Six Monitor Setup: Unable to Play Channel: HDCP Required to Display Protected Content

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cejack

Six Monitor Setup: Unable to Play Channel: HDCP Required to Display Protected Content

Post by cejack »

I get the error, "Unable to Play Channel: HDCP Required to Display Protected Content" on one of my systems.

I have a working SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime with Cable card. Works fine on multiple machines in the home.

Have a six monitor setup and have confirmed that the monitors support HDCP.

System: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series GPU - It's the Visiontek Radeon 7700 Version with the six mini-display ports in the back. Using an old AMD 8350 - 8 Core FX processor.

Monitors:

1) LG 22MK400H-B
2) LG 22MK400H-B
3) Dell 2408 WFP
4) Gatweway FHD2400
5) HP w2408 (Essentially pretty much the same thing as the Gateway)
6) BenQ - GL2760 (

Now, my suspicion is that all these monitors work with normal setups that don't have passive / active DP to HDMI converters. I know they have worked in the past with HD HomeRun Prime on single or dual monitor systems just fine. I guess maybe I could go all straight DisplayPort monitors on this thing and perhaps that would fix everything. Not 100% sure of that. I suspect that may be the case though.

Anyone know if the HDCP is screwed because I have an active or passive adapter for Mini-DP to HDMI on some of these monitors? I suspect that's the case but I don't know enough about what those adapters do to HDCP signal to be sure.

Any tests or troubleshooting tricks to know what the true problem is with regards to which monitor(s) are causing the problem would be great. I'm assuming the adapters are messing something up here but would like to confirm that.

~cj4

jasonl
Expert

Re: Six Monitor Setup: Unable to Play Channel: HDCP Required to Display Protected Content

Post by jasonl »

Passive adapters should work. Active can depend on the adapter.

Troubleshooting is to pull 5 of them and test. Add one back and test again. Repeat until it breaks. When it breaks, pull that one and try a different one in its place. You'll most likely find that either there's a fixed number of displays that will work (e.g. 4) and it will break beyond that, or that there's a problem with an adapter or display and it will work without that. My money is on either a < 6 limit for HDCP on the card or the 2408 because it's ancient and anything pre-2010 is sketchy as hell when it comes to HDCP, even when it claims support.

cejack

Re: Six Monitor Setup: Unable to Play Channel: HDCP Required to Display Protected Content

Post by cejack »

Thanks for the helpful response. I'm thinking of trying each monitor hooked up to a laptop here and see if each works with HD Homerun first. (I have a laptop with 5ghz AC and a laptop with ethernet cable with each having an HDMI output.)

I've tried pulling monitors for some troubleshooting of the active / passive adapters before. The setup got real wonky on me and was taking me forever to get back to the six monitor setup. Since this is a "production" setup, I'm not going to press my luck and I'm going to try with HDMI connection and/or DVI connection which should both be supported under HDCP if I remember correctly.

Maybe the better idea is to add some more modern monitors in place of those old ones and see what happens.

This isn't a deal breaker for this system. Just would like to get it working. I'm thinking I probably need two video cards with six total outputs on a new system if I wish to have HD HomeRun abilities across six monitors. Planning on buying a new system at end of year or beginning of next year.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Kind of off topic, but on topic for your new build. Look to ASUS.
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card (PCIe 2.0, 2GB GDDR5 Memory, 4X HDMI Ports, Single-Slot Design
Under $200

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Upgrading from one 2012 GPU to another 2012 GPU is unlikely to solve problems.

jazzy112

Post by jazzy112 »

Most watch TV full screen right? Find one of those mini PC's cheap on Ebay, and connect it directly to one of your monitors. Or get a used Xbox One, then you can use the Infrared Media Remote.

I have 4 monitors on my Setup, but they are all native DP or HDMI and I don't have problems.