DRM'd Locals on Spectrum

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jcmaedl

Re: DRM'd Locals on Spectrum

Postby jcmaedl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Not to beat a dead horse but have you guys tried contacting the engineering departments of the stations?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:01 pm

Local station engineers tend to be very helpful in resolving these sorts of issues. They have good technical contacts they can reach out to in order to get it addressed, and they tend to actually want people to be able to watch their channels. I think Charter would be just as happy if you didn't watch their channels as long as you kept paying them :lol:.

WYFX and WYTV are run by WKBN, and you can contact them via http://wkbn.com/contact-us/ and selecting Engineering/Technical. If you're officially in the Youngstown market, I would start with them.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:59 pm

jasonl, it's true that the definition of "unencrypted broadcast television" in 76.1902 goes a long way towards clearing up the ambiguity in 76.1904. I wish go45cvi would respond to your question regarding whether the "rep" referenced was Spectrum or the FCC. What are the chances the FCC will act?
Sorry, I gave up on this BS. Spectrum weaseled their way out the complaint. They had a senior CC rep contact me and tell me the company line was that they did not have to mark locals copy freely after the transition to digital. I had a real hard time finding anyone in the CC dept who understood what copy flagging was, though this guy did, but was (ignorantly) full of sh!t.

Anyway, the FCC closed the complaint and I got a letter from Spectrum's legal dept saying:
"...the representative explained that, while Charter has encrypted its digital content, we have not placed any additional recording restrictions on the channels referred to in his filing"

My theory is they are trying to kill CC every way possible.

It doesn't really matter to me, since I need WMC to watch everything else anyway. It was just nice to save/move the local recordings when I reimage. Personally, I'm getting real tired of CC. I started a YouTubeTV trial since they have NBC, CBS, ABC in NEOH + Foxnet. Unfortunately you can't skip commercials on ESPN recordings so it's DOA, though it does have FF with audio. I'll try PSVue next.

Feel free to file another FCC complaint and if you want, you can reference mine (2182131). Though I think the local stations are a better avenue. I may contact them.

jcmaedl

Postby jcmaedl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 pm

Same kind of BS I got. Seriously do try your stations. The engineers are pretty cool guys.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 am

Spectrum’s interpretation is even more egregious than when Comcast had to renege on use of ios/android tablets for utilizing recording/ scheduling due to a “unmentionable in this forum named” complainant.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Spectrum’s interpretation is even more egregious than when Comcast had to renege on use of ios/android tablets for utilizing recording/ scheduling due to a “unmentionable in this forum named” complainant.
They're all crooks. And that jack@ss trump put on the fcc lets these corporations do whatever they want.

DebbieFL33

Postby DebbieFL33 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:47 pm

OTOH, the FCC has had no teeth in this game for over a decade. What a sorry mess and we are all the losers :lol:

jeffnite

Postby jeffnite » Sun May 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Been meaning to add a note on this situation. I had not really taken any action, intending to try a channel rescan first, but when I finally found an opportunity to do so, it appeared that Spectrum had "fixed" the problem, sometime about the end of March, and my local channel recordings are no longer copy-protected. I guess somebody solved the problem for me...

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”