So... HDHomeRun User Interface Will Be Updated

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: So... HDHomeRun User Interface Will Be Updated

Postby nickk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:53 pm

inability to delete episodes
This issue is specific to Mac and iOS, and has been fixed in the new UI update.
out of sync audio
We are not tracking any audio of of sync issues. What platform are you using the client on?
frequent crashing
Are you referring to the OpenGL problem introduced by High Sierra affecting the older Mac app?
We released a major update to the Mac app a month ago and we are not tracking any crash issues.

if you are experiencing a problem please let us know and we will help (please start a new thread).

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 am

Young people tend to design things with text too small for us old people to read. All they have to do is research this forum. Several of us have complained about the text size. Design a UI for the kind of people that own giant oversized remotes and big button phones and it'll be almost big enough.
We have a TV and movable sofa set up with measured distances marked out for evaluating the UI update.

Live TV text will be similar to existing as that was already increased. Text on the DVR pages will be larger than today with a few other changes to help readability.

The worst case is typically when you have a TV in a bedroom mounted on the opposite wall to the bed headboard. The smaller TV and longer distance messes up the 10' metric people like to talk about.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:10 am

The worst case is typically when you have a TV in a bedroom mounted on the opposite wall to the bed headboard. The smaller TV and longer distance messes up the 10' metric people like to talk about.
Yes, exactly. I can put a jumbo-tron in my living room but there isn't enough space for something like that in the bedroom. IMHO if the synopsis block in the slice guide had a solid dark color background it would help a lot. White text on semi-transparent light green just doesn't work.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:30 pm

It's simply amazing to me that those of us who visit these forums everyday and practically beg for any sort of information from SD, find out more from internet articles. Absolutely absurd.

gregw74

Postby gregw74 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:30 am

I was just curious if there were any new updates regarding the UI overhaul, or perhaps an estimated release date?

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:02 am

I was just curious if there were any new updates regarding the UI overhaul, or perhaps an estimated release date?
Look here:
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=67877

gregw74

Postby gregw74 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you Matt

rykr

Postby rykr » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:33 am

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

neil459

Postby neil459 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:30 pm

I am glad they are bringing in experts for the front end UI
I seriously doubt it will make a huge difference especially if those individuals are under 35. :lol:
Yep, all you have to do is visit any modern web site and you see usability thrown out the door in favor of big impressive graphics, lots of wasted white space, lack of info (or if is present takes a bunch of clicks or taps), lack of ability to customize the experience,
and in general way too much focus on wow and not enough focus on what people need or want to get things done in the most efficient manner.

Impression over substance seems to rule the day. Its been going on for 5 years or so, so hopefully this stage is coming to and end, thought I've not see that.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Impression over substance seems to rule the day.
This is not really new. Fernando Lamas: "It is better to look good than to feel good." (Billy Crystal played the character "Fernando" on SNL as an exaggerated caricature). As (the actuarial statistics suggest) you will likely be dead long before the Gen Z'ers will, the goal for many companies will be to attract the Zs (which may mean flash over substance)).

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Impression over substance seems to rule the day.
This is not really new. Fernando Lamas: "It is better to look good than to feel good." (Billy Crystal played the character "Fernando" on SNL as an exaggerated caricature). As (the actuarial statistics suggest) you will likely be dead long before the Gen Z'ers will, the goal for many companies will be to attract the Zs (which may mean flash over substance)).
What one person may consider wasted space ("white space") another sees as making something clean and defined. What one person might consider substance others may consider to be cluttered. Anyone who develops reports and has to explain things for a living will tell you that white space is not wasted, but actually very important. Personally I don't want just a bunch of text on a screen with no symbols or pictures (which has been suggested before). A picture, an icon, a symbol can provide a lot of information in a lot less space than a bunch of words. As a consulting engineer I like to stick to the tried and true KISS principal. There is no reason to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Not to say I'm a huge fan current UI, but I do like the simplicity of it. There are some vital features missing and the color scheme is a bit annoying, but a lot of the other systems out there (Plex) have too many layers and way too many words to make it a simple everyday user for someone who just wants to watch a show or movie.

You guys can discount me though because I am a month shy of 35 :lol: which makes me a Xennial not a Millennial or a Z BTW.

fizban11

Postby fizban11 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:27 pm

New to the DVR service - about 2 weeks or so. I left from PLEX, whose recording engine has been plagued with issues to the point where I could no longer justify paying for it. Having said that, the article referenced above shows that even the CEO knows the HDHR DVR UI is well behind the competition. Many improvements are need to get it up to the slick PLEX or Emby, but at least I am no longer missing recordings.

However, it’s been 60+ days since the interview and as far as I can tell, the SW changelog is still showing 2017/12/21. Did I not get the correct new software when I set it up two weeks ago?

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:08 pm

New to the DVR service - about 2 weeks or so. I left from PLEX, whose recording engine has been plagued with issues to the point where I could no longer justify paying for it. Having said that, the article referenced above shows that even the CEO knows the HDHR DVR UI is well behind the competition. Many improvements are need to get it up to the slick PLEX or Emby, but at least I am no longer missing recordings.

However, it’s been 60+ days since the interview and as far as I can tell, the SW changelog is still showing 2017/12/21. Did I not get the correct new software when I set it up two weeks ago?
UI has not been updated yet. It is taking them longer than expected.

Current Beta is found here:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20613

You should subscribe to this Changelog for the latest updates:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=32339

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”