QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
avdp

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by avdp »

If you use the QPKG you should not have the record engine in /share/HDHomeRun at all. Delete it.
The QPKG installed the record engine in own folder (probably /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/ depending on your NAS configuration).

roklem

Post by roklem »

avdp wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:10 pm If you use the QPKG you should not have the record engine in /share/HDHomeRun at all. Delete it.
The QPKG installed the record engine in own folder (probably /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/ depending on your NAS configuration).
Interesting... that would explain it. And the reason I was confused is the fact is both programs aren't written ideally and are checking for ANY running HD instance, not THE running instance you're trying to execute a status check on.... yet ironically pulls the correct version data of only the local instance when that query is run. Possible tweak in both programs would help remove that confusion and put them closer to normal / best practice programming standards.

Leaving them both for now, but have the old install stopped and the GUI started. So good, have it running now, let's see what happens. Thanks!

avdp

Post by avdp »

You say "both programs" as if they are different. They are not, the QPKG just bundles SD's binary - it is not an alternate version of it.

The bottom line, if you use the QPKG installer, don't use SD's own NAS installer. It's one or the other.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Kind of surprised that you decided to use the package, when one knows how to start, stop, get the status and get the version of the engine... It is all probably moot now but all that was needed to update your old install would have been to wget the linux file after cd'ing to the share and make sure the newly downloaded version was executable and run that.

Code: Select all

cd /share/HDHomeRun
wget -O hdhomerun_record http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_record_linux
chmod +x hdhomerun_record
./hdhomerun_record start
The hdhomerun_record file in the share is basically an installer. Every time it runs it extracts the correct version for the cpu (from itself) to /tmp (i.e hdhomerun_record_arm or hdhomerun_record_x86) and then executes /tmp/hdhomerun_record_arm (or appropriate) with the parameter you provided.

roklem

Post by roklem »

avdp wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:48 pm You say "both programs" as if they are different. They are not, the QPKG just bundles SD's binary - it is not an alternate version of it.

The bottom line, if you use the QPKG installer, don't use SD's own NAS installer. It's one or the other.
Fair enough, perhaps the issue lies only with SD if you are just making calls directly from the tool.
signcarver wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 pm Kind of surprised that you decided to use the package, when one knows how to start, stop, get the status and get the version of the engine... It is all probably moot now but all that was needed to update your old install would have been to wget the linux file after cd'ing to the share and make sure the newly downloaded version was executable and run that.

Code: Select all

cd /share/HDHomeRun
wget -O hdhomerun_record http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/hdhomerun_record_linux
chmod +x hdhomerun_record
./hdhomerun_record start
The hdhomerun_record file in the share is basically an installer. Every time it runs it extracts the correct version for the cpu (from itself) to /tmp (i.e hdhomerun_record_arm or hdhomerun_record_x86) and then executes /tmp/hdhomerun_record_arm (or appropriate) with the parameter you provided.
Me, not a problem, family members is another issue. The ability for them to check on things, reboot the device and have it come back automatically, etc is one of the primary benefits without the confusion of trying to teach them unix CLI.

avdp

Post by avdp »

signcarver wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:00 pm Kind of surprised that you decided to use the package, when one knows how to start, stop, get the status and get the version of the engine...
Why surprised? What SD's "installer" doesn't do is actually integrate with the management interface from QNAP. It just drops an exe in a share, and that's it. If nothing else, to have the NAS start the record engine on boot is kind of important. Even if you are completely comfortable with CLI and Linux (as I am), QTS (QNAP's own version of Linux) has some quirky things that's just not particularly linux power user friendly.

gregw

Post by gregw »

Thank you for your effort developing and supporting this.
I installed the package and all seemed to go well but (like others) when I click on the HDHomeRunDVR Icon in QTS, a window opens up but there is nothing in it.

I am running a TS=251+ with QTS 4.3.3.0238
HDHomeRunDVR_0.9.22.qpkg
HDHomeRun Connect.

I can watch a record shows from my Windows 10 PC. My only problem is the GUI that is part of the package.

