Unable to play channel End of Stream

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Thunderthud

Re: Unable to play channel

Postby Thunderthud » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Looks like the app just stopped getting data, but the device didn't report any issues. What's the network layout?
TC-Link C7 AC1750 router,. Asus 24 Port gigabit switch,. Lenovo yoga 900 laptop, Asus core i3 windows 10 pc gigabit wired, MiBox wired with I green usb Ethernet,. Beelink A912 box wired gigabit Ethernet built in. Have had this problem on all of the devices at various times, including my Android phone. WDMyCoud 4TB from SD Kickstarter. Also have a couple of other PC's that are always turned off when this happens. Thanks.

Thunderthud

Re: Unable to play channel End of Stream

Postby Thunderthud » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:18 pm

The Android one looks like a DVR issue. We're investigating.
Just another thought on this. I've seen many other posts and replies indicating that they are also popped out of a live program with an "Unable to play Channel" message. I myself, have not had any issues with my recordings being disrupted. All of the recordings seem to complete okay. Yet I continue to get this "end of stream" issue on all of my devices, at different times, while viewing live. Why do all of the recordings complete without bombing, yet the live viewer is not able to stay active?

Thanks for continuing to pursue the answers to these issues!

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 pm

The problem is specific to the live TV buffering part of the DVR. Regular recordings aren't affected.

A-TV-viewer

Postby A-TV-viewer » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Yesterday I install the latest beta on my Prime in the hope that it would fix the live tv end of stream bug. My wife reports that it is still occurring today on NBC. The playback device is a firestick

AClax79

Postby AClax79 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:33 am

I've only just started using my HD HomeRun this past week and am a new DVR subscriber. I'm also getting the errors related to "end of stream" while watching Live TV. If it helps, it seems to happen more often than not at the end of a program while watching on Firestick running the HD app. I can switch to a different channel and then go back to the one that ended and start watching again. I haven't watched enough yet to know if the behavior is consistent.

Thunderthud

Postby Thunderthud » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:25 am

The problem is specific to the live TV buffering part of the DVR. Regular recordings aren't affected.
Ok, I understand what you are saying but... If I can record a show and view it live while recording, why can't you use that same mechanism's "Buffering" during live TV viewing. I'm still having this problem, fairly constantly on ALL of my clients, 1-MiBox, 2-Windows 10 pc's, 1- Android 912 Box and Android LG phone. Would you please update us on the the status of a possible solution? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Our development team is working on it.

Thunderthud

Postby Thunderthud » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Our development team is working on it.
Thank you so much for pursuing a solution!

Azervos3

Postby Azervos3 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 pm

I am also having a issue playing from Amazon stick tv amd a shield device all seems to be local channels more then anything else NBC more then others....please come up worth a fix soon....also does prime software automatically update or do I have to manually update software?? If manually how do I do that??

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:11 pm

The logs indicate communication errors were happening on the client side. Do you have any firewalls or security programs installed on the PC?
Even if there were communication errors, why doesn't the client retry instead of just giving up? Wouldn't it make more sense to retry and attempt to continue? You could always do like WMC does and notify the user that it is encountering network issues. Just stopping at a blank screen is just stupid. I always end up flipping up and down one channel to get it going again. It seems kind of pointless when the client could just handle this itself.

bnetts

Postby bnetts » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:22 pm

Add me to the Unable list running 3 different Shields wired connections

johnnj

Postby johnnj » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:40 pm

I'm having the same problem, too. This is on a Kindle Fire HD 10 using the SD android app.

I had read about the DVR software buffering being the suspected culprit, so I uninstalled it from my server. Honestly I never use the DVR so it was no loss for me. However, the "unable to play channel end of stream" problem still happens ALL. THE. TIME. I'd say it probably goes for no more than 5 minutes before it happens again and I need to change channels so I can continue watching. It's really very annoying.

What's funny is that on all of my other devices (ipads/iphone/apple tvs) I use the Channels app and that is rock solid. Absolutely no issues with that. However, I basically have this Fire tablet mounted in the kitchen so we can watch the news and having to continually switch channels to keep watching is getting very old.

It's not my network, iOS devices attached to the same AP, same distance and Channels plays fine, and Plex on the Fire tablet is also fine, including LiveTV, but I'm not a fan of the Plex live tv interface.

If the guy that made Channels had a regular Android version on the Amazon app store I'd gladly pay him $25 for it. However, it seems like I'm stuck with this broken Silicon Dust app.

Guy from SD: Any ideas on what the actual problem is and when you guys will be fixing it? If it's the DVR software causing the problem and I have no DVR software running on my network, then how can that be true?

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:51 pm

I’m fairly sure that Channels now has an app on the Amazon store (for Live TV). If it doesn’t work then you can request a refund.

proline

Postby proline » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:05 am

They need to hire the guy that makes the Channels app. 4 months of end of stream errors and still working on it.

johnnj

Postby johnnj » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:26 am

I’m fairly sure that Channels now has an app on the Amazon store (for Live TV). If it doesn’t work then you can request a refund.
Looks like it's only for FireTV, not Kindle tablets. Oh, well.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”