Quick status update & AMD GPU dilemma - 20170127

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Frogking

Re: Quick status update & AMD GPU dilemma - 20160127

Postby Frogking » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:59 pm

Not a single mention of MacOS. Bummer.

epee4fun

Postby epee4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:51 am

I hear you, but if you're running an intel mac, at least you won't have the AMD GPU problem! I would bet that MacOS is in the mix too, but would be good to hear thoughts from the SD team on that topic.

Bibbit

Postby Bibbit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:17 am

The only thing that confuses me is the title 20160127....
The name refers to the beta firmware version.

Bibbit

Postby Bibbit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:19 am

I haven't tried this on my Xbox One in a while. Does this mean I can now watch live DRM channels on it?

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:26 am

That firmware version would be a year old.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:57 am

I haven't tried this on my Xbox One in a while. Does this mean I can now watch live DRM channels on it?
Not yet... but soon.

Bibbit

Postby Bibbit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 am

That firmware version would be a year old.
You sir, are correct! I guess it was the date he started the post, but he meant 2017.

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:58 am

I hear you, but if you're running an intel mac, at least you won't have the AMD GPU problem! I would bet that MacOS is in the mix too, but would be good to hear thoughts from the SD team on that topic.
There is a technical complication with Mac which we don't yet have a solution for. Current plan is protected content record support for Win10 and Android, then revisit Mac. Mac remains a key platform for us and all DVR features for copy-freely content will be available on Mac.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Postby nickk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:59 am

You sir, are correct! I guess it was the date he started the post, but he meant 2017.
Typo - fixed.

epee4fun

Postby epee4fun » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:25 am

There is a technical complication with Mac which we don't yet have a solution for. Current plan is protected content record support for Win10 and Android, then revisit Mac. Mac remains a key platform for us and all DVR features for copy-freely content will be available on Mac.

Nick
:(

breezytm

Re: Quick status update & AMD GPU dilemma - 20170127

Postby breezytm » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:47 am

nickk...Will Live Channels works with DRM? Also can you give us a ball park in regards to time for Android. I do not care about certainty. An estimate would work for me. I am asking because in shield TV, the update keeps popping up and it is becoming very tiresome to have to dismiss it. I just need to know how much longer I have to do this for.

Sion

Postby Sion » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:09 am

The AMD issue doesn't affect me, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a very easy work-around for most people...
If I understand Nick correctly, the image looks bad because the AMD drivers aren't enabling deinterlacing properly so the hardware (or software either way doesn't matter) isn't deinterlacing the image.
Would it not be possible to simply send the image unadulterated, as recorded (or broadcast if watching live) to the user's display path? Most people using this system will not be watching on a "dumb" pc monitor (except occasionally like me when I use the app on a PC to schedule things, or do library maintenance, etc.)
For the many people for whom this is the case, sending an interlaced 480i or 1080i image to their TV or AV reciever shouldn't be a problem. Let the AVR or the TV do the deinterlacing. Many TVs and AVRs are probably better at it than Nvidia or AMD computer software/hardware anyway, since brands like Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Vizio, etc., have been working for years to optimize their deinterlacing algorithms for broadcast TV content (with all its mixed flags and jumping from progressive to interlaced and back again with commercials inserted into films, etc.) Whereas Nvidia and AMD have mostly (not exclusively) been concerned with gaming performance on PC monitors.
In fact, even though I have no AMD components in my system, I would prefer that my HDHomeRun system doesn't process the image at all; I'd prefer to let my other high-end video components do the video processing.
Is this not possible? If it is possible, then isn't this a work-around for people with AMD components in their video path?

destrekor

Postby destrekor » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 am

Is Windows 10 required? I have Windows 8.1 right now on my HTPC. I upgraded to 10 to lock in the license, but rolled back to 8.1 so that I can keep WMC going. I was hoping to concurrently test HDHR DVR alongside WMC on Windows 8.1.
The AMD issue doesn't affect me, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a very easy work-around for most people...
If I understand Nick correctly, the image looks bad because the AMD drivers aren't enabling deinterlacing properly so the hardware (or software either way doesn't matter) isn't deinterlacing the image.
Would it not be possible to simply send the image unadulterated, as recorded (or broadcast if watching live) to the user's display path? Most people using this system will not be watching on a "dumb" pc monitor (except occasionally like me when I use the app on a PC to schedule things, or do library maintenance, etc.)
For the many people for whom this is the case, sending an interlaced 480i or 1080i image to their TV or AV reciever shouldn't be a problem. Let the AVR or the TV do the deinterlacing. Many TVs and AVRs are probably better at it than Nvidia or AMD computer software/hardware anyway, since brands like Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Vizio, etc., have been working for years to optimize their deinterlacing algorithms for broadcast TV content (with all its mixed flags and jumping from progressive to interlaced and back again with commercials inserted into films, etc.) Whereas Nvidia and AMD have mostly (not exclusively) been concerned with gaming performance on PC monitors.
In fact, even though I have no AMD components in my system, I would prefer that my HDHomeRun system doesn't process the image at all; I'd prefer to let my other high-end video components do the video processing.
Is this not possible? If it is possible, then isn't this a work-around for people with AMD components in their video path?
This is an excellent post and suggestion. I hope they support this idea, and perhaps if they don't disable deinterlacing entirely, that they are least offer an option from within software? Let us choose to disable it so we can have our AV hardware do that work, and for those that want/need the software to do it, they can leave it enabled.

RockandRoller70

Postby RockandRoller70 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:48 am

Most people using this system will not be watching on a "dumb" pc monitor (except occasionally like me when I use the app on a PC to schedule things, or do library maintenance, etc.)
I wouldn't go that far. My PC is another place that I watch TV, especially when I'm working in my home office.

Years ago, I had a TV tuner card when everything was still analog and like having the ability to watch TV in a window on my PC. That was lost once everything moved digital and cable boxes as I didn't want the added expense to get a cable box just for that room.

The HDHomeRun has delivered that capability back to me in a fantastic way.

Sion

Postby Sion » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:16 pm

Most people using this system will not be watching on a "dumb" pc monitor (except occasionally like me when I use the app on a PC to schedule things, or do library maintenance, etc.)
I wouldn't go that far. My PC is another place that I watch TV, especially when I'm working in my home office.

Years ago, I had a TV tuner card when everything was still analog and like having the ability to watch TV in a window on my PC. That was lost once everything moved digital and cable boxes as I didn't want the added expense to get a cable box just for that room.

The HDHomeRun has delivered that capability back to me in a fantastic way.
I fully expected a couple people to respond saying something like this. I did say "most" people - not all. Also I said this is a work-around, not a solution; i.e. it's not ideal. I'm not saying this problem shouldn't be fixed. However for many users who would be affected, I would think this could be a decent temporary work-around. Indeed for many users who have a high-end video processing device (high end tv or avr) sending un-processed video out from the hdhr system would probably be preferable.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”