Is setting padding length working in latest ver?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Bobstr

Is setting padding length working in latest ver?

Postby Bobstr » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:39 pm

After two weeks of trying to watch recorded NFL games and having the recording cut off before the game ended because they ran long - I'm frustrated. I cannot seem to be able to change the early start or the extra time padding times from the default. Is this a known issue, or am I running into a 'me only' problem?

The list is there, but it will not let me select a number from the list.

I'm running with the latest released version installed (I've got previews enabled or whatever it's called in the client under the hamburger button).

signcarver
Expert

Re: Is setting padding length working in latest ver?

Postby signcarver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:43 pm

what client and platform? Some have had issues with clicks vs keyboard.

did you define multiple rules for nfl (i.e. multiple teams, individual one off recordings, etc)

There is no "default" to define (always 30s) as each rule has its own padding settings.

GetMatt

Postby GetMatt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:34 pm

what client and platform? Some have had issues with clicks vs keyboard.

did you define multiple rules for nfl (i.e. multiple teams, individual one off recordings, etc)

There is no "default" to define (always 30s) as each rule has its own padding settings.
The one caveat that I’ve seen is where you have a task (e.g. Seahawks NFL games) if you then record one off NFL games it will is the same padding as the series.

Bobstr

Postby Bobstr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks guys.

Platform: Windows 10, I'm not at home, so I can't check, but the SD versions are the latest released for the record engine and client (with the client having the 'early adopter' choice selected). By default, I meant the default setting that comes when you set up a task (i.e.: 30 seconds post recording padding).

I have just one task to record just Seahawks games, I don't have any other NFL tasks.

The installation in question is the PC I use to watch TV in my living room. However, last night I did notice that I can change the padding length on the PC in my home office (Windows 10, same versions of SD). It may be a keyboard v. remote control 'click' issue. I used the keyboard in my office, the remote in the living room). When I get home tonight, I will check the living room PC to see how it behaves using a keyboard instead of the remote to change padding length.

And yes - It was missing the end of both of the last two Seahawks games because of the padding length being too short that brought this to my attention.

nateb
Silicondust

Postby nateb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:02 pm

Out of curiosity, how long do you personally like to set padding for an NFL game?

Bobstr

Postby Bobstr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 pm

Out of curiosity, how long do you personally like to set padding for an NFL game?
When I was using Windows Media Center, I always set it for at least 1 hour. Games often run long and there's nothing more frustrating than watching a good close game and then 'bang' - the recording ends with just a couple of minutes left on the clock...

I do remember setting at 1 hour in this software, before I had to re-install (record engine and clients) in an attempt to fix that no tuners or record engine show up in myhomerun… Still haven't found the fix for that and I appear to have somehow had it return to the 30 second default.

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:27 pm

in an attempt to fix that no tuners or record engine show up in myhomerun… Still haven't found the fix for that
Hey Bobstr, what browser are you using? I know when I use IE, I get No HDHomeRun detected and No HDHomeRun DVR detected. With Edge I get only the record engine. But, if I use Chrome, everything works fine.

Bobstr

Postby Bobstr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Using the Keyboard rather than the remote to execute on a paging length change worked. I'll assume that not being able to do so with the remote is a bug that needs resolved.

Bobstr

Postby Bobstr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:47 pm

in an attempt to fix that no tuners or record engine show up in myhomerun… Still haven't found the fix for that
Hey Bobstr, what browser are you using? I know when I use IE, I get No HDHomeRun detected and No HDHomeRun DVR detected. With Edge I get only the record engine. But, if I use Chrome, everything works fine.
Hey Jeff. I used IE in my attempts to get myhdhomerun to work. I'll have to install chrome and give it a try.

JeffRand

Postby JeffRand » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:25 am

Hey Jeff. I used IE in my attempts to get myhdhomerun to work. I'll have to install chrome and give it a try.
That will fix it for you. You would think Silicon Dust would fix their web page to detect and warn users to use another browser, just to avoid having end users getting confused and think that something isn't working when it is. I have seen people report this issue over and over, yet SD doesn't seem concerned. Reminds me of some guys at work that live in the Linux/Solaris world. They act like Windows (and it's browsers) don't even exist. I have to remind them that people do use IE and Edge. Ha Ha. With Microsoft moving to Chromium for Edge, things might get better.

Bobstr

Postby Bobstr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am

That will fix it for you. You would think Silicon Dust would fix their web page to detect and warn users to use another browser, just to avoid having end users getting confused and think that something isn't working when it is. I have seen people report this issue over and over, yet SD doesn't seem concerned. Reminds me of some guys at work that live in the Linux/Solaris world. They act like Windows (and it's browsers) don't even exist. I have to remind them that people do use IE and Edge. Ha Ha. With Microsoft moving to Chromium for Edge, things might get better.
Using my android phone (with its native version of the chrome browser), I am able to get myhdhomerun to work perfectly.

In my case, SD goes provide warning that myhdhomerun won't work with Edge, but they should provide notice that it no longer works with IE (it used to, and the SD guys who post here have guided people to use it).

Having something as simple as this not work on IE is pretty lame. It may be something like the Linux centric arrogance that you described, but even then, it's foolish.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”