HDhomerun and DVR playback has choppy video and audio - Fire TV

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
azghul

HDhomerun and DVR playback has choppy video and audio - Fire TV

Post by azghul »

I started experiencing the same with my FireTV devices after upgrading to the latest version 20210303beta1.

The recorded shows are fine, I can play them through my PC and Plex media server without any issues.

2000cam

Re: HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Post by 2000cam »

Yes, that is the issue. The files are stored correctly on the HD Homerun DVR. They play fine on a PC.

There is something funky with the App that SiliconDust creates for the Roku and now Fire platform that makes the playback track incorrectly. They have mentioned roadblocks that Roku puts in place with coding and players but I don't know how that would cause it to work fine before and mess up now.

Again, disappointing. Seems like they should be getting plenty of feedback.
:x

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDhomerun and DVR playback has choppy video and audio - Fire TV

Post by NedS »

Split into a new topic. If you are also seeing an issue on the Fire TV then that will be a separate issue to what happens on Roku. Simply put, on Roku we don't have a real app. No one does. We can make an interface, but all that interface can do is tell the Roku media player to "play this file", be it a live stream or a recording. The Roku media player is the real engine of the whole thing, and every app has to use the same one. On other platforms like Fire TV, we have our own media player, our own engine, that we can analyze, tweak, and improve upon.

Other apps work a lot better because they actually control the video content going into the Roku media player. So instead of trying to get the Roku media player to work with different types of files, they have the ability to force all videos to be the same Roku-friendly type, with audio and video encodings that are known to work very well with the Roku media player. We can't do that because we don't control the video content. Your local broadcaster does. The HDHomeRun just pushes around ones and zeros, and doesn't do any video conversion or transcoding.

We do get lots of feedback about the Roku issue. DVR playback is broken on the entire Roku platform. It's just not something we can really do anything about. We have some long-shot ideas about how to trick the media player into working correctly, by manipulating how the data is presented (not changing the format, but changing how it is transmitted), but we're working in the dark (trial and error) on that solution, so it will take considerable time. If Roku could help us troubleshoot the issue, even just shed some light on the process, it would go a lot faster. And if Roku actually fixed their media player to handle more common broadcast formats, there wouldn't be an issue in the first place.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

With that out of the way, let's look at the Fire TV issue in this new thread. What model of Fire TV devices are you seeing this issue on?

lynnemac

Post by lynnemac »

I am having issue on both first gen and second gen Fire TV cubes running the 20210216 app and 20210413 (UI) beta. The non HD channels play fine but HD channels are unwatchable as well as DVR playback. Everything is fine on my fire TV sticks. I have tried the beta 02210227 apk and it is no better. It all started when I had to update software on my WD mycloudEx2. on my.hdhomerun shows Both Prime units and record as 20210404beta1 which I downloaded to see if it would correct the video/audio issues on my Cubes. But nothing changed and in the settings on the app it says 20210413 (UI) beta. I thought this would be the same as the version shown on my.hdhomerun. The 2nd get cube is my main family room tv and is unwatchable. I tried to reset the cube to factory settings and sis not help either. What can be done?

lynnemac

Post by lynnemac »

This is still a big issue with my FireTV Cubes Is anyone else experiencing audio issues and picture flashing. Then it will sometimes it will end the stream.