015 - Watch DRM Channels

Postby Coolsaber57 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:21 pm

Hello,

I've been attempting to ascertain how to watch DRM channels on my Android TV (Nvidia Shield 2015), but have not found any official notes/blog/explanation regarding it status. I understand that it used to work on an earlier version of Android (e.g. I found references to using the "green" app instead of the "grey" app), but no channels can be watched at the moment.

I'm not overly concerned about being able to DVR these channels, but I would really like to be able to watch them. Is there any official communication regarding when/if DRM channels will ever be supported on Android TV?

Thank you

jasonmcroy

Re: Android TV - Nvidia Shield 2015 - Watch DRM Channels

Postby jasonmcroy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:27 pm

Currently Windows 10 and Xbox One are the only platforms where you can view DRM channels. You cannot DVR those yet. Android is supposed to be coming, but there is no timeline on when.

Coolsaber57

Postby Coolsaber57 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Currently Windows 10 and Xbox One are the only platforms where you can view DRM channels. You cannot DVR those yet. Android is supposed to be coming, but there is no timeline on when.
Yeah, I saw mentions of the fact that Android DRM Channel viewing is coming, but those posts were over 7 months ago and I was hoping to see if it was even still on the official roadmap, and if it is, if there is a general timeframe for it. I feel like it's been de-prioritized, but I sort of want to know if I should just move on to another platform.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Good luck finding anything new. Yes, it is still on roadmap but no ETA.

When it comes to DRM, options are very limited.

jasonmcroy

Postby jasonmcroy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:25 pm

Yeah, I saw mentions of the fact that Android DRM Channel viewing is coming, but those posts were over 7 months ago and I was hoping to see if it was even still on the official roadmap, and if it is, if there is a general timeframe for it. I feel like it's been de-prioritized, but I sort of want to know if I should just move on to another platform.
Yeah, from what I can tell it seems like it is a "who knows when" sort of ETA. From my understanding your only current options for DRM content is going to be Windows Media Center. I haven't kept up with it much in the past year but I think there are some EPG issues or something even with that but I am not sure.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I only visit here to read the DRM threads... To put it simply, at this point it's probably better to move on to something else. I could write a ton of reasons why, which I just did, but I deleted it because I don't want to come off as a negative troll.

To put simply, they are in over their heads when it comes to software.

MidwesternVideoGuy

Postby MidwesternVideoGuy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Much as I hate to admit it, that's where I am with my HomeRun Prime. Essentially a doorstop due to DRM.

Was *this close* to a completely working whole-home DVR solution until the DRM killed everything but local channels on our cable provider, and there's virtually no chance there's DRM solution for Linux-based clients anytime in the near future. Really frustrating and disappointing.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:51 pm

I have two set of Win 7 WMC whole house DVR in two houses working just fine, DRM or not. It's not Prime's fault and it does exactly what it is designed to do. WMC is the currently the only solution out there for DRM recording.

Blame this on CableLabs because it has the authority to certify any cable solutions for DRM.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong :lol:

Thought it was still possible to use MiBox (Walmart) if one had purchased “old green” app before it was pulled.
Also, one can use a PS3 (dtcp-ip)...clunky but useable.

I have Comcast CC (Prime) however, since they converted to AVC...it appears that WMC on Win7 is no longer viable. Also, none of my 39 DRM (no HBO/Showtime) channels have apps to utilize on a STB to TV.

Based on all of the DRM delays SD has incurred, I may have to invest in YET another device (MiBox...already have “old green” app) just to calm down the “clamoring masses” in my household.

Just want to confirm my options...thanks to all for any input!

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 pm

MiBox 3 can only watch live, no DVR support. Also, its deinterlacing is slightly worse than Nexus player. As for WMC with Comcast, all you need is a discreet video card to replace the Intel iGPU.

Samsung TVs, the newer ones, also supports DRM viewing via DLNA.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Sorry, I should stated for “Live” on Mibox & PS3 :oops: ..if recording were available I would have purchased that STB a long time ago. :lol:

Although now I’m not too thrilled to hear about deinterlacing efficacy being less than the NP. IIRC, while NP (bought both the NP and Shield based on SD’s progress several years ago for Android :roll: ) was working before version upgrade...it wasn’t great.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”