Apple TV app (tvOS)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mrodas

Re: Apple TV app (tvOS)

Postby mrodas » Fri May 25, 2018 11:36 am

Airplay is not available for me when I use the HDHomerun app on my iPad. I have the Apple TV version 2 I believe. My cable provider uses mostly DRM channels. Not sure if either of these items may be causing the issue. Also, has anyone heard when the HDHomerun app for the Amazon Fire TV will support DRM channels?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm

DRM channels cannot be Airplayed.

Support for DRM on the Android app is in development, no ETA right now.

NickS VR4

Postby NickS VR4 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 am

DRM channels cannot be Airplayed.

Support for DRM on the Android app is in development, no ETA right now.
Getting impatient. If it weren't for one channel missing from YouTube TV, I would have decided to scrap my entire setup for that. My father in law loves watching Fox News, and the only way I can get that to play is through a PC, but everything else in the house is Android TV. He has to watch TV in the basement, and switch the TV input to the computer, open up the app, and turn on that channel.

I wish you guys were a little more transparent on the status of Android DRM.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 am

Can SD perhaps provide any kind of update on the progress of an Apple TV app for HDHR?

The Xiaomi MiBox 3 solution isn't going to work out. Since there are no other workable Android TV based solutions that won't require I use an HDMI/HDMI S/PDIF audio extractor, anyway, I might as well avoid Android, entirely, which I'd prefer to do.

signcarver
Expert

Postby signcarver » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 pm

Based on what has been stated, I would not expect such for another "2 years"* being DRM recording and new UI has to come out first (then based on what has been stated some new "features" to DVR).

*yes it may be out before 2 years but I would not expect any "updates" until the above has been resolved (or it actually comes out).

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Lord am I tired of hearing about "DRM." Everything else has come to a screeching halt "because DRM." Ok then: Never mind. I'll just drop the flippin' project and move on to other things.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:09 pm

AppleTV isn't contingent on DRM, though it does need the UI rewrite to be finished and its own UI written. As with everything, it will be released when it's ready.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:00 pm

AppleTV isn't contingent on DRM, though it does need the UI rewrite to be finished and its own UI written. As with everything, it will be released when it's ready.
Do you guys have any estimate on the UI update being released? Is it soon (within the next month) or a few months out?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:07 pm

No estimate. Once the development team decides it is ready, it will be released to QA. QA will test it and provide feedback and any changes will be made. It will then be made available as a beta for everyone to test (via the new features option in the app settings) and once any remaining issues are ironed out it will be pushed to everyone.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:06 pm

@jasonl...IMO, most here who are interested in Apple tvOS have surmised (from your and @nickk various postings) that although AppleTV isn’t “contingent on DRM”...it is “on-hold” until after SD’s DRM/UI update, i.e.; no con-current development.

@jseymour...since you seem to have conquered your various tuning problems with the HDHR Quatro (4 tuner OTA) you might want to investigate other alternatives than SD DVR. The SD recording engine is rock solid, however SD’s other DVR functions/UI is abysmal.

I and some others have adopted Channels DVR as our (possible interim/permanent) solution until new SD UI and/or tvOS is released. Although a relatively expensive solution (app price + $8/month) IMO...it is hands down the best, full featured DVR solution I’ve ever tried. User friendly search including grid guide, multiple padding options, various commercial skip options (& offers extended auto comm skip usage with other media players), off site viewing, user defined auto pruning/deleting, scheduling/conflict views and multi-platform setup and playback. The only time I devote to managing the Channels DVR is <10 min a week...to review upcoming movies to record and deleting episodes which we don’t have already have setup for auto deletion. Also, recording engine is on a par with the SD DVR...for us...very, very few problems on either over the last two years. Maybe 1-2 skipped/corrupted recordings over the past year with either solution.

Others utilize Plex, Emby, MythTV, JRiver with all of the various SD tuners as their DVRs. And others use those same DVRs and/or Kodi/MrMC for a more enhanced playback experience.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:06 pm

The Apple TV app depends on the new UI being completed, because the rewrite makes it more straightforward to port to new platforms. It has no dependency on DVR DRM support. The various things that are on hold are specific to the project that is in progress on that particular component. In other words, we're not changing the way that the DVR works until DVR DRM support is complete, but that is completely separate from the UI.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 pm

The Apple TV app depends on the new UI being completed, because the rewrite makes it more straightforward to port to new platforms. It has no dependency on DVR DRM support. The various things that are on hold are specific to the project that is in progress on that particular component. In other words, we're not changing the way that the DVR works until DVR DRM support is complete, but that is completely separate from the UI.
So, if understand correctly, SD resources are concurrently being devoted to the aforestated two major projects: New UI and DVR DRM.

And, once new “overall” UI is complete, resources will then be directed to each separate platform UI rewrite (including an UI for tvOS).

In the meantime, as DVR DRM is being run as a separate project...it could be released at anytime before, during or after the new UI and platform specific UIs conclusion.

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm

New UI, DVR DRM, and Android DRM are all in progress by different teams. The new UI will apply to all current platforms, as the UI is implemented as a web page, which allows the same interface to be shared across all platforms. Apple TV doesn't permit web-based interfaces because ????, so it needs its own UI split off from everything else.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm

@jasonl

Awesome! Thanks so much for edification and clarifications.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:41 pm

Thanks for the update @jasonl

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”