Apple TV app (tvOS)

A place for people to discuss future hardware and software product news
jseymour

Re: Apple TV app (tvOS)

Postby jseymour » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 pm

I can fully appreciate you appreciation in audiophile caliber equipment. Pro-logic may be in your future because inputs and stuff.
*shrug* Maybe. There is no question I'll eventually upgrade the receiver. Just not right now. But maybe I'll begin my research now so I can have a feel for the landscape before I need to make a decision.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:16 pm

I can fully appreciate you appreciation in audiophile caliber equipment. Pro-logic may be in your future because inputs and stuff.
*shrug* Maybe. There is no question I'll eventually upgrade the receiver. Just not right now. But maybe I'll begin my research now so I can have a feel for the landscape before I need to make a decision.
The current Yamahas are pretty nice and have all the bells and whistles. When you start looking make sure to check Costco as they carry carbon copies of the other Yamahas at a much better price than even online. The Costco ones are tag as TSR instead of RX, but it's just a branding thing and the TSRs are the same exact piece of equipment just a different set of initials. The specific model we got was the TSR-7810 ($850 MSRP) that we bought at Costco for $450 a few months ago.

We have ours paired with a set of Polk Vanishing Series loud speakers. I can only use those because I'm actually in the process of finishing my basement so wiring an Atmos system (7.1.2) is pretty easy. Those speakers with a matching Polk sub and the Yamaha sound incredible.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:36 am

The current Yamahas are pretty nice and have all the bells and whistles. When you start looking make sure to check Costco as they carry carbon copies of the other Yamahas at a much better price than even online. The Costco ones are tag as TSR instead of RX, but it's just a branding thing and the TSRs are the same exact piece of equipment just a different set of initials. The specific model we got was the TSR-7810 ($850 MSRP) that we bought at Costco for $450 a few months ago.
Yes, I noticed a Yamaha receiver at our local Costco last couple times we wandered in there. I always peruse the "toy aisles" when we go to Costco :) (Much to my wife's consternation.) That TSR-7810 does appear to garner good reviews, from just a cursory look.

However I'm pleased to announce my requirements have all been met, every last one of them, with a Gen. 2 Amazon Fire TV. Digital Dolby 5.1 via TOSLINK on everything (with the addition of a J-Tech audio extractor), IR remote (with the addition of a Flirc USB IR receiver), HDHR app (does not crash on channel changing, pause/play/ff/rew/etc.), Netflix, Amazon Prime and One America News.

I am so freaking happy with this thing Image I just pulled the trigger on a 2nd one, before they're all gone.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Postby DebbieFL33 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:42 am

Congratulations! :D

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:35 am

Congratulations! :D
Thanks! :)

I'm so flippin' happy I could nearly wet myself, and no mistake. Now, assuming the SD DVR'ing service works acceptably for us, it's looking like I can realize The Dream. The Holy Grail of Whole-House TV/DVR. The TV At The End Of The Rainbow. TV Nirvana. The Thing And The Whole Of The Thing Of TV.

Nonetheless: We'll probably acquire an Apple TV device once SD has made available an HDHR app for it.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:34 pm

A new HD Homerun user, and forum member here, adding a +1 for support for an Apple TV app.
I absolutely love the DVR subscription service through my Android TV, and may eventually replace our bedroom Apple TV with Mi Box 3. The cost of purchasing Channels app for 2 Apple TV's is not cost effective as we only use HD Homerun for OTA Broadcasts. Insta TV for Apple TV currently plays live TV in Full Screen and with Audio (not sure when that changed), but recordings are restricted size until purchasing the $15 add on.

Honestly, even after an official HD Homerun app for TVOS is released, we will still have Apple TV connected to media and master bedrooms, as there are still a few apps that are dragging their heels to join the Android TV family.

