Windows 10 Live Playback Issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ppasteur

Re: Windows 10 Live Playback Issue

Post by ppasteur »

@NedS,
I am still getting the errors "most" of the time on my Win 10 desktop. Often I have to clear the error numerous times and/or restart the program to finally get to where I can watch live TV. On some occasions the client just goes to a black screen with "Unable to play channels:" in bold white print on the screen.
The latest ones are MF_Media_Engine_ERR_DECODE:HRESULT - 0XC00D3E84
Just for reference.
It would be good to get some attention for this. It has been going on for a long time and, obviously, effecting many people. You posted about a month ago that you were going to ask the question to someone for escalation and troubleshooting recommendations.

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

ppasteur wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:44 pm @NedS,
I am still getting the errors "most" of the time on my Win 10 desktop. Often I have to clear the error numerous times and/or restart the program to finally get to where I can watch live TV. On some occasions the client just goes to a black screen with "Unable to play channels:" in bold white print on the screen.
The latest ones are MF_Media_Engine_ERR_DECODE:HRESULT - 0XC00D3E84
Just for reference.
It would be good to get some attention for this. It has been going on for a long time and, obviously, effecting many people. You posted about a month ago that you were going to ask the question to someone for escalation and troubleshooting recommendations.

Thanks
It's not the same issue affecting everyone. The media engine error codes can be caused by many different things. In your case, that error (0XC00D3E84) basically means that the video stream ended unexpectedly, which might be a networking issue. It's not specific enough to really know where it is, so unfortunately it will take a bit of detective work to figure out why that video data is getting interrupted on the network. The first thing to test will be a packet loss test: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... acket_loss

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

@NedS
I did the test for all three of my HDHRs. I let it run for 5 full lines. I got nothing but dots "."
Something else I can try?

I think this could be a problem with he client talking to my HDHR record machine. This one is the application on my Synology NAS. When running the low level packet loss I noticed that one of my tuners was locked by the IP of the Synology. So is the flow this:
I select a channels, the HDHR Record application starts alive record session, the client plays the channel from the HDHR record stream, not from the tuner directly??
If so, is there a test for this connectivity.
I can ping to and from the NAS for long periods with no loss. iPERF shows no loss problems and gigabit speed.
Note, often this client will not see the recordings on the NAS, but will show recordings on my other two Shield based HDHR record instances. What is nuts is the NAS and this client are both wired into the same gigabit switch. The other two are on WiFi links.

Any suggestions on next steps are very welcome .
Last edited by ppasteur on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

I was experiencing similar issues. I have Dell workstations and AlienWare workstations. Both are running "Win 10 20H2".

I remember reading a post about Intel and NVidia Drivers affecting the playback. I reviewed "Tinkerguy" comments dated Feb 11, 2021 and decided to go down the driver road.

My system does have an onboard Intel UHD Graphics 630 chip set, which I do not use.
My primary used video card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
There did appear to be a discrepancy with the Windows Update currently installed video drivers versus the latest drivers from the manufacturers.

I manually forced an Intel and an NVIDIA driver set update.
Intel, the latest deiver set is now "27.20.100.8935".
NVIDIA, the latest driver set is now "27.21.14.6140".

After a reboot, lo and behold that resolved the Windows 10 error issues I was having in the HD Viewer.

I hope you can figure out your issue.

ppasteur

Post by ppasteur »

Thanks for the driver suggestion. This machine has only one video card. It is an ATI card, I have updated these drivers several times since I started having this problem. I am running the latest Beta now, but driver updates have had no impact for me.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

focker1

Post by focker1 »

Thought I would offer what finally worked for me.

After getting the same "MF_Media_Engine_ERR_DECODE" errors I tried the normal steps:
- update Windows 10 - failed
- update Silicon Dust tuner and software - failed
- uninstall and reinstall software - failed

On my configuration, recordings are stored on an external USB 2TB drive. As a test, I change the recording path to my local drive, restarted everything, and the errors stopped on the live TV. Did a quick test record and that also worked. Let it run through the evening and all other recordings worked. Figured something must have corrupted the USB drive so reformatted it. Moved the DVR recording path back to the USB drive and have not had an error since.

Hopefully this will work for others...this was a very frustrating problem.