Three Primes, Channel scans differently

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Three Primes, Channel scans differently

Postby jasonl » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 pm

One thing to check, unplug the power from the cable modem (but leave it connected to the coax) then run another channel scan and see if the missing channels come up on all devices. If you're using a combined modem/router and removing its power would kill your access to the HDHomeRun devices, then instead unplug the modem's coax cable at the splitter and then run the scans.

Diverge

Postby Diverge » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:57 am

I have a similar problem on cablevision, and have had it for years. I sometimes have to do back to back scans on the same prime for it to recognize specific channels that were skipped over.

handyd

Postby handyd » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 am

One thing to check, unplug the power from the cable modem (but leave it connected to the coax) then run another channel scan and see if the missing channels come up on all devices. If you're using a combined modem/router and removing its power would kill your access to the HDHomeRun devices, then instead unplug the modem's coax cable at the splitter and then run the scans.
I have a combo, so I removed the Cable and re scanned. Didn't help

handyd

Postby handyd » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:18 am

Bump

jjm1982

Postby jjm1982 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Diagnostic set up and scanned channels on all three units.

Thanks.
It's very odd, some of the frequencies just aren't locking at certain points, even though the signal levels look OK. What's the cable/amplifier/splitter layout? Are there any other electronic devices in close proximity to the HDHomeRun that might be causing interference on certain frequencies?
The outside cable come into the house into my basement. Where it comes in, I have a 5 tier shelf (about 4' wide and 2' deep). The top shelf I have a cable modem, 8 port switch and the three primes, but they are not located near each other. All 4 devices are attached via a single 4 way splitter. The next tier in the shelf has a small computer (Lenovo Tiny, so it's not big at all) running as a server, some usb hard drives, another 8 port switch, a monitor and a small UPS.

I moved in a year ago. Comcast ran a new line from the outside. About 6 months ago, Comcast then contacted me about about signal issues, so they came on-site, replaced the splitter and all the wires to the primes and modem. They check all the signal level and everything was normal.
This may be what you're experiencing if you're using Cisco NDS cable cards.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69319#p327334

handyd

Postby handyd » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:41 pm

It's very odd, some of the frequencies just aren't locking at certain points, even though the signal levels look OK. What's the cable/amplifier/splitter layout? Are there any other electronic devices in close proximity to the HDHomeRun that might be causing interference on certain frequencies?
The outside cable come into the house into my basement. Where it comes in, I have a 5 tier shelf (about 4' wide and 2' deep). The top shelf I have a cable modem, 8 port switch and the three primes, but they are not located near each other. All 4 devices are attached via a single 4 way splitter. The next tier in the shelf has a small computer (Lenovo Tiny, so it's not big at all) running as a server, some usb hard drives, another 8 port switch, a monitor and a small UPS.

I moved in a year ago. Comcast ran a new line from the outside. About 6 months ago, Comcast then contacted me about about signal issues, so they came on-site, replaced the splitter and all the wires to the primes and modem. They check all the signal level and everything was normal.
This may be what you're experiencing if you're using Cisco NDS cable cards.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=69319#p327334
Thanks, but we already confirmed they are all Motorola cards.

foxbat121

Postby foxbat121 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:00 am

Diagnostic set up and scanned channels on all three units.

Thanks.

I would suspect you still have a singal problem. Base on my experience, cable co technicians aren't capable of completely diagnose the signal problem because they typically only use they gauge to check some generic signal level, not channel by channel. Channels that are on the top end of the spectrum tend to drop signal levels faster than the lower end. So, if you have 3 primes and TAs + cable modem, that will be 7/8 way splitter. Without a very strong signal come in, it is very easy to get low signals on top end channels (channels that use 850Mhz or higher frequencies) and hence fail the channel scan. It is not really easy tyo tell which channels occupy those frequencies (you can only view the frequency when tune to that channel and use the Prime's status page to see the signal frequencey and signal level).

Return to “HDHomeRun Software Setup & Troubleshooting (Live & DVR)”