I've become very interested in the topics discussed in this thread, so I'll be keeping up.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 pm

I cannot recommend the InstaTV (Pro?) in app upgrade (for full screen). It doesn’t allow a secondary storage (although, SD app is capable) location.

Currently, I am still in a hold pattern waiting for a SD tvOS app. The iOS app (although has a few bugs...sometimes requiring an app restart) is primarily fantastic. TvOS app would be very welcomed (with or without DRM capability...of course, DRM would be preferred)...just to be able to use a SD app with full TV display with an Apple app rather than reverting to the Android app on a Shield TV which would require a new setup on our TV (attach the one Shield we have to the main TV with a new input HDMI connection for the Shield).

As always, I am still waiting for ANY drm recording solution...on any device!

Deihmos

Postby Deihmos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:34 am

I didn’t even realize there wasn’t a tvOS app until yesterday when I almost purchased the Apple TV. Now I may purchase the shield instead. I really prefer how Apple products work but there is no telling how long it will take. I was told on irc that they are waiting for the completion of the UI update to port to Apple TV.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:48 am

The cost of purchasing Channels app for 2 Apple TV's is not cost effective as we only use HD Homerun for OTA Broadcasts.
I would have assumed you would only have to buy it once for all your ATV devices--assuming they're all on the same Apple I.D.?

That's the way Channels apps work for Android TV and Amazon Fire TV.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 am

I didn’t even realize there wasn’t a tvOS app until yesterday when I almost purchased the Apple TV. Now I may purchase the shield instead. I really prefer how Apple products work but there is no telling how long it will take. I was told on irc that they are waiting for the completion of the UI update to port to Apple TV.
Yes because tvOS does not allow HTTP based interfaces so they have to write a whole new UI just for AppleTV. Meanwhile one HTTP base UI works for all the other systems including iOS.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:23 am

The cost of purchasing Channels app for 2 Apple TV's is not cost effective as we only use HD Homerun for OTA Broadcasts.
I would have assumed you would only have to buy it once for all your ATV devices--assuming they're all on the same Apple I.D.?

Sorry for confusion. I realize I only have to purchase the app once. We have 5 TV's viewers in the home, with 2 using Apple TV, most using Android. The $14.99 cost of the app, to only provide OTA channels to 2 of the viewers is still not cost effective. They wouldn't even have access to recordings made from our SD DVR subscription, from what I understand. However, I really like the Channels Guide. If the Channels DVR Subscription cost, $8 per month, were much lower, and they invested into acquiring DRM, I would consider.

I have a feeling that since DRM is now available on Android TV devices , there won't be as much interest in the Channels app. Their Blog had stated they had decided not to pursue DRM capabilities, as it would not be cost effective with the amount of Channels app users. That may have changed, but I haven't seen it mentioned on their site.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 am

Sorry for confusion. I realize I only have to purchase the app once. We have 5 TV's viewers in the home, with 2 using Apple TV, most using Android. The $14.99 cost of the app, to only provide OTA channels to 2 of the viewers is still not cost effective. They wouldn't even have access to recordings made from our SD DVR subscription, from what I understand. However, I really like the Channels Guide. If the Channels DVR Subscription cost, $8 per month, were much lower, and they invested into acquiring DRM, I would consider.

I have a feeling that since DRM is now available on Android TV devices , there won't be as much interest in the Channels app. Their Blog had stated they had decided not to pursue DRM capabilities, as it would not be cost effective with the amount of Channels app users. That may have changed, but I haven't seen it mentioned on their site.
They are too small of a company to meeting the liability requirements for approval so unless they suddenly become a much larger company they couldn't get certified even if they wanted to.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 am

As a “prime” tuner user, I’ve had to readjust my long ago priorities of saving money...to convenience/ease of use. We are still saving as our household is now paying a lot less due to return of “rental satellite boxes” just for viewing.

