Live TV problems - stutters/freezes/timeout errors

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
asauers

Re: Live TV problems - stutters/freezes/timeout errors

Postby asauers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:38 am

If you haven't yet, check out the Network Packet Loss post. The 2nd post on that thread provides a quick and easy way to determine if you're experiencing low-level packet loss. If confirmed then the 1st post provides a number of ways to determine the source and try to fix it.

I used this to diagnose a slowly failing switch, and at another point discovered I couldn't use my DVR server to do GPU mining either :)
I have run the test and am experiencing network packet loss according to jasonl. I just don't know why. both the shield and nexus player are experiencing the same issue with only a (brand new) switch between them and the prime. the switch was only added to rule out the router.

wtg

Postby wtg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:44 am

You just reminded me of another problem I had when I first setup the prime... the network wiring i had only supported 100Mb and I tried using two gigibit switches.

While the switches both seemed to operate ok, and I didn't notice problems with normal network traffic, running at gigabit speed over cat 5 wire resulted in packet loss and my recordings were glitchy. Eventually I replaced one of the gigabit switches with a 100Mb switch - to ensure the communication never attempted gigabit speeds - and the packet loss went away completely.

paulpoli

Postby paulpoli » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:54 am

If you haven't yet, check out the Network Packet Loss post. The 2nd post on that thread provides a quick and easy way to determine if you're experiencing low-level packet loss. If confirmed then the 1st post provides a number of ways to determine the source and try to fix it.

I used this to diagnose a slowly failing switch, and at another point discovered I couldn't use my DVR server to do GPU mining either :)
Thank you for pointing this out... Right now I'm not getting any loss indicators but will wait and try again when/if it acts up again.

Something else I just tried... I use Synology as the home for the DVR, I just upgraded the system to use Link Aggregation, thinking that maybe it was a throughput on the NAS with caching live tv?

asauers

Postby asauers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:18 pm

You just reminded me of another problem I had when I first setup the prime... the network wiring i had only supported 100Mb and I tried using two gigibit switches.

While the switches both seemed to operate ok, and I didn't notice problems with normal network traffic, running at gigabit speed over cat 5 wire resulted in packet loss and my recordings were glitchy. Eventually I replaced one of the gigabit switches with a 100Mb switch - to ensure the communication never attempted gigabit speeds - and the packet loss went away completely.
something good to check but i am using cat6 cables. my setup has been the same for nearly a year (when i added the router) and has been working fine up until a month or so ago. no changes...it just appeared out of nowhere. maybe it's comcast?

wtg

Postby wtg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 pm

something good to check but i am using cat6 cables. my setup has been the same for nearly a year (when i added the router) and has been working fine up until a month or so ago. no changes...it just appeared out of nowhere. maybe it's comcast?
If you're having packet loss it's a problem with the switch/router, network cable, nic or the network card settings or the Prime itself. It sounds like you've bypassed the router with a switch so that should be good. It's not comcast. There are lots of settings documented as causing trouble in the Network Packet Loss thread I linked above, and those things can get reset when drivers are updated. If you haven't checked those options, you definitely should. A Comcast issue wouldn't cause packet loss inside your home network.

SpencerC

Postby SpencerC » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:05 pm

I was having freezing and stuttering issues a while back. To resolve it, I excluded the HDHomeRun installation directory and the recording directory from being scanned by my anti-virus.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”