Pixelatiop and Audio issues after Feb 2020 firmware

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Pixelatiop and Audio issues after Feb 2020 firmware

Post by NedS »

dkrom wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:31 pm I see audio issues and firmware update. I am experiencing issues too after the firmware update. All of my audio is delayed from the video feed. It does this on the app on my iPhone, on VLC on a laptop and on desktop, on Windows Media Center recordings, on my Channels App on AppleTV, even the DLNA (or whatever it is) direct through my Samsung tv without any audio equipment hooked up - everything that I use has the same annoying delay that was not there before the firmware update. Watching The Flash last night was torture - lips move, then hear the sound.

Wish I could downgrade and will never again update if this issue is ever fixed. Very disappointed & disappointed that my post really hasn’t been addressed.
Firmware updates won't realistically have an impact on audio-sync. Poor signal that is right on the edge of coming in can exacerbate an issue, as can networking issues, but even then, a/v sync problems are typically a playback issue with the specific software. Broadcasters can also do weird things that can potentially complicate a/v sync, occasionally doing something by mistake or not strictly within broadcasting spec, so that's another factor. Even then, that's something we try to address with the playback software. Even if you see the issue on different devices, and sometimes different apps, it might still be the software. A lot of apps/platforms share code, or use similar playback philosophies (for a lack of a better term, as I'm not a software coder myself).

The actual HDHomeRun device is "just" pushing ones and zeros around (which is oversimplifying it, but fairly accurate).

gwtx
Device ID: 1313798B

Post by gwtx »

nickk wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:07 am Clarification - the HDHomeRun app for Windows 7/8 does not use VLC and does not use system codecs for MPEG2/AC3.

Nick
I had to install VLC to get sound on Windows 7, From SD support page
HDHomeRun app - no audio on Windows 7

The audio decoder included with Windows 7 has limited functionality when used outside of Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player.
The HDHomeRun app will utilize decoders from VLC if it is installed on the PC, and that typically provides better results.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

dkrom wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:31 pm I see audio issues and firmware update. I am experiencing issues too after the firmware update. All of my audio is delayed from the video feed. It does this on the app on my iPhone, on VLC on a laptop and on desktop, on Windows Media Center recordings, on my Channels App on AppleTV, even the DLNA (or whatever it is) direct through my Samsung tv without any audio equipment hooked up - everything that I use has the same annoying delay that was not there before the firmware update. Watching The Flash last night was torture - lips move, then hear the sound.

Wish I could downgrade and will never again update if this issue is ever fixed. Very disappointed & disappointed that my post really hasn’t been addressed.
The firmware is not involved with audio/video sync. The firmware sends an audio track to the client and sends a video track to the client. It is the client that decodes the audio, decodes the video, then synchronizes them.

Nick

gwtx
Device ID: 1313798B

Post by gwtx »

The firmware is not involved with audio/video sync. The firmware sends an audio track to the client and sends a video track to the client. It is the client that decodes the audio, decodes the video, then synchronizes them.

Nick
Either way, didn't have a problem for years beforehand, after firmware update, no other changes, it started having pixelation on HD channels that evening for homerun view