Fire TV cube app dies with some shows

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
EricP

Fire TV cube app dies with some shows

Post by EricP »

My setup has been pretty solid for ages but I have at least 2 recent recordings that I can't watch successfully.
Fast forward seems to be a trigger, although it's not always immediate.
Last test was on a freshly rebooted TV cube, within a few minutes of watching, skipping forward here and there.

When I restart the app, it does not "remember" how much was watched so it restarts from the beginning :(
It's rough when you've already seen the first half of the show. I believe I could skip to the right place on another device but that's an ugly workaround.

Fire TV Cube: Fire OS 6.2.8.0, Home 6311085.1
HDHR: 20210514 (app), 20210611c (UI)

I recently updated my recording PC with a 20210301 installer but I don't think it matters (no issues with the same shows on a PC apparently) and I'm pretty sure it happened with the prior version too (which is why I upgraded).

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Fire TV cube app dies with some shows

Post by nickk »

The first thing is to upgrade to the latest app release (20210607).

If you are up for side-loading you can download it here:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... ndroid.apk

I am not sure it is in the Amazon App store yet - I will check the status. Amazon is the slowest of the major app stores to approve new app releases.

Nick

EricP

Post by EricP »

Hi,
My Cube is set to auto-update and opening the app in the store indicates I have the latest version available.
I'm a noob wrt sideloading. I guess I'm going to be patient. It can't take much longer.
I'll check the version here and there and attempt to repro, and report if I still have the issue.

EricP

Post by EricP »

Well, as of today, the app had auto-updated (to 20210607).
It took a little more effort this time but I made the app crash within ~10 minutes.
Something else caught my eye as I was trying to repro (but I'll have to double-check and compare to other recordings): the display of the recording's name (and menu at the bottom) lagged more than usual after 'fast forward' operations, sometimes over a second. I now wonder if things start to overlap...

Anyway, what do I need to do now?

EricP

Post by EricP »

Hi,
What are the next steps now that I can repro on the latest version (20210607)?
Thanks

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

EricP wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:56 pm What are the next steps now that I can repro on the latest version (20210607)?
We have not been able to reproduce a problem. What are the steps to reproduce?

EricP

Post by EricP »

I only have this problem with 2 recordings (out of all the ones I've been watching lately).
Both of them were recorded off of CNN.
It first happened with: "What's going on - Marvin Gaye's Anthem for the ages" and it happens pretty consistently, down to the point where I've never seen the end of the show from the cube.

The first time it happened, my SO just skipped through the commercials. App popped.
Relaunched and tried to get back to where she was (again, progress is not tracked), and the app popped again before she got there. She gave up.
When I try, all it takes are batches of 'fast forward' ops (I usually press 5-6 times quickly for ~3 minutes, then iterate to the end). Last couple times I tried, I got a repro within 10 minutes.
Since I've seen the beginning of the show a few times now, I just randomly skip a few times...

I have the recording but it's a few GB.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Can you try uploading the recording to a drive site like Google Drive or Dropbox and sending me a PM with the share link. I will try to watch here.

Nick

EricP

Post by EricP »

Done, a few days back.