How do I... get a program to show...

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
HDHRBevo

Re: How do I... get a program to show...

Postby HDHRBevo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:18 pm

Thanks ACraigo & NYPlayer. You both have given me considerable food for thought. I greatly appreciate you time and insight on my issues.

My situation is fairly straight forward. I have a Win 10 HTPC/DVR that records OTA (only). Most are sent through MCEBuddy over night to reformat to H264 and playback (embedded subtitles are a must have) on another day. That works ok, for the most part. My issues arise when trying to use the HDHR app to view programs while they are being recorded (i.e. Football) AND using a IR remote control to do the skips. I have tried (native) KODI, and have some IR issues with that as well, mainly as it gets close to the end of the recording the FWD seems to work, but when you press the Play button it goes back to where I started the FWD. I know KODI is very customizable but have no idea if there is a way to improve that experience. Any other players I should be looking at?

Thanks
Gary

elabra

Postby elabra » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:57 am

I put all my files into folders with the year and season using mcebuddy so that Plex Kodi and EMBY can pick them up correctly. Example below so I have to refresh the DVR. Helps with MacGyver and other TV reboots.

\\MYCLOUDPR4100\Public\HDHomeRun\Archived\MyTVShows\Shark Tank (2009)\Season 10\Shark Tank S10E01 20181007 20181008-0500.mpg
Good tip. Thanks. So, are you saying you use the other (3) apps for playback and not the HDHR app? Mind if I ask why you don't use the HDHR? I am having freeze issues with my IR Remote (see viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69842), to the point of not being able to use the HDHR app for playback of Football games. Seems to work fine for other recorded programs that have commercials removed and I don't have to do the problematic skips.

Thanks
Gary

HDHomeRun DVR does all my recordings … EMBY server is used to serve the recordings. … KODI with EMBYCON addon to view recordings.

+1

Great DVR system but for playback the interface does not pass the wife approval factor yet. I do similarly & use MCE BUddy to strip out commercials but use PLEX for playback because it is easy for my wife to use, allows remote playback of all my recordings and it runs on everything including Roku's which I often take with me on vacation to watch my shows when I'm bored.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:24 am

Great DVR system but for playback the interface does not pass the wife approval factor yet. I do similarly & use MCE BUddy to strip out commercials but use PLEX for playback because it is easy for my wife to use, allows remote playback of all my recordings and it runs on everything including Roku's which I often take with me on vacation to watch my shows when I'm bored.
Thanks elabra for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I tried Plex earlier this year, and if memory :oops: serves me correctly the fatal flaw was their support for subtitles (mandatory for this ol' man's ears). Guess it could have been the format from MCEBuddy I was using :?: I'm using H264 now, but not sure that's what I was using then. What format are you using, and do you know if Plex is capable of showing the network embedded subtitles?

Thanks
Gary

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks elabra for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I tried Plex earlier this year, and if memory :oops: serves me correctly the fatal flaw was their support for subtitles (mandatory for this ol' man's ears). Guess it could have been the format from MCEBuddy I was using :?: I'm using H264 now, but not sure that's what I was using then. What format are you using, and do you know if Plex is capable of showing the network embedded subtitles?

Thanks
Gary
Here is what happens when you use MCEBuddy and set it to include the available subs with the stream - and how Plexweb reacts:

I don't use Plexweb often, opting for PMP instead, and there's probably a way to fiddle with the subs and how they display, but the subs are included in the stream and MCEBuddy can embed them into an MKV.

Funny, but not Ha,Ha funny...:
Audio Unknown
Sub Language Unknown
Interlacing Artifacts on Progressive Scans

SD apparently doesn't mind showing the world just how new they are to all of this, but yes, the subs will work out of Plex. Here's the bad news: The subs aren't formatted in UTF-8 (text based), so Plex will most likely need to transcode them into the video stream. That will take some Plex Server CPU Horsepower. Also there's a bug (surprised?) in PMP and it won't display this sub format at all. They do display in Plexweb and my Roku and FireTV Plex Apps - with the Plex Server transcoding the non-compliant subs into the video stream.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:27 am

... Here's the bad news: The subs aren't formatted in UTF-8 (text based), so Plex will most likely need to transcode them into the video stream. That will take some Plex Server CPU Horsepower. Also there's a bug (surprised?) in PMP and it won't display this sub format at all. They do display in Plexweb and my Roku and FireTV Plex Apps - with the Plex Server transcoding the non-compliant subs into the video stream.
Wow, thanks much for the excellent explanation and feedback. Very informative. It may have been that I realized the Plex subtitle solution may been more involved than the plug-n-play solution I was looking for and simply moved on. At this point in my life, I am looking for better integrated solutions that don't require a lot of time, headaches, and frustration in getting up and running and to maintain. Unfortunately, it looks like SD is on a path that perpetuates the Headache and frustration part, so just like I was when forced to look for a MS/MCE replacement, I am again in research mode. :( Any way, thanks much for you feedback.

