Can't play 4K/HDR HDHR Prime Recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ACraigo
Device ID: 1062E8EE

Re: Can't play 4K/HDR HDHR Prime Recording

Postby ACraigo » Wed May 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Heh. I'm personally not totally convinced HEVC is even the definite codec of the future. The licensing scheme under it is terrible compared to h264. I'm sure we'll get to 4k eventually, but I think we've still got some pretty good years out of mpeg2 and h264 left.
'Specially when you consider at my age I have trouble seeing the difference in 720/1080 - 4K better come with a Cleaning Woman or I just won't need it.

lol

JerryB

Postby JerryB » Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm

On further testing, VLC has proven to be inconsistent. At times, the video freezes while the audio continues. Windows Media Player appears to be the most reliable for playback of the original HDHR "mpg" container version of the file on my computer. Of course, none of the computer playbacks compare to Plex playback of the converted 4K/HDR mkv version of the file on my TV.

In any event, you can continue to work on this or drop it as you see fit. For now, I have a useable version of this recording and am willing to wait until the next 4K QAM broadcast so see if this is an isolated incident or a consistent problem with how my cable provider (Verizon FIOS) handles these 4K QAM broadcasts.

gtb
Expert

Postby gtb » Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm personally not totally convinced HEVC is even the definite codec of the future.
That (future codec) is currently believed to likely be AV1 (well, if we ignore 8K (and 16K?) and VR, where AV1 has issues), however for low power devices that is going to require hardware vendors add AV1 decoders to their VPUs. Until then, HEVC is the de-facto "winner" because it got a five+ year head start and got added to the hardware VPUs.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”