XBOX One as DVR device?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Littlejoe
Device ID: 10535F9B

XBOX One as DVR device?

Post by Littlejoe »

Here's the tl:dr version. Original setup = HDHR Extend dual tuner. HTPC running WM, 1TB ext HDD for DVR storage. No issues.
Daughter came home from college with a Firestick and Xbox one. Connect Xbox, downloaded HDHR app, no issues. But update wiped out the free DVR. Pd subscription, no issues.
HTPC has crashed. Mother Board is toast. Daughter moving out and taking Xbox with her. Leaving Firestick. I connected HDD to Xbox for now and downloaded Media Player to watch DVR recordings. Is there a way to make the DVR service record to the ext. HDD connected to the Xbox, or will that take a pc back in the system?
Finally, if that's not going to work. Will the new Scribe with built in DVR and 1TB HDD work by itself with just the firestick? It doesn't need a ext. pc to run the software correct?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: XBOX One as DVR device?

Post by NedS »

I don't believe it's possible to run an always-on server/service-like application on the Xbox One. When the app no longer has focus, it is suspended, and possibly closed for additional resources, if I recall correctly.

A SCRIBE by itself (or the EXTEND + SERVIO will work, as well) with just the Fire TV stick. No extra PC is required in that setup.

Littlejoe
Device ID: 10535F9B

Re: XBOX One as DVR device?

Post by Littlejoe »

Thanks Ned! That Servio is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I've perused your website for several days now and I never saw that product. It needs to be promoted more! I don't really need 4 tuners...and so far, there is nothing wrong with my Extend. This will streamline my setup greatly! thanks again!