Apple TV app (tvOS)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
damcck

Apple TV app (tvOS)

Postby damcck » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:53 am

Is a apple tv app in the works? or even on SD's radar.
I figured since the iOS one came last summer the tvOS might be around the corner.

Thanks

GetMatt

Re: Apple TV app (tvOS)

Postby GetMatt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

Yes they have been working on an AppleTV app for sometime. They have also said that there is a very good chance they will be able to get DRM working on AppleTV. There is no release date for the AppleTV app. They will probably run a beta through Test Flight when it is about ready.

marks

Postby marks » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:20 am

An Apple TV app would be awesome. I am currently using Channels app on the Apple TV which works well, but for DVR playback I use InstaTV app but seems buggy at times, so sometimes for DVR playback I use the HD homerun app which is more reliable on my iphone and Airplay it to the apple TV.
DRM support would be excellent also since half my channels are DRM, so I have to use either my PS3 or Win 10 laptop to show DRM channels or use an apple TV channel specific app for live tv or on demand.
DRM support by an HD HR app would sell many more Prime boxes I feel to other people I know, since they require more simplicity to access all channels than the workarounds I am using above.

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Count me in as someone who would love to see an Apple TV app as well. I tried Channels and had stuttering issues so I canceled it and got a refund. An SD app would be great.

bluejaycamp

Postby bluejaycamp » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:09 am

High hopes this would be part of CES announcement. NOT!

jwh

Postby jwh » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:58 pm

So, in the meantime, is the workaround to use AirPlay from an iOS device?

Thanks!

epee4fun

Postby epee4fun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:14 pm

So, in the meantime, is the workaround to use AirPlay from an iOS device?

Thanks!
I use Channels app for live TV and Plex for HDHR DVR recordings playback on my Apple TV.

marks

Postby marks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 am

Count me in as someone who would love to see an Apple TV app as well. I tried Channels and had stuttering issues so I canceled it and got a refund. An SD app would be great.
I never had a stuttering issue with the Channels app on Apple TV. Do you have a strong wifi connection with an AC router or an ethernet connection? I use the speedtest app from Apple app store to test my connection speed. I have a wifi AC router (Apple airport extreme) which is in the room next to where the Apple TV is.

I get stuttering with my Sony PS3 sometimes but that is because it only has a G wifi speed and I have not had a chance run an ethernet cable from the router to the PS3.

However, I agree an HD homerun app would be better especially if they supported DRM which SD knows is a strong requirement from users.

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am

I never had a stuttering issue with the Channels app on Apple TV. Do you have a strong wifi connection with an AC router or an ethernet connection? I use the speedtest app from Apple app store to test my connection speed. I have a wifi AC router (Apple airport extreme) which is in the room next to where the Apple TV is.

I get stuttering with my Sony PS3 sometimes but that is because it only has a G wifi speed and I have not had a chance run an ethernet cable from the router to the PS3.

However, I agree an HD homerun app would be better especially if they supported DRM which SD knows is a strong requirement from users.
I was hard-wired through Ethernet. The channels with the stuttering were local stations that are MPEG2. As I recall, it appeared as if it was dropping a frame on a consistent basis. And it was at times, random.

I also didn't like the idea that you have buy the product before you can even try it out. If it's been improved I may try it again but the fact that the DVR portion costs $8 per month, more than 3 times what SD charges, on top of the initial $25 doesn't excite me at all. I'm comfortable waiting for a solution from SD.

marks

Postby marks » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Hmm, strange even with ethernet connection you were having issues since I am not having Choppy playback issues at all with Channels app even with AC wifi. When I upgraded from my old SMC N router to Apple AC airport extreme I noticed a great improvement in wifi speed and some better reliability.
You may want to try connecting your ethernet from your cable modem directly to the Apple TV to see if that helps. If it does it maybe a router issue.

I use Insta TV which was a one time purchase on the Apple TV for DVR functionality to access HD HR recorded non-DRM shows.
Insta TV is choppy sometimes with a few recorded shows on the History channel and I am not sure why, so I Airplay from the HD HR app from my Iphone which works better or I just use the History channel app.

Keenan

Postby Keenan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Hmm, strange even with ethernet connection you were having issues since I am not having Choppy playback issues at all with Channels app even with AC wifi. When I upgraded from my old SMC N router to Apple AC airport extreme I noticed a great improvement in wifi speed and some better reliability.
You may want to try connecting your ethernet from your cable modem directly to the Apple TV to see if that helps. If it does it maybe a router issue.

I use Insta TV which was a one time purchase on the Apple TV for DVR functionality to access HD HR recorded non-DRM shows.
Insta TV is choppy sometimes with a few recorded shows on the History channel and I am not sure why, so I Airplay from the HD HR app from my Iphone which works better or I just use the History channel app.
My network is fine, every other device and app works just fine.

Like I said, I might give it another try in the future if something from SD doesn't happen within the next few months, but that 'buy first, then try" marketing approach is something that makes me not even want to bother with the product. There's no reason they couldn't have a trial version and if you like it, you buy it, and you save the hassle of getting a refund if it doesn't work for you. The money really isn't the problem for me, it's the approach.

ImNotSerious

Postby ImNotSerious » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:16 pm

but that 'buy first, then try" marketing approach is something that makes me not even want to bother with the product.

Amazon netted 178 Billion last year with that approach. As retail dies, it’s the new norm. Every local retailer appreciates your conviction. I wish I was able to try the Silicon Dust tuner before I bought.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:59 pm

I’ve had SD tuners for over 9 years...no complaints with buy, try. It was the kickstarter/early access $60 fee without trial that bummed me out. Still waiting for a positive result.

mcewinter

Postby mcewinter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 am

but that 'buy first, then try" marketing approach is something that makes me not even want to bother with the product.

Amazon netted 178 Billion last year with that approach. As retail dies, it’s the new norm. Every local retailer appreciates your conviction. I wish I was able to try the Silicon Dust tuner before I bought.
Amazon definitely lets you try out apps before purchasing them. Your statement is not relevant.

ImNotSerious

Postby ImNotSerious » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:47 am

Amazon definitely lets you try out apps before purchasing them. Your statement is not relevant.
Of course it’s relevant. All day long people sell and buy things from eggs to software without a trial, knowing they can take it back.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”