At this point, I am willing to pay the Channel’s newly announced yearly subscription of $80 for the absolute, best implementation of a DVR solution (more functional than our previous CC boxes) for a majority of our recording/viewing requirements. However, since our cable card (prime) also offers 39 DRM channels and wanting to take advantage of the included current movie offerings, I also want to utilize SD’s capabilities of DRM recordings. Hence, in the future, we will be paying for both solutions (unless SD fails to achieve their initial stated goal of “DRM recordings”).

Since we are an Apple household (4 ATV4/4K) we are anxiously awaiting an SD tvOS app, but do realize limitations on SD (see @GetMatt post above). In the interim, we have several Android (Shield & NP) devices which are now (as of 7/26 DRM view capable) used as separate inputs for viewing DRM (live for now...but hopefully recordings in the near future) on the same big screen TVs...not ideal, but workable...only been waiting 8 years for a total solution, so what’s another year or two...but hopefully in my lifetime.

My greatest concern is the viability of DRM recording/playback. SD has concentrated on Win10 and Android for DRM, viewing/playback. However, many do not want to use a Win10/Xbone due to energy concerns, preferring a lower energy consumption/quieter device. Now, as we are seeing, just with the newly announced Android DRM viewing, playback is limited to Nvidia Shield plus various soon to be EOL devices (NP, mi-box, tabs/phones, etc). Hence, Android DRM future now truly appears to be limited to the Shield. The only other viable proven technological solution in the marketplace (now and foreseeable future) is ATV. Hence, my belief that SD needs to step up their efforts in offering a tvOS app.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Postby NYPlayer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:20 am

There are plenty of low Powered Mini Pc's with Windows 10 that work … most people prefer Android devices because... the gui ... easy access to other Apps ... Prime , Netflix, YouTube etc ... easy to control with phone, remote , Alexa, Google home.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:26 am

Sorry for confusion. I realize I only have to purchase the app once. We have 5 TV's viewers in the home, with 2 using Apple TV, most using Android. The $14.99 cost of the app, to only provide OTA channels to 2 of the viewers is still not cost effective.
You do realize you pay that only once, right? And it's $24.99 for TV devices. The $14.99 is for mobile devices.
They wouldn't even have access to recordings made from our SD DVR subscription, from what I understand.
That is correct.
However, I really like the Channels Guide. If the Channels DVR Subscription cost, $8 per month, were much lower, ,,,
They do have an annual option: $80/year. Probably still too high for you.
...and they invested into acquiring DRM, I would consider.
Looks like DRM is out of the question for Channels :(
I have a feeling that since DRM is now available on Android TV devices , there won't be as much interest in the Channels app.
Perhaps. Then again there are those of us who do not need it.

Not throwing shade at those who do this, but I don't "get" going to all the trouble of dealing with this hardware and these apps and still paying for a cable TV subscription. We're doing it to get the conveniences of subscription TV without the monthly bill.

I would have preferred avoiding the per-platform app costs and the increased yearly subscription cost, but the Channels solution is so much more refined, and the developer so much more responsive to bug fix and enhancement requests that I'm happy to do it. Even my wife, who is exceedingly cost-conscious, is on-board.
Now, as we are seeing, just with the newly announced Android DRM viewing, playback is limited to Nvidia Shield plus various soon to be EOL devices (NP, mi-box, tabs/phones, etc).
Not so sure one might not think of the MiBox 3 as already EOL'd. Yesterday xiaomi.eu forums user MarkHUK posted a thread that he was giving up on Xiaomi. Apparently as a result of all progress/feedback on MiBox 3 issues from the Oreo release completely stopping. He was their biggest cheerleader over there. (I see they deleted the thread.)

What I'm seeing from Xiaomi is pretty typical of Android device developers, which is one reason I abandoned Android mobile devices last year.
There are plenty of low Powered Mini Pc's with Windows 10 that work …
Even if I "needed" DRM, I'd probably do without before I'd do that. I have a deep and abiding dislike for MS-Windows.

Return to “Future Product Discussion”