Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC - gab

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gab

Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC - gab

Post by gab »

Happy Easter!

Now that the high-priority work around the ATSC 3.0 tuner seems to be complete, any news on the HDHR DVR front?

gab

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by gab »

Hello

Do you have news to share regarding better keyboard or remote-control support?

Thanks

gab

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by gab »

Hello

Can I still dream of getting proper keyboard and remote-control support in the Windows 10 app before the end of the summer (or at least proper keyboard support)?

Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC - gab

Post by nickk »

Hi gab,

I split your posts off to a new thread.

We have keyboard support and remote control support. There are a few remote control buttons we can't catch - a few are caught by the operating system (not available to apps) and a few others are not available to UWP apps like the HDHomeRun app. We support the common buttons that are available as keycodes to UWP apps and we support the multimedia keys available through the system-multimedia path (on a keyboard these are the play/pause/seek buttons).

My main TV-watching system is a Windows 10 system with a wireless keyboard. I have a HP WMC remote at home somewhere - I will switch to that for a few days.

If you have some specific keyboard commands you would like to propose please post and we can talk them through.

Nick

gab

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC - gab

Post by gab »

nickk wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:11 am Hi gab,

I split your posts off to a new thread.

We have keyboard support and remote control support. There are a few remote control buttons we can't catch - a few are caught by the operating system (not available to apps) and a few others are not available to UWP apps like the HDHomeRun app. We support the common buttons that are available as keycodes to UWP apps and we support the multimedia keys available through the system-multimedia path (on a keyboard these are the play/pause/seek buttons).

My main TV-watching system is a Windows 10 system with a wireless keyboard. I have a HP WMC remote at home somewhere - I will switch to that for a few days.

If you have some specific keyboard commands you would like to propose please post and we can talk them through.

Nick
Hi Nick

I am still hoping for the specific keyboard commands listed in this earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=366697#p366697

copied hereunder for easier access:

Green Button = Windows logo + Alt + Enter [return to "Starting Page" defined in Settings]
Info/Details = Ctrl + D [info on current channel]
Live TV = Ctrl + T [Live]
Recorded TV = Ctrl + O [Recorded]
Guide = Ctrl + G [Discover in the context of HDHR app]
DVD Menu = Ctrl + Shift + M [ I suppose this could be used to jump to My Tasks]
My TV = Ctrl + Shift + T [unused]
My Videos = Ctrl + E [unused]
My Music = Ctrl + M [unused]
My Pictures = Ctrl + I [unused]
DVD Audio/SAP = Ctrl + Shift + A [SAP]
Subtitles/CC = Ctrl + U [CC] [note: Ctrl + Shift +C is listed on some unofficial docs as being CC while Ctrl + U is subtitles, so maybe implement both]
Zoom/Aspect Ratio = Ctrl + Shift + Z [Zoom]

Go back to the previous screen or backspace a single character in Search = BACKSPACE [currently BACKSPACE implements only backspace a single character in Search, while going back to the previous screen requires pressing ESCAPE, so same issue as with the Back command on the remote, this needs to be made contextual]
Move up one channel = EQUALS (=) or CTRL+EQUALS or PLUS (+ on the numerical keypad) [should also consider PAGE UP]
Move down one channel = HYPHEN (-) or CTRL+HYPHEN or MINUS (- on the numerical keypad) [should also consider PAGE DOWN]
Record = CTRL+R
Pause = CTRL+P [also resumes depending on state]
Play = CTRL+SHIFT+P
Stop = CTRL+SHIFT+S
Replay = CTRL+B [the 10 sec rewind although in WMC it is allegedly only 7 secs]
Skip = CTRL+F [the 30 sec fast-forward]
Rewind = CTRL+SHIFT+B [same as Replay to support fake MCE remotes that might send that until proper rewind is implemented in HDHR]
Fast Forward = CTRL+SHIFT+F [same as Skip to support fake MCE remotes that might send that until proper fast-forward is implemented in HDHR]
Mute = F8
Volume Down = F9
Volume Up = F10

(based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... msdn.10%29)

Thanks!

and I am still hoping that you will eventually implement remote control support for buttons that are not natively available to UWP apps using the approach discussed earlier at viewtopic.php?p=366701#p366701

(references
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... dows-store
https://stefanwick.com/tag/fulltrustprocesslauncher/
https://github.com/JREkiwi/sagetv/blob/ ... wInput.cpp )

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gab wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:25 am I am still hoping for the specific keyboard commands listed in this earlier post: viewtopic.php?p=366697#p366697
(based on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previo ... msdn.10%29)
Microsoft has moved on from that list with dedicated transport controls.