Gary

ACraigo

Postby ACraigo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 am

...Unfortunately, it looks like SD is on a path that perpetuates the Headache and frustration part, so just like I was when forced to look for a MS/MCE replacement, I am again in research mode. :( Any way, thanks much for you feedback.

Gary
Let's hope something changes in the SD part of things...

If you use Plex you should be well versed in the art of The Workaround, without which you won't be using Plex very much.

The good news - if you have a Plex Server that can transcode a video stream - once you set up MCEBuddy to do all the things in your SD-DVR/Plex world, you don't have to fiddle with it and it's all automatic.

The bad news - you have to set it all up. It seems daunting at first, but once you get into it, it's not so bad.

HDHRBevo

Postby HDHRBevo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:37 am

The bad news - you have to set it all up. It seems daunting at first, but once you get into it, it's not so bad.
And in my younger days, no biggie. The biggest problem, once you get it all figured out and setup, updates, feature changes, and HW/SW upgrades MAY cause to to go back to the drawing board again, and again... :( I've been retired for the past 18 years, after over 40 years in the IT business. My (stay-at-home) hobbies are Computers, Home Automation, and Home Theater, so over the course of the last 20 or so years I have literally been there done that, many times with different products (not Plex). It was fun back in the day and a way to stay busy. But some things now days, not so much. In some cases, I'm trying to simplify my lifestyle and be more choosy about which "projects" I take on. :) But I agree and do hope something changes with SD. A little communication about some of these things would go a long way.

Thanks again ACraigo, for the feedback, its helpful knowing that with Plex it can be done.

Gary

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:14 am

You need to instruct MCEBuddy to preserve the medadata at the start of the recording.
<I don't use MCEBuddy so can't tell you exactly how>

Once you preserve the metadata you can successfully move the recordings in/out of the DVR.
Without the metadata the DVR can't figure out what the video is.. and thus won't process it.
Looking at my Android TV SD DVR drive, you can drill down to HDHomerun files, each series has a folder, plus a folder for Live TV, and Movies, followed by log files by date. Is the name and data of the mpg file the metadata required, or do the log files contain any metadata needed ?

Each individual recording follows this format; the series name, "Hunter" followed by series/episode details "S02E12" Followed by possibly air date "19860104" and possibly record date "[20180902-0100]".

Everything is ok with my system, and I can easily move these files off of my HDHomerun drive, but noticed I'm unable to add back files to these folders over SMB, and if I do have an issue will have to manually replace them, so interested in exactly what needs to retained.

Ken.F

Postby Ken.F » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:40 am

Looking at my Android TV SD DVR drive, you can drill down to HDHomerun files, each series has a folder, plus a folder for Live TV, and Movies, followed by log files by date. Is the name and data of the mpg file the metadata required, or do the log files contain any metadata needed ?
The metadata is contained in the first 12032 bytes of the recording file. It doesn't matter what you do to the file name as long as it keeps the .mpg extension. Sometimes the record engine won't be able to find a recording if you change the file name. If that happens a restarting the record engine will fix it.

The log files are there for your convenience in case you need to troubleshoot something. You only need to keep the most current log file in the recording folder. If you don't want them it is safe to delete them.

demonrik

Postby demonrik » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:45 am

Everything is ok with my system, and I can easily move these files off of my HDHomerun drive, but noticed I'm unable to add back files to these folders over SMB, and if I do have an issue will have to manually replace them, so interested in exactly what needs to retained.
Not sure what you mean by unable to add back - can you be more explicit
Unable to write the file over SMB?
Engine doesn't pick up new file?
If latter - was the file modified by something like MCEbuddy?

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 pm

Not sure what you mean by unable to add back - can you be more explicit
Unable to write the file over SMB?
Engine doesn't pick up new file?
If latter - was the file modified by something like MCEbuddy?
Yeah, It is some kind of permission issue with Nvidia Shield, I connect over SMB on my MacBook Pro, and can move files out of the HDHomerun Files to another storage drive, but if I decide to move a file back, even if unchanged, I receive a pop up that I don't have permission. I rarely have a need to move that direction, so I'm not concerned, but was trying to understand exactly where the metadata was,....which I think I understand now.

Thanks

Neptunetides1983

Postby Neptunetides1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:27 pm

The metadata is contained in the first 12032 bytes of the recording file. It doesn't matter what you do to the file name as long as it keeps the .mpg extension. Sometimes the record engine won't be able to find a recording if you change the file name. If that happens a restarting the record engine will fix it.

The log files are there for your convenience in case you need to troubleshoot something. You only need to keep the most current log file in the recording folder. If you don't want them it is safe to delete them.
Ok, I think I understand now.

Appreciate your help.

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”