Can't add time to task that is recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jbahlman@gmail.com
Device ID: 13263ED4 13267ED9

Can't add time to task that is recording

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com »

I was watching an nba game tonight and i wanted to watch something else and come back later. So i clicked record and added 2hrs to the end. But when i went back to watch it, it didnt extend and i missed the end of the game.
I just tried the same thing with the 2nd game and the same thing happened.

Pretty annoying.
On top of the freezing that has been going on for months now i miss the end of 2 games.

jbahlman@gmail.com

Re: Can't add time to task that is recording

Can someone try and add time to show that is already recording to confirm that it isn't just me?
I am running the record on a QNAP Nas running 20210303beta1

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Did you:
Start the recording and then later adjusted the padding?
or Added padding when you set up the recording?

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Note that if you add padding to something that is already recording, the timeline will be incorrect when you watch it in the HDHomeRun app. The show will extend past the end of the timeline.
It appears that the app gets the timeline from the recording rule and not the actual length of the recording.

Edit: This is probably something SiliconDust needs to look at. I'm not sure why they wouldn't use the actual length of the program. The HDHomeRun app and Kodi go haywire when going past the end of the timeline.

jbahlman@gmail.com

I think i tried to add the padding right after i clicked the record button. The game had already started, so you would expect clicking record to work then going to the task and adding the padding would work. If you aren't allowed to edit the task after it starts, then it should block that, although every other dvr i have used allowed that.

Ideally it would let me add the padding right when i click on record, but i understand if they just want it to be a quick record.

I am not sure i understand the statement about the timeline being incorrect if i add padding after the start. Wouldn't that cause an issue on any recording that has padding?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Adding end padding should work.

Did you change the start padding by any chance? it looks like that might result in the recording settings not updating.

Nick

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

Adding padding to an in-progress recording does not extend the timeline in the HDHomeRun app. If you open the recording in VLC you'll see the actual length of the recording.

jbahlman@gmail.com

I didn't add padding to the beginning. I only added 2hrs to the end. Both times it didn't work.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Does playback stop at the original end time or did it record the extra 2 hours but is reporting the timeline incorrectly?

As mentioned above, playing the file in VLC is a good way to check the length of the recording (with some corner case exceptions).

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I'll have to do some tests in a more documented way on each as to how I created such tasks as I tried a variety of ways and some actually seemed to behave correct (or perhaps didn't add the time) but below is a picture of a movie from setting 10 little indians to record though the image is from charade that aired after, that shows the win10 app playing past the original padding after that movie (so timeline is wrong). I set to record and then added padding while in progress (note the ones I tried yesterday were all starting in progress but I think I used discover now to get to them to set such up but a couple which I believe were from recording "This Airing" didn't seem to add subsequent time or somehow actually got ending time correct while others didn't)

jbahlman@gmail.com

I checked a simpsons episode that i did yesterday and it doesn't have anything after the end time of the show in vlc. I believe i either added 5 or 10 minutes.

I will check on another event tonight.

jbahlman@gmail.com

So it looks like the issues is if you create a recurring timer rather than click record this airing and change the settings.
When i saw record more, i thought that was the settings for the recording, but apparently that is setting for recording all the episodes.

So it is broken, but only if you are setting a recurring timer. In my case i just wanted to add some time to this recording.

It seems to me the wording is confusing. If we click the red record button, it should give us the option for either just this episode or all episodes.