So... HDHomeRun User Interface Will Be Updated

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
otaku

So... HDHomeRun User Interface Will Be Updated

Postby otaku » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:03 pm

Ran across an article this morning that points in the direction of an HDHomeRun UI update coming.

Fingers crossed that it's an accurate prediction.

https://www.techhive.com/article/324909 ... r-box.html

reverik

Re: So... HDHomeRun User Interface Will Be Updated

Postby reverik » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:13 pm

Ran across an article this morning that points in the direction of an HDHomeRun UI update coming.

I read this too. I am pleased to hear that. The service works well enough for me, but I often watch recordings in Plex or live TV in Android Channels app due to the better UI. Plex mobile app for watching in particular is better. The onscreen buttons are just difficult to use of HDHRDVR.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:23 pm

That's good news. My wife won't use the SD app and favors Live Channels but I'll admit that's mostly due to the guide or lack there of. She likes to see what's on next while seeing what's on now. Fair enough; I can't tell her what to like. The slices guide is unreliable as it doesn't display the correct show title in the next time slot without finagling left and right to get it to refresh to the correct program; I find it frustrating, myself. It's inconvenient to say the least.

We'll see if the 30 days timeline comes to fruition. Seems to good to be true.

NYPlayer

Postby NYPlayer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm

I read this too. I am pleased to hear that. The service works well enough for me, but I often watch recordings in Plex or live TV in Android Channels app due to the better UI. Plex mobile app for watching in particular is better. The onscreen buttons are just difficult to use of HDHRDVR.
I watch Livetv and Recordings in KODI HdHomerun unofficial APP once in a while I use the HDHomeRun windows APP to watch a DRM channel... a ui overhaul is definitely needed.
Last edited by NYPlayer on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 pm

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

reverik

Postby reverik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 am

30 days was for some minor changes, I believe. More extensive changes or complete overhaul are further out.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:47 am

30 days was for some minor changes, I believe. More extensive changes or complete overhaul are further out.
Any changes are quite welcome in my opinion. I mostly look forward to general release of the DVR not for DRM but advancements in the software. I'm glad they are realizing the shortcomings of the interface as that is the face of the product.

reverik

Postby reverik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 pm

Any changes are quite welcome in my opinion. I mostly look forward to general release of the DVR not for DRM but advancements in the software. I'm glad they are realizing the shortcomings of the interface as that is the face of the product.
I agree. DRM is not an issue for me. I want UI improvements. Hitting the exit button to open the DVR menu is weird. There is a ton of opportunity to get make this a great product. They have done a great job on the back end. I am glad they are bringing in experts for the front end UI

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm

I am glad they are bringing in experts for the front end UI
I seriously doubt it will make a huge difference especially if those individuals are under 35. :lol:

reverik

Postby reverik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:43 pm

I am glad they are bringing in experts for the front end UI
I seriously doubt it will make a huge difference especially if those individuals are under 35. :lol:
I work with UX people and UI people every day, and many are younger and do great design work. Age does not make you good and design, research and trial and error do. But it is a real skill and so is s/w development. They are not interchangeable though

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Age does not make you good and design, research and trial and error do.
Young people tend to design things with text too small for us old people to read. All they have to do is research this forum. Several of us have complained about the text size. Design a UI for the kind of people that own giant oversized remotes and big button phones and it'll be almost big enough.

clarkss12

Postby clarkss12 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm

Young people tend to design things with text too small for us old people to read. All they have to do is research this forum. Several of us have complained about the text size. Design a UI for the kind of people that own giant oversized remotes and big button phones and it'll be almost big enough.
Haha, best laugh all day.

reverik

Postby reverik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:24 pm

That sort of proves my point. They have not been having UI people do the design, they have been having H/W and S/W people doing it out of necessity. I would be terrible at design, but I am good at project management.

dmbmke

Postby dmbmke » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:32 pm

I guess pointing out shortcomings violates the forum rules.

If I was in violation of “FUD without substance”, my substance is a series of releases with glaring issues, such as inability to delete episodes, out of sync audio, and frequent crashing, accompanied by a UI that misses the mark on clarity (hide/always/recent), intuitiveness (Esc to get to the DVR) and readability (see any onscreen text).

Fixes to these issues are promised but a presumably understaffed software team lags on all platforms while continuing to battle for DRM compabitivlty that has yet to materialize.

And the increasing number of “removed by moderator” postings seems more intended to softpedal customers that are displeased rather than promote civility in the forums.

GGRussell

Postby GGRussell » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm

Young people tend to design things with text too small for us old people to read.
Actually my point was all the silly thumbnails. If I had a choice of text only, I would be happy. I don't like Plex, Netflix, sling, Hulu, ad nauseam.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”