MiBox3 still bricked since Oreo update

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Lessmore

MiBox3 still bricked since Oreo update

Postby Lessmore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm

So I just did a factory reset on my Mi Box 3. Reinstalled HDHR View and Kodi.

This is strange. My HDHR Prime is connected to a Comcast cable card. The "local" channels (network affiliates) are streaming just fine. But the cable stations, like CNN, are not. On cable channels, video freezes and lags and can't keep up with the audio.

The Mi Box worked fine until the Oreo update. An AX9 Android TV box sitting next to the Mi Box streams video with no problems from the HDHR Prime. Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it?

foxbat121

Re: MiBox3 still bricked since Oreo update

Postby foxbat121 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:17 pm

Some ppl reported issues with wifi connection after all the Oreo updates. Mine works just fine. But I always use the USB Ethernet adapter. Never trust wireless

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Some ppl reported issues with wifi connection after all the Oreo updates. Mine works just fine. But I always use the USB Ethernet adapter. Never trust wireless
Thanks, but a wired connection isn't an option for this location. Like I said, it worked fine before.

rjbu

Postby rjbu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks, but a wired connection isn't an option for this location. Like I said, it worked fine before.
Maybe you could use a powerline adapter to get a wired Ethernet connection in that location?
https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/ ... -adapters/

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 am

Then, that's to bad. The poor wireless performance after Oreo update is a well publicised issue. Your only choice is buy a different box. XiaoMi released a few updates but for those have this problem, it does not seem to fix them.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 am

Then, that's too bad. The poor wireless performance after Oreo update is a well publicised issue. Your only choice is buy a different box. XiaoMi released a few updates but for those have this problem, it does not seem to fix them.

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:07 am

I saw someone in another recent thread complaining about the same frame-dropping picture-freezing problem. He said he'd tried an adapter and wired-ethernet connection and it didn't fix it.

Well, the Mi Box 3 is unplugged now. It's replaced with the Amazon Fire Stick I bought last year on Black Friday. I set up Kodi on the Fire Stick last night and it's streaming TV from my HDHR Prime like a champ. No problems at all.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Even though my Mibox 3 doesn't suffer from this problem at all, it does suffer from another common problem of Oreo update: it never wake up from sleep mode. The only way to wake it up is to pull the power plug and reboot.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:51 pm

...either of those issues above is called a 'Bricking' in my neighborhood... one real and one 'as good as'.

;)

groundhog22

Postby groundhog22 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:47 am

... another common problem of Oreo update: it never wake up from sleep mode. The only way to wake it up is to pull the power plug and reboot.
We also have the "fail to turn on" issue on one of our MiBox3 after sitting dormant for a long time. We can hear a faint popping over the directly connected speakers with any button press which indicates the Mi can "hear" the remote, but does not seem to know what to do.

Our work around when this happens is to do a re-pair of the remote (press-hold home and back very near the Mi until it beeps) and then the Mi wakes right with the next press so we don't have to do a plug-pull and wait for boot.

Update: Today (next day), even this trick would not work and had to do a hard power cycle...
Last edited by groundhog22 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jseymour

Postby jseymour » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 am

...either of those issues above is called a 'Bricking' in my neighborhood... one real and one 'as good as'.

;)
Weird neighbourhood you have, there :). "Bricking" is "It's dead, Jim." Unresponsive other than perhaps a boot splash or message. Something that has essentially become as useful as a brick.

The poor performance of many (most?) MiBox 3's since the Oreo update is just plain poor performance. That may be effectively "as good as" for some people, but it's still not "bricking." While some users have bricked their devices installing the update, most have bricked them either trying to back out to Marshmallow or Nougat (the latter of which never got out of Beta test), or installing subsequent updates that were not yet officially released.

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:12 am

Weird neighbourhood you have, there :). "Bricking" is "It's dead, Jim."
If I have to yank the plug out of the wall to reboot it when I need to use my streamer - "It's Dead, Jim".
(currently that's how I have to 'reboot' my Connect - just not every time I use it)

lol

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:49 am

If the poor performance is so bad I replaced it with a Fire Stick, I'd say that counts as a brick.

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:08 pm

;)
While some users have bricked their devices installing the update, most have bricked them either trying to back out to Marshmallow or Nougat (the latter of which never got out of Beta test), or installing subsequent updates that were not yet officially released.
I agree. I bought a unit from Walmart the week after the Oreo release, and it updated after initial setup and has had no issues. However I had to help a relative after he had major issues with wifi disconnecting.

I found build 2179, flashed it into the device, then performed a factory refresh. No more issues.

EDIT; I do also agree that this device has performance issues that have never been resolved, but are too numerous to list/explain. However, concerning Wifi, after flashing 2179, and performing reset, it will help to investigate your wifi router settings, check wifi interference if your router has these settings, and try different wifi channel settings.

These steps shouldn't be necessary, as they aren't for any other device, but, they will help to get you from having a paperweight to having a useful device.

Lessmore

Postby Lessmore » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:26 pm

;)
While some users have bricked their devices installing the update, most have bricked them either trying to back out to Marshmallow or Nougat (the latter of which never got out of Beta test), or installing subsequent updates that were not yet officially released.
I agree. I bought a unit from Walmart the week after the Oreo release, and it updated after initial setup and has had no issues. However I had to help a relative after he had major issues with wifi disconnecting.

I found build 2179, flashed it into the device, then performed a factory refresh. No more issues.

EDIT; I do also agree that this device has performance issues that have never been resolved, but are too numerous to list/explain. However, concerning Wifi, after flashing 2179, and performing reset, it will help to investigate your wifi router settings, check wifi interference if your router has these settings, and try different wifi channel settings.

These steps shouldn't be necessary, as they aren't for any other device, but, they will help to get you from having a paperweight to having a useful device.
I bought a new router hoping that might fix my Mi Box. It didn't. I thought maybe the issue was a broken driver. I hoped an update would fix it. But I've given up hope.

Nonetheless, thank you to all on this forum who tried to help me solve this. I appreciate your input and insights.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”