Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
caryh1

Re: Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Post by caryh1 »

Any updates on this? Its been over 4 months since it was originally reported and easy to reproduce. Has the root cause been found or do you more info?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

caryh1 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 pm Any updates on this? Its been over 4 months since it was originally reported and easy to reproduce. Has the root cause been found or do you more info?
Several different issues were reported and fixed in this thread, including the original poster's original issue. At the moment we are not able to reproduce any other issues with the Chromecast w/Google TV, but we will have the dev team look more closely very soon. Nick and the other guys are in the middle of a huge move to another building right now, but I will make sure to remind them that you are still seeing an issue.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

For my latest issues with the chromecast and some other android boxes the issue was going to live tv on a FULL (99.9% full) flex 4k, disconnected the drive from the flex and restarted it now everything has been fine for the last few days. My main nas was similarly full by percentage but had more space because of the larger drive, even deleting more from that didn't seem to get the android boxes to not use the flex for live until I pulled the drive from the flex.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

I just tested again on my Chromecast via Wifi and plugged into a 4K Sony TV. Yes it works fine at first, but on the third or fourth DRM channel change the video freezes immediately with audio, then the audio stops. A few seconds later the screen goes black, then the video reappears a few seconds later with a later frame still frozen with audio, then the audio stops, then on the third try it resumed normally. I've seen it resume on just one stop. I've seen this happen also on my 2nd Chromecast plugged into an AV Receiver also using Wifi. Output goes to a 1080p projector.

Let me know if you need diagnostics.

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro »

Updating from my previous report post that updating to the new 20210902 app version did not solve my issue.
Canizorro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 pm Good Afternoon,

Joining in this thread to report I am having the same issue of video freezing but audio continuing on when I change the channel both in the Live Channels and HDHomeRun apps.

HDHR5-4US: 20210624
HDHomeRun App: 20210820
Live Channels: 1.28.340749961
Chromecast w/Google TV: QTS1.210311.008.7350836

I've tried everything in this thread: clear cache, uninstall reinstall app, made sure everything was updated, turned off surround sound, rebooted HDHomeRun hardware and Google Chromecast with Google TV dongle.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

Pinging again. Another 2 weeks and over 4 months from the original report. Is this being actively worked on and do you need more info (details are in my previous reports and diagnostics are turned on)? It is extremely easy to recreate.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Please try the new 20210928 release: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... ndroid.apk

This detects when the hardware MPEG2 codec has stalled/failed and switches to software decode.

Nick

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

Thanks for the update and the 20210928 definitely fixes the total picture freeze on channel change that I could consistently recreate but now we're seeing an occasional hitch (stuck frame for less than a second but more than 1/30th). I'm not 100% sure this wasn't there before but doesn't happen when playing back on the Windows 10 app and only when playing back through the Chromecast with GoogleTV.

We'll try to keep track of how often it is hitching when we have more of a chance to watch.

Thanks for the update.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Switching from hardware MPEG2 decoder to software decoder won't be cost free. PQ probably will take a hit. I wish Google could fix that MPEG2 decoder problem.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Well, I tried the new app and it makes the Chromecast with Google TV almost like my old MiBox 3, very jitterily, even when I play recorded shows. I think when it switched over to software decoding, the limited processing power of the dongle simply just can't keep up. The problem shows up most often and obvious whenever the screen has a lot of movements. This is when I connected CCwGTV to a 4K TV. Not sure if 2K TV will work better.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

After upgrading, the video freeze on channel change is "fixed" where the video now is stuck for a little less than a second before unfreezing itself (assuming it is switching to the software decoder). Unfortunately, if you pause or rewind (client side buffering), you often have really bad jittering playback (not consistent framerate) until you change channels and back again. I also see occasional hitching (more than a couple of frames and once every 30 or seconds) and not consistent. I don't see the same hitching when playing back on the Windows 10 app on the same TV channel.