Move up or down a channel: Remote - press the channel up button or the channel down button. Keyboard - press up-enter or down-enter.
Record: Remote - press the record button. Keyboard without a record button can be done with OSD navigation.
Pause: Remote - press the pause button. Keyboard - press the play/pause button.
Play: Remote - press the play button. Keyboard - press the play/pause button.
Stop: Remote - press the stop button or the back button. Keyboard - press the ESC button.
Replay/Rewind: Remote - press the rewind button. Keyboard - press the left button.
Skip/Fast-forward: Remote - press the fast-forward button. Keyboard - press the right button.
Mute: Remote - press the mute button. Keyboard - press the mute button.
Volume: Remote - press the volume up/down buttons. Keyboard - press the volume up/down buttons.
Bonus - forward or back 10 minutes: Remote - press the track prev/next buttons. Keyboard - press the track prev/next buttons.
gab wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:25 am and I am still hoping that you will eventually implement remote control support for buttons that are not natively available to UWP apps using the approach discussed earlier at viewtopic.php?p=366701#p366701
As explained previously, desktop extensions require approval from Microsoft (and multiple app versions). We reached out to Microsoft and they no longer grant pre-approval.
All the transport controls work so there isn't much to be gained and we have to offset that against the risk of doing development of something that breaks the UWP app rules requiring Microsoft to grant an exception which they may or may not do and they won't tell us ahead of time what their decision will be.

gab

Post by gab »

OK

A bit sad but could we still get the following keyboard shortcuts then (for all keyboard users, and users that want to use AdvancedMCEMapperTool to map WMC remote buttons to keyboard sequences)?

Info/Details = Ctrl + D [info on current channel]
Live TV = Ctrl + T [Live]
Recorded TV = Ctrl + O [Recorded]
Guide = Ctrl + G [Discover in the context of HDHR app]
DVD Menu = Ctrl + Shift + M [ I suppose this could be used to jump to My Tasks]
DVD Audio/SAP = Ctrl + Shift + A [SAP]
Subtitles/CC = Ctrl + U [CC] [note: Ctrl + Shift +C is listed on some unofficial docs as being CC while Ctrl + U is subtitles, so maybe implement both]
Zoom/Aspect Ratio = Ctrl + Shift + Z [Zoom]

And those for the users of non-multimedia keyboards (as well as users of AdvancedMCEMapperTool or even users of fake WMC remotes that send standard keyboard sequences)?

Go back to the previous screen or backspace a single character in Search = BACKSPACE [currently BACKSPACE implements only backspace a single character in Search, while going back to the previous screen requires pressing ESCAPE, so same issue as with the Back command on the remote, this needs to be made contextual]
Move up one channel = EQUALS (=) or CTRL+EQUALS or PLUS (+ on the numerical keypad) [should also consider PAGE UP]
Move down one channel = HYPHEN (-) or CTRL+HYPHEN or MINUS (- on the numerical keypad) [should also consider PAGE DOWN]
Record = CTRL+R
Play = CTRL+SHIFT+P
Stop = CTRL+SHIFT+S
Rewind = CTRL+SHIFT+B [same as Replay to support fake MCE remotes that might send that until proper rewind is implemented in HDHR]
Fast Forward = CTRL+SHIFT+F [same as Skip to support fake MCE remotes that might send that until proper fast-forward is implemented in HDHR]
Mute = F8
Volume Down = F9
Volume Up = F10

Thanks!

ref: https://github.com/baijuxavior/Advanced ... /x86/Debug

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Focusing on the transport controls first...
gab wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:06 pm And those for the users of non-multimedia keyboards (as well as users of AdvancedMCEMapperTool or even users of fake WMC remotes that send standard keyboard sequences)?

Record = CTRL+R
Play = CTRL+SHIFT+P
Stop = CTRL+SHIFT+S
Mute = F8
Volume Down = F9
Volume Up = F10
Keyboard - backspace is used to back out a character, ESC is used to back out of a menu. This is by design.

All the listed buttons work with the HDHomeRun app when using a WMC remote - no configuration or key remapping tool necessary. I am using a HP WMC remote (I think you may have been the person who recommended it?).

For odd-ball remotes that use a remapping tool, you could presumably map the remote buttons to the same codes a WMC remote generates.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

I use the HP WMC remote almost exclusively from the easy chair. Just wanted to add that the OK button changes to Previous Channel in WMC. Is that one of the ones captured by the OS or can it also be implemented?