HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
2000cam

HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Post by 2000cam »

I am now having choppy and distorted playback of recorded DVR content from my HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO. Blocky/frozen playback, skipping audio and the like. It happens on every Roku in my house. I have both wired and wireless Roku boxes in a variety of flavors. The HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO is wired. This happens with both new and previously recorded content in every resolution. If I use the HDHomerun app on wired Windows or wireless Android tablet the playback is flawless for the same content.

Something has changed with HDHomerun app on Roku and HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO dvr playback.

HDHomerun app

Ver 55.0 build 20200504

HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Hardware Model HDVR-4US-1TB
Firmware Version 20210227

Roku's

2020 Ultra

2019 Ultra

Hisense 50R6+

Streaming Stick Plus

Anyone else seeing this?

jwn

Re: HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Post by jwn »

Mine is doing the same thing. I wrote the support team a couple of months ago and they said that they were working on it but nothing yet. It supposedly has to do with the current Roku OS. I guess it worked okay before but not after. They also explained that it has to do with the proprietary nature of the Roku player which they use. If you search back through the forums there are other mentions of the problem at least a couple of months before my contact with the support team. but it now has been a while and still no solution.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

I have put in support requests at both Roku and SiliconDust. Both companies blame the other. Just kills me that neither are interested, but a least new users will be able to know all the problems.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

2000cam wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:34 pm I have put in support requests at both Roku and SiliconDust. Both companies blame the other. Just kills me that neither are interested, but a least new users will be able to know all the problems.
We are working on the problem, but we are doing so in the dark. It's basically a trial-and-error method, because Roku does not provide us any access to their video player diagnostics.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

Is there anything we can do to help? Can we make a request at Roku? Who would Roku contact to help you out?

Dougsteron

Post by Dougsteron »

I reported this issue in November 2020. It started to occur after all my Roku devices updated to the latest Roku version. Here is the response from Silicon Support in November 2020. I also reported this to the Roku Forums but they never did anything to fix the issue. Very frustrating!

============
Yes, something in the 9.4 update is causing an issue for many customers. It will likely require another update from Roku to fix, as it appears to be specific to how the Roku video player handles MPEG2 video content. Streaming services don't use MPEG2, so it's understandable that Roku didn't know about this before hand, and it should be a fairly easy fix for them. We are pursuing the issue with them to try and expedite the matter.
- Silicondust Support

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

This choppy video DVR playback is still an issue.

Anyone find a way to fix it? :x

Dougsteron

Post by Dougsteron »

I am hoping Roku will fix the issue in a new Roku update. I can't get anybody at Roku to provide any information though.

jwn

Post by jwn »

Just got OS10 build 4177 from Roku and it's still not fixed at least in the OS update itself although maybe the rules changed with this update and HD Homerun can now add it's own player for the Roku app.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

From what I saw in the release notes, unfortunately those rules are still in place. The main "new" thing for developers is finally giving them the ability to offer instant resume.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

jwn wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:28 pm Just got OS10 build 4177 from Roku and it's still not fixed at least in the OS update itself although maybe the rules changed with this update and HD Homerun can now add it's own player for the Roku app.
That's disheartening, but thank you for the update. We'll keep trying to get Roku's attention on these matters.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

I keep getting feedback on this that there is nothing that can be done. It gets blamed on Roku.

They say that Roku is too secretive about how to code.

But this has to be happening to ALL Roku users with HD Homerun DVR.

You would think there would be a louder uproar. DVR is them reason I bought this device and it worked before. Just not for the past year.
:evil:

lynnemac

Post by lynnemac »

well I apologize for my post. With the hdhomerun updates, wd upgrade and Fire Tv update I blamed one of them. I disconnect everything for 5 minutes and then gradually reconnected them and all is now good. I was just surprised it only had to be done on both my FTV cubes.

PhilJSmith67

Post by PhilJSmith67 »

This is happening for me since December 2020 with my HDHR5-4K-DEV. On every subchannel the audio doesn't play at first, then continuously alternates between chunks of silence and sped-up audio indefinitely, as if when it plays bits of audio, it's extremely fast to "catch up" after each chunk of silence. Two subchannels in Chicago (WMEU-CD 48.2 and 48.4) are running AVC encoding and those channels are also affected the same way. Video plays fine on every subchannel regardless of resolution. I've fully cycled power on my tuner, Rokus, and network switch. I have brand new 4K Roku and old Roku 2 devices, some on WiFi and some wired, and they all play exactly the same way. All have been updated to the latest available software.