Recordings don't show and eventually stop recording unless I reinstall dvr on synology ds218+

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
crashnburn

Recordings don't show and eventually stop recording unless I reinstall dvr on synology ds218+

Post by crashnburn »

I have 2 odd issues with the dvr service. I am running the dvr service on my synology ds218+. Sometimes my dvr stops recording. If I run the hdhomerun setup on the nas it gets it working again. Eventually the reordings stop after some time until I run the setup again. I thought it may have been caused from first using the dvr service on my pc before I purchased my nas. I recently built a new pc so the dvr software is only on my ds218+ now. Is there something I can do to fix this so I don't have to run the setup every week or more? Also my recordings don't show in the recording page. I usually have to find them through plex or file search apps. I recorded the 3 fbi shows last night which were not listed in recordings.. I was able to find them through plex in my homerun recording folder.. Thanks in advance.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Recordings don't show and eventually stop recording unless I reinstall dvr on synology ds218+

Post by signcarver »

NedS may have posted something in the info pages on how to configure a synology but the only NAS that will autostart the hdhomerun dvr engine the way you are installing are WD MyCloud (not "home" models). As a result whenever the nas reboots (power loss, updates, etc.), your engine will need to be restarted. In general you would want to use the package from demonrik which should autostart.

Edit: noticed autocorrect had changed MyCloud to McCloud
Last edited by signcarver on Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Recordings don't show and eventually stop recording unless I reinstall dvr on synology ds218+

Post by NedS »

Auto-start instructions for Synology: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas ... s_boots_up

crashnburn

Post by crashnburn »

thanks I think i have it fixed now. I want to double check my emailed out put.

Task: HDHomeRun DVR startup
Start time: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:49:12 GMT
Stop time: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 11:49:12 GMT
Current status: 0 (Normal)
Standard output/error:
HDHomeRun RECORD started

Does the standard output/error: mean there is an error or does that mean there is no error since no information follows it? I did have to run the hdsetup again to get all the recorded shows to appear.

thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

In this context I would think that it means "output message and/or error message" and that message was "HDHomeRun RECORD started".

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I'm a little concerned that you said you had to reinstall to see your recordings as to me that indicates wherever you pointed your .conf file to record either isn't up or wrong. Only thing I can think of doing that which may still work is if in between the installs you tried to get demonrik's package up as that defaults elsewhere. It could also have happened if for some reason your client was already opened and the restart changed ports (I suggest the .conf file have a static port set) and you also restarted client and it was the client restart that that actually fixed it not the reinstall.

Hopefully it isn't an issue but if you have problems again I'd look there.

crashnburn

Post by crashnburn »

Thanks guys. I stopped my nightly reboot task and added the dvr start tasks which has resolved my problems. Thanks for your assistance.