Live DRM viewing with android app broken

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nblair5
Device ID: 1325616D

Live DRM viewing with android app broken

Post by nblair5 »

I submitted a support ticket, but given how consistent and reproduceable this issue is, thought others are probably affected too. Details are below. Anyone?

Not sure how long this problem has been happening because most of the channels I watch regularly are not DRM. Local cable company has NBC Sports flagged as DRM, so running into this with Olympics coverage.

Problem observed is that all Android devices in household are unable to view DRM channels, when they were able to in the past. Windows devices are able to view these channels without an issue.

Firmware update performed last night on PRIME and windows software on the machine configured as DVR was updated at the same time. Android devices tested were verified to be running the most current app with no updates available.

Four Android devices verified to reproduce this issue, including Google Pixel 4a and two generations of Nvidia Shield Pro, with some connected via ethernet and some over wifi.

Troubleshooting steps attempted:
  • Rescan channels within HDHomeRun PRIME configuration page and within Android app
  • Cleared app cache and restarted android devices
  • Turned on diagnostic data on at least two of the devices and attempted to tune to DRM channels
  • Power cycle of PRIME device

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Live DRM viewing with android app broken

Post by foxbat121 »

Works fine here with my Pixel 5 and various Android TV devices. Make sure the Location permission is allowed on HDHR apps.

nblair5

Post by nblair5 »

Thanks for the response, just knowing that it is working for some tells me it is worth time troubleshooting. Weird if I'm the only one, but adding new info here just in case it is helpful to anyone else who runs into this. I don't think it is location permission based on the below, but open to anything.

New developments:
  • Without trying anything new since my last post, one of the shields started working with DRM channels when the other 3 devices still couldn't. Ironically, it is the one that is usually the canary in the coalmine for my home because it is the only one using wifi (instead of ethernet) and a non-standard resolution (2560x1440) enabled by developer settings.
  • I checked permissions on the pixel and location was enabled while app in use. It still wouldn't view DRM. Out of frustration, I uninstalled the app and reinstalled (I had done force stop, clear cache, clear data in the past with no effect). It asked for location permission on first run, and then was able to view DRM.
  • Thinking this was the trick, I went to one of the hardwired shields. First checked location permission (not enabled, but hadn't stopped DRM in the past). I enabled it (still no DRM). I uninstalled the app and restarted the device before reinstalling. On first run, it did not ask for permissions and did not view DRM.
    Manually enabled location permission for the app (still no DRM). Force closed the app, cleared cache and data (still no DRM).

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I was going to say the same thing as the main two places I watch use chromecasts and they had no issue... However I did confirm my Tivo stream 4K, Jetstream 4K, and my shield at my parent's are no longer viewing DRM channels... all of these were working in the last week or so. I had noticed that though I typically set the devices to 1080p that all of them have recently switched to best available. I did notice one of my tivo stream 4Ks wants to update and is having problems with space to do that upgrade so I will try that. As I recall SD wanted hardware decode for DRM and I know at one point or another they switched interlaced content to doing software decoding on some of those platforms. I'll fool around a bit more but its hard to believe everything is failing right now (I did analyze some network traffic and some of my ping times are atrocious including 3 seconds (not ms) to one device...

Another thing I noticed is my provider switched many more channels to h.264 since my last scan a week or so ago and and finishing up the scan now (seeing AVC pop up during it) so that may be another issue but in the past I haven't had issue with protected h.264 with SD's app on these devices, only with other apps/devices that I have that can usually handle DRM. The local "SD" sub channels are now AVC with many more of them having DRM protection.

BTW often location permissions have to be enabled for app and device... I also have seen needing to restart the android device. I had tried the uninstall reinstall trick as well and it never asked me for such (though I enabled it ahead of time since I knew it needed it) and I don't see any requests for such.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Seeing DRM renew rejects in the server logs - investigating now...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

As an update for me everything is working now with all my devices some apparently were more of a pain to get working than others. But once I got one to work, rebooting the other devices eventually got them to work (though one device seemed to have to have reboots after every setting change to eventually work)

nblair5

Post by nblair5 »

Update here, my 3rd shield was working when I went to check it again. Not sure when that happened because I was focusing my troubleshooting on the other non-working one, which is still not working. So I'm down to 1 device with the issue. Hoping this means it is just a matter of time or number of DRM handshakes attempted.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

nblair5 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:36 pm Update here, my 3rd shield was working when I went to check it again. Not sure when that happened because I was focusing my troubleshooting on the other non-working one, which is still not working. So I'm down to 1 device with the issue. Hoping this means it is just a matter of time or number of DRM handshakes attempted.
Could be latency on the network. That's certainly something shared across different platforms that can affect DRM channels. If I haven't replied to your ticket yet then I will find it tonight and take a closer look.

nblair5

Post by nblair5 »

Update, the last of the shields can view DRM now. No troubleshooting steps in between. It didn't work last night, put the device to sleep, tried this morning and it worked.

Latency would surprise me if that's what you find. I wouldn't know how to test at the application level and I'm not a gamer so I wouldn't notice immediately. But none of us have noticed any other network issues during this time, pings between devices look solid now, and there have been no network configuration changes recently (including all devices having fixed DHCP assignments). The order that the devices started to work also doesn't correlate with my expectations for relative latency of the devices.

Resolution Order----------Device---------------------Hops from HDHomeRun
1 (always worked)--------Windows 10 PC----------3 GigE
2-----------------------------Shield---------------------2 GigE + 1 5ghz
3-----------------------------Pixel-----------------------2 GigE + 1 5ghz
4-----------------------------Shield---------------------2 GigE (closest possible, plugged into same router as HDHomeRun, devices inches apart)
5-----------------------------Shield---------------------4 GigE

RTT's today to an assortment of the hardwired devices (2-4 hops) are <1 to 3 ms typical, 12 ms worst in sustained scan of last shield.
Wifi devices <1 to 300ms, 30ms worst in sustained scan of wifi shield.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I think there is some problem on the backend, e.g. what Nickk mentioned above. I just tested on 6 of my other rarely used Android TV boxes (3 Dynalink boxes, 2 original Nexus Player and 1 MiBox 3). All of them now failed with the same error (Content Protection required). They all work with DRM channels before. I just didn't use them for couple months now. The other 4 Android TV devices I uses frequently still work. BTW, I turned on the diagnostic info on one of my Nexus Player and one of Dynalink box when reproducing this issue.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I wonder if this is the root cause of this issue: https://www.theregister.com/2021/07/22/ ... ns_outage/

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Problem fixed. (Google changed the root certificate needed to validate Android devices).

You will need to fully quit and restart the HDHomeRun app - easiest is to reboot the Android device.

Nick