I followed these steps from another post:
Remember - ALWAYS log in as Admin to the QNAP
1. Remove the HDHomeRun DVR form the QTS Desktop App Center
2. Remove any folders you created for this.. e.g. /share/Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR
3. From QTS Desktop open the Control Panel and under Web Server do the following
3.1 scroll down and under Maintainence click on Restore to reset to default configuration
3.2 also down here under php.ini Maintainence click on Restore to reset the default php.ini
3.3 uncheck the Enable Web Server check box and click on Apply
3.4 check the Enable Web Server check box and click on Apply
4. From QTS Desktop open the Control Panel and under Share Folders
4.1 IF 'Recordings' exists and is empty select and click 'Remove'
4.2 Click on 'Restore Default Shared Folders'
4.3 IF 'Recordings' is not added back.. Will need to click on 'Create' and ensure Admin has readwrite permissions
Here are the results from the diagnostics script. I don't see anything wrong.
Thanks for your help.

QPKG installed to - /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR
QPKG Version Installed - 0.9.22
Checking /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR exists - TRUE
Checking /share/Web exists - TRUE
/share/Web points to /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Web and EXISTS
Checking the UI link exists in Web Share - True
/share/Web/HDHomeRunDVR points to /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/ui and EXISTS
HDHomeRunDVR/style set 755
CSS file exists and is set as 644
Checking UI Vars file exists - TRUE
====== CONTENTS =======
<?php
final class DVRUI_Vars
{
const DVRUI_version ="0.9.22";
const DVRUI_name ="QNAP HDHomeRun DVR Manager";
const DVRUI_author ="Rik Dunphy";
const DVRUI_email ="d3monrik@gmail.com";
const DVRUI_git ="https://github.com/Silicondust/dvr_install";
const DVR_qpkgPath ="/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR";
const DVR_bin ="hdhomerun_record_linux";
const DVR_sh ="HDHomeRunDVR.sh";
const DVR_config ="HDHomeRunDVR.conf";
const DVRUI_TZ ='';
}
?>
====== CONTENTS =======
Checking record engine configfile exists TRUE
====== CONTENTS =======
RecordPath=/share/Multimedia/HDHomeRunDVR
Port=59090
StorageID=318f830a-066e-8b1a-56f7-cce946eaa677
====== CONTENTS =======
Checking /share/Multimedia/HDHomeRunDVR exists TRUE
[/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR] #

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

gregw wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:59 pm Thank you for your effort developing and supporting this.
I installed the package and all seemed to go well but (like others) when I click on the HDHomeRunDVR Icon in QTS, a window opens up but there is nothing in it.

I am running a TS=251+ with QTS 4.3.3.0238
HDHomeRunDVR_0.9.22.qpkg
HDHomeRun Connect.

I can watch a record shows from my Windows 10 PC. My only problem is the GUI that is part of the package.
I've noticed this issue with a few apps on my desktop with latest updates. Not sure what's causing it.
Am currently out of the country and will be back later this week and will investigate.

TBH I just go direct to the UI via URL. will be in the form of http://<ip address of NAS>/HDHomeRunDVR
try accessing directly.
If that works then you're victim of the desktop/web page issue I'm seeing for other apps. And I hope to resolve it soon. I suspect it's an SSL thing..

If you can't access directly - then likely it's a firewall or web server issue. diagnostics look good.

gregw

Post by gregw »

It works fine using the direct URL. I am fine living with it that way. I really do appreciate your work on the app.
FYI, I turned off the windows firewall and it made no difference.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Some minor updates to the original 4 posts.

Big update on the how to transition from the Silicondust installer to the QPKG
See here viewtopic.php?p=186350#p186350

Will try and update a few more things as I go and clean up some of the things to make it much easier for people to use.

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

demonrik,
I think you need an update like DVR UI to fix Recordings and HDHRs menus.

Thanks
Rew

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Rew452 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:24 am demonrik,
I think you need an update like DVR UI to fix Recordings and HDHRs menus.

Thanks
Rew
yep.. will do it later today..

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

Thanks! Again

Rew

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Removed - see OP for correct version and link
Last edited by demonrik on Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

demonrik,

Only seeing 0.9.22 version on all links

Rew