DRM'd Locals on Spectrum

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
signcarver
Expert

Re: DRM'd Locals on Spectrum

Postby signcarver » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 am

Spectrum just forced every channel into encryption here and they flagged every channel with Copy None, including local broadcast channels. There was one inexplicable exception, WGN. So now that I have to use CableCard I can't timeshift or DVR anything.
They really have things messed up if they put copy none on them as that can only be on pay per view. Are you sure irs not copy once? (Not that the difference would currently matter outside of tivo/wmc as nothing else currently records )

I have heard tales of badly set up/damaged cards doing that but I don't see how that can happen other than multiple streams for my understanding how the stream is supposed to work

jcmaedl

Postby jcmaedl » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 am

You're right, I did mean to say Copy Once. I guess I'm so frustrated at not being able to do anything "None" just came out instead.

Is there a way to read the flag to know exactly what they have it set to?

jcmaedl

Postby jcmaedl » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 am

Incidentally, since this happened I also have a problem using the Prime on some PCs with "protection errors." I've got a thread for that here if anyone else does.
viewtopic.php?t=67755

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:03 am

Must just be your market. Spectrum in saint Louis only has the premium channels marked as DRM.
Yes it will depend on whether you are coming from TWC or Charter. TWC customers are used to copy once on everything except locals. Charter customers have something to look forward to.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 am

Does anyone have a link to the full text of the FCC plug n play? It would be nice to also be able to reference the page 30 @Nyplayer mentions.
See the 3rd reference off the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

jcmaedl

Postby jcmaedl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:43 am

See the 3rd reference off the wikipedia article:
Great, thanks!

Arative

Postby Arative » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Must just be your market. Spectrum in saint Louis only has the premium channels marked as DRM.
Yes it will depend on whether you are coming from TWC or Charter. TWC customers are used to copy once on everything except locals. Charter customers have something to look forward to.
Let's hope they keep charter drm in former charter markets!

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:56 pm

jcmaedl

Postby jcmaedl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 pm

Success!! The NBC affiliate engineer left me a message today and said he spoke to his Spectrum contacts. Later they called him back and he said they gave him the message "tell your customer to try it now."

Sure enough, I did a channel scan today and the DRM has been removed from all local stations. When I return his call tomorrow I'm going to offer to buy him a drink.

So, I'd encourage some calls, you might find a sympathetic ear like I did. :D

XenoBill

Postby XenoBill » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm

Have Spectrum in Cleveland, I will have to contact someone there because sometime in the last couple of months all my major locals became flagged with DRM.

go45cvi

Postby go45cvi » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:17 am

Have Spectrum in Cleveland, I will have to contact someone there because sometime in the last couple of months all my major locals became flagged with DRM.
Yep, I'm also in NEOH. I filled a complaint with the FCC, but the rep said they don't have to unflag them because they are digital not broadcast. Sounds shady. I recommend filing a complaint as well (you can reference my ticket if you like 2182131). If enough people complain, maybe the FCC will take it seriously and force them to unflag them nationwide.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/e ... m_id=33794

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Someone at the FCC said that? Or someone at Spectrum?

jeffnite

Postby jeffnite » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:35 pm

I live in NE Ohio (Warren area) and it looks like most of the local channels are now copy-protected here since Spectrum went all-digital February 6. I am disgusted. From what I can tell, the applicable section of the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations is 76.1904, and it is worded ambiguously where encrypted digital transmission is concerned, so we may be out of luck with the now-toothless FCC. The real question, though, is WHY does Spectrum copy-protect these channels in the first place? How does this benefit them? What is their angle? Is this the first step towards something even more egregious?

jasonl
Silicondust

Postby jasonl » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:30 pm

There is no ambiguity in 76.1604. The definition in 76.1602 has a specific provision that confirms that everything still applies even if the provider encrypts the channel.

I think you give Charter too much credit. Hanlon's razor seems to apply here.

jeffnite

Postby jeffnite » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

jasonl, it's true that the definition of "unencrypted broadcast television" in 76.1902 goes a long way towards clearing up the ambiguity in 76.1904. I wish go45cvi would respond to your question regarding whether the "rep" referenced was Spectrum or the FCC. What are the chances the FCC will act? I am an apartment-dweller with no good antenna, so I am stuck with cable for local broadcast TV. Looks like wyfx, woio, wews and wkyc are all copy-protected while wbcb and wjw are not, so it's not all Cleveland or Youngstown stations, and not all FOX stations are protected, but all local ABC stations are protected.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”